Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am a doctor of medicine . i want to learn calculus for the fun of

1. May 18, 2010 #1
    i am a doctor of medicine . i want to learn calculus for the fun of it. it eluded me while in school 20 yrs ago. i want to know from where and how.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Re: calculus

Go to www.khanacademy.org. It's a great place to learn calculus, especially if it isn't from a class.

After that, well, I'm still exploring that.

4. May 18, 2010 #3

I suggest Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Thompson. It's about a hundred years old, but in my opinion it is the most intuitive and lively intro to calculus ever written.

5. May 18, 2010 #4

It depends what you want really. Do you want a mathematically rigorous text, or just a fun calculus book that's not so serious mathematically?

If you want a book that is mathematically rigorous then there is Spivak's Calculus, and also Courant and John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis. However, if you're not familiar with proofs or maybe you feel your mathematics is a bit rusty then you may find these books a bit much. On the other hand, you are a doctor so they probably shouldn't be beyond your reach. Spivak is more rigorous and challenging, Courant and John's exposition is more gentle and contains applications to physics which you might enjoy. Both books are great fun.

If you don't want a rigorous book then I recommend Morris Kline's Calculus, which has the advantage of being cheap (but is a very good quality book. In general the price of a book has little to do with its quality.)

All the above books cover single-variable calculus, which is usually covered in one year.
    Also check out the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21" section. You can search the forum for old threads on a similar topic, which you may find helpful.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  6. May 18, 2010 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a delightful book by W. M. Priestly "Calculus: An Historical Approach" published by Springer-Verlag ISBN 0-387-90349-6.

The copyright is 1979 and I don't know if it is out of print or hard to get. It might be just what you are looking for if you can find one.

Edit: I just checked and it is available on Amazon.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook