Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am a Beginner

1. Jun 29, 2014 #1
    Hey guys, I recently joined this forum and so far I'm loving every bit of information all of you have posted. There is one problem with my current position, I am a beginner and I don't quite understand the "rules" and "equations" of physics and mathematics. If you guys could help me on where I could get started to understand physics AND mathematics. I have attempted to learn physics by myself, although it was only the basics of velocity, distance, and time. I am a freak when it comes to astronomy and I love to learn. Hope to see you guys in further debates.
    Thanks,

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Welcome to our forum cyber850!

Can you tell us more about your current math knowledge? What do you know well, what are you struggling with, what would you like to know?

And the same for physics.

4. Jun 29, 2014 #3
    If you want to learn on your own, I'd suggest downloading some books and read from the beginning to end doing all the practice problems along the way. That takes a lot of time, but if you have the determination and interest, you can do it, and you'll learn a lot.
    A lot of people try to learn on their own by watching videos and looking up stuff on websites. But that kinda leaves gaps in your knowledge, from what I've noticed. A book will take you step by step through the information so there's no gaps. I think, in order to really understand a subject, you need to slowly build on what you already know instead of reading about sporadic topics that you may understand only part of.
    And if you need help finding books on topics you want to learn, you could either ask here, or if you're enrolled in college, you can go to the college website and see what books are being assigned to a class you're not taking, but want to learn about on your own.

5. Jun 29, 2014 #4
    As I said I am a beginner but I have a passion to learn. I have knowledge on advanced functions, although I will be going into calculus next year and for physics, I know the basics of the calculations of some equations and some understanding of the terms. I also want to major in astrophysics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook