I am a Monster

• Thread starter scorpa
  • Start date
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Great news Scorpa!!!!

Now that I have moved closer to the city, my cat has to remain indoors for his safety. He is so depressed since he's always been able to run free. He's used to running across empty fields and laying out in the sun. He's getting fat without the excersize. I'm going to have to get him used to a harness and get him outside.

Aww...poor Dr. Foofer. Yeah, sounds like you moved into a pretty small place compared to even the house he was used to. I have toys everywhere for Ember so she doesn't get bored (I make her run up and down the stairs to catch her fuzzy mice, balls and feather lures, so she gets lots of exercise...though she got her booster shots yesterday and is just moping around today acting grouchy :frown:). I got her used to a harness too, though the neighbors' dogs must all have fleas, because every time I took her outside, she'd come in with a stowaway flea. It took a little time to get her used to it, but with some patience, it can be done. I started out with just putting it on, giving her a treat, and taking it back off about a minute later, and then gradually started to put it on and let her play with the end of the lead (that was more fun than a treat). When I first put it on her, she crouch down and roll around and definitely was focused on getting it off. When she stopped rolling around so much, and just crouched down, I would use the lead or a feather lure to distract her and get her walking with the harness on. It's not like walking a dog where you are in the lead and they follow. I had to just let her do the leading while I followed to get her used to the idea of this thing around her and me following.

I haven't gone so far as to try walking her around the block or anything...I think I'd laugh to hard at myself for that. But, she can go out on the deck with me on nice days and chase falling leaves or crickets. I used to let her go out and play in the grass too, but that's where she was picking up the fleas, so she only gets to go as far as I do on the deck now (I've sprayed the lawn for fleas, but of course I'm also not letting her walk through insecticide-sprayed lawn either). Then again, I have her fooled into thinking the garage is someplace she's not supposed to be, so it's a really big treat if she "sneaks" past me into the garage.

Or, you could just put up your Christmas tree early. :biggrin: I started to assemble mine this weekend (so I can do the rest of the decorating over the Thanksgiving weekend), and Ember is once again enjoying climbing it. Which reminds me that I need to get some string to secure it to the wall so she doesn't topple it...she's not as light as she was last year, but now wants to climb all the way to the top...I've been half hoping she will knock it over before I start putting on ornaments so she'll be scared away from it, but also worried that she'll crash it into something that I don't want broken (like me or her!)

Evo
Mentor
Aww...poor Dr. Foofer. Yeah, sounds like you moved into a pretty small place compared to even the house he was used to. I have toys everywhere for Ember so she doesn't get bored (I make her run up and down the stairs to catch her fuzzy mice, balls and feather lures, so she gets lots of exercise...though she got her booster shots yesterday and is just moping around today acting grouchy :frown:). I got her used to a harness too, though the neighbors' dogs must all have fleas, because every time I took her outside, she'd come in with a stowaway flea. It took a little time to get her used to it, but with some patience, it can be done. I started out with just putting it on, giving her a treat, and taking it back off about a minute later, and then gradually started to put it on and let her play with the end of the lead (that was more fun than a treat). When I first put it on her, she crouch down and roll around and definitely was focused on getting it off. When she stopped rolling around so much, and just crouched down, I would use the lead or a feather lure to distract her and get her walking with the harness on. It's not like walking a dog where you are in the lead and they follow. I had to just let her do the leading while I followed to get her used to the idea of this thing around her and me following.

I haven't gone so far as to try walking her around the block or anything...I think I'd laugh to hard at myself for that. But, she can go out on the deck with me on nice days and chase falling leaves or crickets. I used to let her go out and play in the grass too, but that's where she was picking up the fleas, so she only gets to go as far as I do on the deck now (I've sprayed the lawn for fleas, but of course I'm also not letting her walk through insecticide-sprayed lawn either). Then again, I have her fooled into thinking the garage is someplace she's not supposed to be, so it's a really big treat if she "sneaks" past me into the garage.

Or, you could just put up your Christmas tree early. :biggrin: I started to assemble mine this weekend (so I can do the rest of the decorating over the Thanksgiving weekend), and Ember is once again enjoying climbing it. Which reminds me that I need to get some string to secure it to the wall so she doesn't topple it...she's not as light as she was last year, but now wants to climb all the way to the top...I've been half hoping she will knock it over before I start putting on ornaments so she'll be scared away from it, but also worried that she'll crash it into something that I don't want broken (like me or her!)
Great advice, thanks!!! Since he's almost 10 years old, even though he's very laid back, I know he's going to think I've lost my mind, but maybe the sights and smells outside will be enough of a diversion for him.

Right now I have a box in front of a window with the blinds raised where he sits and watches the squirrels. We didn't have squirrels before since there were no big trees and he didn't dare mess with the possums, well, he did get bitten that one time. He's just not a fighter. He's also not a hunter and he won't play with cat toys. I dangle them in front of him and he just walks off. :frown:

Both Foof and Ricco are so bored that every time I sit in front of the computer, they jump into my lap. I've started wearing satin pajama pants and they jump up, skid off my lap and back onto the floor. :biggrin:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Right now I have a box in front of a window with the blinds raised where he sits and watches the squirrels. We didn't have squirrels before since there were no big trees and he didn't dare mess with the possums, well, he did get bitten that one time. He's just not a fighter. He's also not a hunter and he won't play with cat toys. I dangle them in front of him and he just walks off. :frown:

Hmm...that's tougher if he isn't interested in cat toys. Ember thinks EVERYTHING is a cat toy, so I haven't had that problem. :rolleyes: She steals anything small enough for her to carry.

I have her scratching post in front of the picture window at the front of the house, so she can sit on it (has a platform on top) and watch what's going on outside. She's usually more interested in looking out the back door though, which has windows down at her level so she can just sit on the floor...that's where the bird feeder is, so she watches and chatters at birds. From watching what the farm cats are doing, I'm not sure they do a whole lot during the day other than lounge around anyway. But, maybe you could get him one of those things I call cat gymnasiums...the scratching-post-like things that have extra seats and are tall and give them something interesting to climb, or different levels of "perches" to sit on and watch what's going on around.

If he's not really a hunter, I'm not sure how helpful this would be, but instead of cat toys, you could put little bits of food or treats in things he has to spend a little time working to get open. That's what they do with the "big cats" at zoos to keep them from getting bored too, it's like puzzles for them to work at getting food and then they get the food as a treat when they figure it out. But, he might just decide the food dish is easier...at least he'd have the option.

I'm laughing at the mental picture of the animals skidding of your lap with silk pajamas. :rofl: How about getting him some tunnels to run through? Ember really likes those too. She thinks she's being clever hiding in them before she ambushes my ankles in the morning...you'd think after a year of playing the same game, she'd be tired of it, but this morning when she wasn't being playful, that's when I noticed she wasn't feeling well after her shots...I walked past the tunnel and didn't get tackled!

Or, if skidding off silk pajamas seems to be fun for them, maybe find something to suit that interest. What about finding one of those little plastic slides for toddlers? You know, the ones that are about 2 ft high? You could try putting some carpet on the rungs as a scratching post type thing, and a little at the very top of the platform, and then they could slide on the slide part of that for some reason intrigued them.

Evo
Mentor
Those are great ideas. I'm going to have to invest in some sort of cat castle/gymnasium. Especially since Foofer has taken to the armchair as a scratching post. :grumpy:

turbo
Gold Member
Evo, maybe you and your cat could find an "exercise" game to play together that needn't involve toys, since he doesn't seem interested in them.

My late ferret Turbo got plenty of exercise because he absolutely loved "ferret bowling". I'd slap my hands of the floor and he would run over and play a game of "keep away" until he wanted to be caught, then I'd flip him onto his back, tickle him and rough him up (getting play-bites in return), then I'd scale him across the slippery Pergo floor on his back until he could right himself and get his little legs churning to stop the sliding and run back for another round. Usually, after 15 minutes or so, he'd be all tuckered out and he would come back to me and put his front legs on my leg, wanting to be picked up and held so he could take a snooze.

Evo
Mentor
Evo, maybe you and your cat could find an "exercise" game to play together that needn't involve toys, since he doesn't seem interested in them.

My late ferret Turbo got plenty of exercise because he absolutely loved "ferret bowling". I'd slap my hands of the floor and he would run over and play a game of "keep away" until he wanted to be caught, then I'd flip him onto his back, tickle him and rough him up (getting play-bites in return), then I'd scale him across the slippery Pergo floor on his back until he could right himself and get his little legs churning to stop the sliding and run back for another round. Usually, after 15 minutes or so, he'd be all tuckered out and he would come back to me and put his front legs on my leg, wanting to be picked up and held so he could take a snooze.
Aww, that's so sweet! I guess I can keep him going for awhile with the satin pants, except he's starting to learn to jump with his claws out now. :grumpy:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

That could work too. Ember and I do things like that too...I don't bowl her :uhh: but we do wrestle and play "fight." (Can you tell she's an active cat?) Sometimes she'll sit up and I'll just bat at her paws like we're sparring, or I'll tickle her belly while she bunny kicks me, etc., and then she'll have enough, run off, and 30 sec later come back for more. :biggrin: We play "tag" too. The scratching post is "base." She'll run up, bat me in the leg, I'll give chase around the sofas, give her a tumble and scratch behind the ears, she'll take her turn again, and when she's had enough, she runs to the scratching post and practically hugs the thing, which signals the game is over.

Of course, right now, she's still too grouchy to play anything. :frown: She had no reaction whatsoever to her shots last year, but this year, the rabies shot seems to have gotten to her (that's the one that left a tender lump...since she got that shot over her hip, I can't really pick her up at all and support her weight without bumping it, and she's definitely not feeling her usual self...I was holding her in my lap and she was just growling, but not trying to bite or run or any of the things we usually play at when I hold her...I hate that...I know she doesn't feel well and there's nothing I can do to comfort her or make her feel better other than let her run off and hide...the only comfort I have is that I know it's just from the shots and will get better quickly).