I am a doctor of medicinei want to learn calculus for the fun of

In summary, if you want to learn calculus for fun, a great place to start is www.khanacademy.org. For a more intuitive and lively introduction, you can try Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Thompson or Morris Kline's Calculus. For a more rigorous approach, consider Spivak's Calculus or Courant and John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis. Additionally, you may find helpful discussions on the topic on the Physics Forums website. If you're interested in the historical aspect of calculus, you can also check out W. M. Priestly's "Calculus: An Historical Approach." This book may be available for purchase or rental on Amazon.com.
sonalipverma
i am a doctor of medicine . i want to learn calculus for the fun of it. it eluded me while in school 20 yrs ago. i want to know from where and how.

Physics news on Phys.org

Go to www.khanacademy.org. It's a great place to learn calculus, especially if it isn't from a class.

After that, well, I'm still exploring that.

I suggest Calculus Made Easy by Silvanus Thompson. It's about a hundred years old, but in my opinion it is the most intuitive and lively intro to calculus ever written.

It depends what you want really. Do you want a mathematically rigorous text, or just a fun calculus book that's not so serious mathematically?

If you want a book that is mathematically rigorous then there is Spivak's Calculus, and also Courant and John's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis. However, if you're not familiar with proofs or maybe you feel your mathematics is a bit rusty then you may find these books a bit much. On the other hand, you are a doctor so they probably shouldn't be beyond your reach. Spivak is more rigorous and challenging, Courant and John's exposition is more gentle and contains applications to physics which you might enjoy. Both books are great fun.

If you don't want a rigorous book then I recommend Morris Kline's Calculus, which has the advantage of being cheap (but is a very good quality book. In general the price of a book has little to do with its quality.)

All the above books cover single-variable calculus, which is usually covered in one year.
Also check out the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21" section. You can search the forum for old threads on a similar topic, which you may find helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is a delightful book by W. M. Priestly "Calculus: An Historical Approach" published by Springer-Verlag ISBN 0-387-90349-6.

The copyright is 1979 and I don't know if it is out of print or hard to get. It might be just what you are looking for if you can find one.

Edit: I just checked and it is available on Amazon.com

1. What is the connection between being a doctor of medicine and learning calculus for fun?

There is no direct connection between the two. However, as a doctor of medicine, you have a strong foundation in science and math which can make learning calculus more manageable and enjoyable.

2. Is learning calculus necessary for being a doctor of medicine?

No, calculus is not a requirement for being a doctor of medicine. However, having a basic understanding of calculus can be beneficial when it comes to making medical calculations and understanding certain medical concepts.

3. How can learning calculus benefit someone in the medical field?

Calculus involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and analyzing data, all of which are important skills for a doctor of medicine. It can also help with understanding medical research and data analysis.

4. Is it difficult to learn calculus as a doctor of medicine?

It can be challenging, especially if you have not studied math in a while or are not familiar with calculus. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn calculus, regardless of their background.

5. What resources are available for a doctor of medicine to learn calculus?

There are many online resources, such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive courses, that can help you learn calculus. You can also consider taking a class at a local community college or seeking help from a tutor.