Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am a Sexist, Apparently.

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I held the door open for someone today. I've been taught that opening the door for people is the courteous thing to do. This person whom I held the door open for happened to be a woman. For my kindness and courtesy towards a fellow human being, I was named a sexist and a male chauvinist pig (or something like that.)

So, should I consider the correct course of action to be "hold the door open for men, but ignore women, they can handle a door"? Cause I can do that.

My alternate: next time someone calls me out on this "sexism", I'll say this:

"I was just holding the door open for a fellow human being, something you seem to have forgotten I am..."

then sue for sexual harassment on account of her calling me a sexist for little to no reason.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

I am both a sexist and a chauvinist, and there is nothing wrong with that. That being said, I do hold the door for whoever is behind me

4. Feb 19, 2010 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Well, if this is what being a sexist is, I'm proud of it. I shall now embrace sexism as much as possible, as sexism is (apparently) synonymous with courtesy!

So, let's see, I guess VAWA and women's jobs can go, as well as birth control...

(this is a joke. I'm NOT being serious with this last paragraph)

5. Feb 19, 2010 #4
    That was not sexist, I hold doors too. Sexist would be : nevermind, women do that every month.

6. Feb 19, 2010 #5
    i've always considered myself as a bit old school. i always hold the door open for women, elderly, and children, not because i wish to demean them but because i was brought up that way, and its respect... its a common courtesy.
    i do alot of things old school-ly-ish, and i think that now a days thats not so so pc. cause of women's rights movements and the like. i'm not treating you differently cause i think less of you.
    but if someone called me a sexist for opening the door for them, i'd probably just close it on their face.

7. Feb 19, 2010 #6
    Seems like a lovely woman, the kind who trades scowls for smiles. If you let her anger you into not ever opening the door for a woman then she has just encouraged you to become sexist. She dove straight into the insults because it is what she needs to affirm her worldview that men are pigs. She is sexist. Don't make her problems your own.

I don't deal well with that type of aggression. A woman I kinda knew once questioned me when I held the door for her. I said, "Do you want to go in, or not?" Next time maybe I'll say something like "So, does this mean that you don't want to have sex with me?" Arguing about doors is ridiculous.

Really, how did opening doors become the symbol of sexism when there are so many other things that are really sexist?

8. Feb 19, 2010 #7
    Whats she doing out of the kitchen? lol

9. Feb 19, 2010 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The correct response was to push her back through the door and slam it in her face. The proper way to do it breaks at least 3 facial bones.

10. Feb 19, 2010 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

Wow! We have so many gentleman here!:smile:
    I rarely hold the door for the next person.

11. Feb 19, 2010 #10
    lol, how old is she?

12. Feb 19, 2010 #11

Char. Limit

Gold Member

She was about 25 or so. Single, obviously.

Huckleberry, that's a good point you have there. I do have one question: what do you think of my alternate response? The first part, I mean. The second part was only half serious, although if I thought I could get away with it, I would do it.

Honestly, I don't think of myself as a gentleman. Holding doors open for people isn't gentlemanly, it's plain decent.

13. Feb 19, 2010 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What a jerk :D

14. Feb 19, 2010 #13
    i'd just tell her i think it's great that she's exploring her sexuality.

seriously tho, women are still crazy at that age. just laugh it off and give her a couple more years to mature.

15. Feb 19, 2010 #14

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pah, not snarky enough. How about:

"I'll hold the door open for any sexist pig I want."

or maybe

"If it will make you feel better, I can slam it in your face...."

16. Feb 19, 2010 #15

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

I would have just given her a look like she's some kind of weird bug, and might say something like "it's that time of the month?"

17. Feb 19, 2010 #16

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Wow, Hurkyl. I love that first comment... And the second... and Cyclovenom's...

Also, it's not universally true, but many women are crazy at any age. There's a reason a lot of husbands wish their wives came with manuals or tech support.

Of course, my mom and my girlfriend aren't those types of women.

18. Feb 19, 2010 #17

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What if she is next Amy Bishop? You will hear later "how could it happened that authorities have not spotted there is something wrong about woman that violently reacts when someone holds the door open for her".

19. Feb 19, 2010 #18
    I think we have a winner.

20. Feb 19, 2010 #19

Char. Limit

Gold Member

And now I have just looked up Amy Bishop. Creepy, but I guess this is a case of Beware the Nice Ones, but with "Odd" instead of "Nice".

I find it funny that her last name is bishop. Kind of like old, kind Mother Teresa Strangler.

21. Feb 19, 2010 #20

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha, I love my grandmother. No matter what she automatically stops and waits for me to open the door for her; that's just how she expects the world to work.

22. Feb 19, 2010 #21

Lisa!

Gold Member

:rofl:

That's exactly what I think of men who don't hold the door for women!
    Honestly it seems impolite to me. Holding the door for a woman is the sign of respect, IMO!:wink:

23. Feb 19, 2010 #22
    She's got years of schooling to unlearn. Then there are the multiple pitfalls inherent in higher learning. Be kind. Give her a helping head start and throw the sexist card back in her face. "One more crack like that and we'll be talking sexual harassment with [sic] Human Resources." And don't forget to stare her down when you say it.

Gads, where did I learn this stuff!?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  24. Feb 19, 2010 #23

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Same here.

One could have asked "Having a bad day?", or "I'm sorry if your having a bad day" - and simply smile.

Or "You're welcome"

Don't let it get to oneself.

25. Feb 19, 2010 #24

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I see a lady coming out behind me, I make a special effort to close the door behind me so that she has to open it herself...this way...it's fair!

26. Feb 19, 2010 #25
    I can't agree with that Astronuc. There's war brewing against the indocrination of hatred coming out of academia. Maybe you're not in a position to notice. You can either take a stand or be put in your place as a male sexist pig.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook