Did I Fail? My College Rejection Story.

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Failure
In summary, the individual was rejected by their first choice college and is feeling upset about it. Other individuals offer words of encouragement and share their own experiences of rejection and success. The individual is reminded to not let this rejection define them and to keep pursuing their dreams. They are also reminded that there are many other opportunities available and to not get too discouraged.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
I got rejected by the college of my choice.

I feel terrible now.

End.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry to hear that. But don't let it get you too down.

Einstein was once so down that he considered selling life insurance.

Work hard and try to be the 1 whom they regret their decision!:wink:

Char. Limit said:

I feel terrible now.

End.

Take it on board and work hard and do better and remember the day that you got turned down and you'll laugh about it in 5-10 years time.

Don't worry, world doesn't end here :smile:

Char. Limit said:

I feel terrible now.

End.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you applied to more than one college, so will still obtain a good education. Many people are not accepted by their first choice college, and it is certainly not the end of the world. Don't give up, don't think of yourself as a failure, and just ensure you put all the effort in that you can when you get to college.

I'm sure there are other good schools. Chin up and good luck with the next.

I also got rejected from the college of my choice (a highly ranked private university). Instead, I went to a large public university (with a scholarship). I graduated with very little debt (already paid off after 3 years in grad school) and am pursuing a PhD at a top 10 university. Of course, when I applied to grad school, the university that I had wanted to attend for undergrad accepted me into their graduate program, but unfortunately I had to reject their offer :)

Char. Limit said:

I feel terrible now.

End.

HI , Never feel depressed

Life is a challenge, and I’m staying in the game to win.
Robert M. Hensel

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
George Bernard Shaw

Are you in the game!
play with zeal

your's friendly
physixlover

The only way you are a failure is by thinking you are a failure; you create your own reality.

If the future of your dreams is something you want bad enough, you will not let this hurt you in the least.

Don't let it get you down Char, you never know what opportunities may come your way by going to a different school.

Char. Limit said:

I feel terrible now.End.

I am sorry to hear that, Char. This does not mean that you are a complete failure though, even if you feel that way.

This may also be a blessing. Let me clarify that. Freshman dropout rate across the country is pretty high. Lots of students apply but have no idea what they want to do with their lives yet, no idea what to major in. They are just accepted, take up a spot of a serious student, get in absurd debt, and then drop out or change major.

This may be a great time to figure out what you want to do, and explore different options. Assess your grades, or attend a community college. They pretty much accept everyone. World doesn't end here, it begins. Then reapply, or apply to other universities.

Rejection sucks. But you should get used to it... life is full of rejection: colleges, jobs, women, journal articles, you name it!

The good news is that the acceptances in life generally make up for the pains of the rejections, which are usually fleeting.

I agree with TMFKAN64. Yes, you might have been rejected from college and be condemned to a career as a garbage man. Yes, an obese, homely, dim-witted girl may be the best that you can find to marry.

But, you can still find happiness through your kids' lives. No matter how dismal your own life may be, you may get lucky and have kids as intelligent and good-looking as your next door neighbor.

BobG said:
No matter how dismal your own life may be, you may get lucky and have kids as intelligent and good-looking as your next door neighbor.
Better than them looking like the mailman.

No one gets anywhere being all depressed and the like, well except for those emo bands, they seem to pull off the depression thing pretty well.

But feeling sorry for yourself will get you no where and you look like a baby. Pull your pants up and try again. Be a MAN!

Char. Limit said:

I feel terrible now.

End.

Was this for undergrad?

Char. Limit said:

I feel terrible now.

End.

Hang in there. Don't let your self-esteem be defined by what you don't achieve. There are always other opportunities - especially for someone of your abilities. If the college didn't recognize your talents, let it be their loss. :smile:

Char, remember some colleges have quotas and people get turned down for being in the wrong demographic.

Welcome to the club Char.

Evo said:
Char, remember some colleges have quotas and people get turned down for being in the wrong demographic.

Char meet Limit?

Thanks for all the support. I still have one college in the wings, and I'm going to apply to more soon. At the time of the original post, I had just gotten the letter, and was feeling pretty dejected. Amazing what a little sleep can fix. As it turns out, I am the wrong demographic (WASP Male), but I think that I can find another college to pursue my dream job... Chemist or physicist. Not sure which one. And yes, this was for undergrad.

Char. Limit said:
Thanks for all the support. I still have one college in the wings, and I'm going to apply to more soon. At the time of the original post, I had just gotten the letter, and was feeling pretty dejected. Amazing what a little sleep can fix. As it turns out, I am the wrong demographic (WASP Male), but I think that I can find another college to pursue my dream job... Chemist or physicist. Not sure which one. And yes, this was for undergrad.

No worries, then. You'll just go to your 1st choice college for graduate studies.

Where did you get rejected? Your secret is safe with us. :biggrin:

Relax, it's not the end of the world... yet. :devil:

If your goal is a career in science, consider rejection as practice for later...you'll see a lot more of it. I know, that sounds harsh, but it isn't really...it's all in how you learn to deal with it. Each time I've been rejected from something in life, whether a college, a love interest, a job, a grant proposal, etc., it has forced me to look at another direction I hadn't considered. Maybe I've been lucky, but each new direction I've taken because another path got blocked has turned out pretty well, often FAR better than the original direction I was planning to take. In several cases, I've looked back and realized that in retrospect, there was a good reason for my rejection, and it's because I really wasn't suited for that path and would have probably wound up miserable had I tried following it anyway.

So, embrace your rejection as a nudge in a better direction. :smile:

1. What is "Did I Fail? My College Rejection Story?"

"Did I Fail? My College Rejection Story" is a personal narrative about an individual's experience with being rejected from college. It describes their thoughts, emotions, and reflections on the experience.

2. Why is this story important?

This story is important because it sheds light on the reality of college rejections and the impact it can have on individuals. It also highlights the importance of resilience and the ability to persevere in the face of failure.

3. How does this story relate to the college admissions process?

This story is a firsthand account of the college admissions process and the emotional toll it can take on individuals. It also explores the societal pressure and expectations surrounding college acceptances.

4. Is this story relatable to others?

Yes, this story is relatable to many individuals who have experienced rejection or failure in their own lives, especially in the context of college admissions. It also offers a sense of comfort and understanding to those who may be going through a similar experience.

5. What can be learned from this story?

This story teaches us the importance of resilience, self-reflection, and growth in the face of failure. It also encourages individuals to not let one rejection define their worth or future opportunities, but rather to use it as a learning experience and motivation for future success.