What is the Probability of Passing a Test by Randomly Guessing?

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: That would make the prob for a student who has studied 3/4=1/2 to pass the test. The prob for a student who has not studied is 10/40=1/8. So the prob for a student who has not studied and passed the test is (1/2)*(1/8)+1/4=3/16.
kenny1999

Homework Statement

This is another probability that drives me crazy.

The question is:

A test consists of 6 M.C. questions and each question has 4 options. Students have to answer all questions, 1 mark awarded for each correct answer, no marks deducted for incorrect answers. The passing mark of the test is 4. Suppose a student answers all questions by guessing randomly if he does not prepare for the test.

(a) If Mary forgets to prepare for the test, find the probability that

(iii) Mary passes the test

(b) 40 students take the test and 10 of them do not prepare for the test. Assume students who have prepared for the test can pass the test.

(i) If 2 students are selected from the class at random, find the probability that both of them pass the test.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)(iii) is it P(4 answered correct) + P(5 answered correct) + P(6 answered correct)?

(b) (i) This is a big trouble for me. 40 students, 30 students have prepared but 10 students haven't. OK. Because of the assumption given, 30 students should have passed the exam, but how about the remaining 10 students? how can I know how many of them passes the test among the 10 lazy students?

Physics news on Phys.org
kenny1999 said:

Homework Statement

This is another probability that drives me crazy.

The question is:

A test consists of 6 M.C. questions and each question has 4 options. Students have to answer all questions, 1 mark awarded for each correct answer, no marks deducted for incorrect answers. The passing mark of the test is 4. Suppose a student answers all questions by guessing randomly if he does not prepare for the test.

(a) If Mary forgets to prepare for the test, find the probability that

(iii) Mary passes the test

(b) 40 students take the test and 10 of them do not prepare for the test. Assume students who have prepared for the test can pass the test.

(i) If 2 students are selected from the class at random, find the probability that both of them pass the test.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)(iii) is it P(4 answered correct) + P(5 answered correct) + P(6 answered correct)?
Yes. Now what are those probabilitiies?

(b) (i) This is a big trouble for me. 40 students, 30 students have prepared but 10 students haven't. OK. Because of the assumption given, 30 students should have passed the exam, but how about the remaining 10 students? how can I know how many of them passes the test among the 10 lazy students?[/QUOTE]
You don't know but you can calculate the probability. If a student has studied, he has 100% prob of passing. If a student has not studied, the probability of passsing is what you got in (a). What you want is a "weighted average" of those two numbers. A student0picked at random (assumed to mean all 40 students are "equally likely" to be chosen) then the probability he has studied is 30/40=3/4 and the probability he has not is 10/40= 1/4. The probability a student passes is "prob he has studied times prob he passes given that he studied plus prob he has not studied times prob he passes given that he did not study".

(a)(iii) Not quite. P(3 answered correct) is also a pass, assuming that 50% is a pass.

What does "I always fear probability 2" mean?

"I always fear probability 2" refers to a feeling of anxiety or worry about the likelihood of a certain event or outcome that has a 50% chance of happening.

Why is probability 2 often feared?

Probability 2 is often feared because it represents a 50/50 chance of something happening, which can feel uncertain and unpredictable. Humans tend to prefer situations with more certainty and control, so the idea of a 50% chance can be unsettling.

Can fear of probability 2 be overcome?

Yes, fear of probability 2 can be overcome with understanding and acceptance of the concept of probability. It is important to recognize that probability is a natural part of life and cannot always be controlled. Learning to embrace uncertainty and manage anxiety can help alleviate fear of probability 2.

How can understanding probability help in everyday life?

Understanding probability can help in everyday life by allowing individuals to make informed decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes. It can also help in managing expectations and avoiding unnecessary worry or stress about uncertain situations.

What are some common examples of probability 2 in everyday life?

Some common examples of probability 2 in everyday life include flipping a coin, rolling a die, or guessing the outcome of a coin toss. It can also be seen in weather forecasts, where there is a 50% chance of rain or sun. Additionally, many decisions involve a 50/50 chance, such as choosing between two options or taking a risk with uncertain outcomes.