Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am a loser loser loser loser loser

1. Dec 21, 2008 #1
    I am a loser loser loser loser loser....

So, how do you get out of a painful situation when you actually reached a beautiful smart girl after 2 days of calling her and couldn't think of anything to say that wasn't relativity-related?

[bangs head on wall]

I demand pity...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2008 #2
    Re: I am a loser loser loser loser loser....

Quick, call her up while you still have time and dazzle her with an explanation of the statistical nature of wave mechanics.

4. Dec 21, 2008 #3

Just ask her out to dinner.

5. Dec 21, 2008 #4

As soon as she will make it clear that she cannot be my girlfriend, I will do that right away. Maybe make sure every Friday evening for her begins with a lecture.

Won't that freak her out? We don't know each other that well...

6. Dec 21, 2008 #5

You're worried about dinner freaking her out after talking to her about relativity? I don't think asking her out to dinner would scare her (it might scare you though).

7. Dec 21, 2008 #6

If dinner is too much, how about coffee?

8. Dec 21, 2008 #7

Everyone eats dinner, why not eat with a friend. Doesn't have to be a super swank place. Make it casual.

9. Dec 21, 2008 #8

I didn't really talk to her about relativity that much, but I couldn't think of anything to talk but relativity. And yes, the dinner part scares me. First, I don't have a car. Second, I wouldn't know how to act even if I had one. Third, what do normal people talk about anyway?

lol good idea. Starbucks ftw.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  10. Dec 21, 2008 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you need a car to go to dinner? You could take a cab, or go somewhere close to hers so you can walk. As for what to talk about: what do you talk about with anyone of your other friends? You can't solely have conversations about physics, or else things would get incredibly boring, no?

That said, last night some of my friends who are very much not physicists actually instigated a conversation about string theory and cosmology with me. I was amazed, but they said they found the subject fascinating and that it was good to have me to explain things to them.

Anyway, I wouldn't encourage you to start a discussion about relativity. Just ask questions about her, try to find a common ground, etc etc. It's not that hard to find something to talk about with a stranger, is it?

11. Dec 21, 2008 #10

It's about getting to know each other. Find out what she likes, favorite music, food, where she's from, school subjects she likes, hobbies... Somewhere in there you're going to find common interests and before you know it, you'll be reaching for a cigarette.

12. Dec 21, 2008 #11

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I never quite found that out but ask about, get her to talk about, herself and participate - all obviously necessary and it may lead to natural conversation.

13. Dec 21, 2008 #12

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Years ago, I met a cute, interesting chick. At the time, I was working with general relativity, about which she said very dismissively and caustically "General relativity isn't even a theory!" (True story.)

Look what happened,

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1844073#post1844073.

People have been giving you good advice.

14. Dec 21, 2008 #13

Pythagorean

Gold Member

it either will or it won't. Independent of that, she's either interested in you or she isn't. The only way to find out to put yourself out there. Just remember there's other fish in the sea, and you'll never be able to move on to them if you get hung up at this stage. You have to go get rejected or accepted so you can move on to the next step and be progressive about it and allow yourself to develop emotionally.

15. Dec 21, 2008 #14

All right, guys, I think I kinda have a guideline of what I will talk about tomorrow, thank you :) And George Jones, don't scare me like that! :P

16. Dec 21, 2008 #15

Good to see, just remember these three golden rules of dating:

1. Be yourself.

2. If rule 1 fails, act like someone else.

3. Don't stare at her breasts; try to look her in the eyes.

Let us know how it goes :!!)

17. Dec 21, 2008 #16

That's what dating is. People wouldn't do stupid awkward things like go out to dinner together if they already had a lot to talk about. If you're younger I'd opt for a movie over dinner (because dinner can be just as awkward as sitting on the phone)... If there's any kind of physical attraction the atmosphere might get you some spontaneous snuggling or hand holding or something (that'll melt the ice right quick), and you'll have the movie to discuss when it's over.

18. Dec 21, 2008 #17

All right, I do believe we have a winner
    If the movie thing works out, I owe you... a lot....

19. Dec 21, 2008 #18

If you're feeling really adventurous google the "hole in the popcorn bucket trick" :p

Hey, glad I could be some help. Good luck!

20. Dec 21, 2008 #19

If you don't know what to talk about, get her to talk about herself. Make a mostly positive observation about her, then ask "You seem to be ______, how'd you get to be like that?". Use social intuition from there.

EDIT: Also, try not to get friend zoned... It will happen very fast if you treat her as a friend and keep conversations platonic.

21. Dec 22, 2008 #20

You already know what I'm going to say, so I aint even gonna bother saying it no mo. Word 2 ya mutha.

[​IMG]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?