Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Am A Failure

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I got rejected by the college of my choice.

I feel terrible now.

End.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry to hear that. But don't let it get you too down.

Einstein was once so down that he considered selling life insurance.

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

Work hard and try to be the 1 whom they regret their decision!:wink:

5. Mar 12, 2010 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

Take it on board and work hard and do better and remember the day that you got turned down and you'll laugh about it in 5-10 years time.

6. Mar 12, 2010 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Don't worry, world doesn't end here :smile:

7. Mar 12, 2010 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you applied to more than one college, so will still obtain a good education. Many people are not accepted by their first choice college, and it is certainly not the end of the world. Don't give up, don't think of yourself as a failure, and just ensure you put all the effort in that you can when you get to college.

8. Mar 12, 2010 #7
    I'm sure there are other good schools. Chin up and good luck with the next.

9. Mar 12, 2010 #8

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

I also got rejected from the college of my choice (a highly ranked private university). Instead, I went to a large public university (with a scholarship). I graduated with very little debt (already paid off after 3 years in grad school) and am pursuing a PhD at a top 10 university. Of course, when I applied to grad school, the university that I had wanted to attend for undergrad accepted me into their graduate program, but unfortunately I had to reject their offer :)

10. Mar 12, 2010 #9
    HI , Never feel depressed

Life is a challenge, and I’m staying in the game to win.
    Robert M. Hensel

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
    George Bernard Shaw

Are you in the game!!!
    play with zeal

your's friendly
    physixlover

11. Mar 12, 2010 #10
    The only way you are a failure is by thinking you are a failure; you create your own reality.

If the future of your dreams is something you want bad enough, you will not let this hurt you in the least.

12. Mar 12, 2010 #11

Evo

Don't let it get you down Char, you never know what opportunities may come your way by going to a different school.

13. Mar 12, 2010 #12

Dembadon

Gold Member

I am sorry to hear that, Char. This does not mean that you are a complete failure though, even if you feel that way.

14. Mar 12, 2010 #13
    This may also be a blessing. Let me clarify that. Freshman dropout rate across the country is pretty high. Lots of students apply but have no idea what they want to do with their lives yet, no idea what to major in. They are just accepted, take up a spot of a serious student, get in absurd debt, and then drop out or change major.

This may be a great time to figure out what you want to do, and explore different options. Assess your grades, or attend a community college. They pretty much accept everyone. World doesn't end here, it begins. Then reapply, or apply to other universities.

15. Mar 12, 2010 #14
    Rejection sucks. But you should get used to it... life is full of rejection: colleges, jobs, women, journal articles, you name it!

The good news is that the acceptances in life generally make up for the pains of the rejections, which are usually fleeting.

16. Mar 12, 2010 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree with TMFKAN64. Yes, you might have been rejected from college and be condemned to a career as a garbage man. Yes, an obese, homely, dim-witted girl may be the best that you can find to marry.

But, you can still find happiness through your kids' lives. No matter how dismal your own life may be, you may get lucky and have kids as intelligent and good-looking as your next door neighbor.

17. Mar 12, 2010 #16

Evo

Better than them looking like the mailman.

18. Mar 12, 2010 #17
    No one gets anywhere being all depressed and the like, well except for those emo bands, they seem to pull off the depression thing pretty well.

But feeling sorry for yourself will get you no where and you look like a baby. Pull your pants up and try again. Be a MAN!

19. Mar 12, 2010 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Was this for undergrad?

20. Mar 12, 2010 #19

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hang in there. Don't let your self-esteem be defined by what you don't achieve. There are always other opportunities - especially for someone of your abilities. If the college didn't recognize your talents, let it be their loss. :smile:

21. Mar 12, 2010 #20

Evo

Char, remember some colleges have quotas and people get turned down for being in the wrong demographic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook