I am amazed by the skills of some people here

• Thread starter yannbarvss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skills
In summary, the conversation introduces a new member, Yann, who is amazed by the skills of some people on the site. He is unsure of where to post his messages and introduces himself as a webmaster and dive instructor. The other members welcome him and discuss their own skills and interests. They also joke about the possibility of a Sarcastic Sciences department at UCLA.
yannbarvss
Hi, Guys...!

I am new on your site and I am amazed by the skills of some people here...
not too sure if this is the right place to be posting this msg

Let me introduce myself first :

I am Yann, a webmaster and dive instructor, 27 years old.

i have many questions about music, web , PC and education...

Where i can post my messages...

So, thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
yannbarvss said:
Hi, Guys...!

Where i can post my messages...

So, thanks a lot!

Here :approve:

Welcome to PF, Yann. I envy your diving abilitiy; I always wanted to take up SCUBA, because it's so peaceful and beautiful down there (well, not Lake Erie ). Unfortunately, my medical conditions precluded that.
You're right about the skills aspect. There are world-class experts on just about any scientific subject right here, and they're more than happy to help you learn anything that you want to know about. I am not one of them, but I seem to have a peculiar talent for thinking so far out of the box that it's not even in the same warehouse. Upon rare occassions, that has proven useful, so I might possibly be of service to you in the future.

Danger said:
You're right about the skills aspect. There are world-class experts on just about any scientific subject right here, and they're more than happy to help you learn anything that you want to know about.
"Scientific skills"? I am crushed, I tell you, just absolutely crushed. I had assumed he was referring to my penchant for sarcasm. It is not a skill that has come to me without great effort.

I suppose, though, this is supposed to be science forum, after all.

twisting_edge said:
"I had assumed he was referring to my penchant for sarcasm.

Well, that's so obvious that I didn't see any reason to bother mentioning it. If Elton John was on here, I wouldn't say 'Oh, we have a singer too'.

twisting_edge said:
"Scientific skills"? I am crushed, I tell you, just absolutely crushed. I had assumed he was referring to my penchant for sarcasm. It is not a skill that has come to me without great effort.

I suppose, though, this is supposed to be science forum, after all.
Perhaps it is your scientific approach to sarcasm - the precision of content and execution. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Perhaps it is your scientific approach to sarcasm -

I prefer a sarcastic approach to science. :biggrin:

yannbarvss said:
Hi, Guys...!

I am new on your site and I am amazed by the skills of some people here...
Welcome aboard !
I'm glad to hear that craftmanship :smile: :biggrin: is highly respected (and yes,yes,yes ::approve: many are skilful sailors here )

Math Is Hard said:
Don't you dare...

Last edited:
What's amazing is how warm a welcome this spambot is getting. I saw it post the same message on a different forum I browse.

yannbarvss said:
I am amazed by the skills of some people here...
Names please.

Math Is Hard said:

Doesn't UCLA have a very reputable Sarcastic Sciences department?

zoobyshoe said:
Doesn't UCLA have a very reputable Sarcastic Sciences department?

Absolutely. It's my minor. :cool:
The courses are challenging because you never quite know when the professors are being serious - as they are experts in sarcasm, you know.

Math Is Hard said:
Absolutely. It's my minor. :cool:
The courses are challenging because you never quite know when the professors are being serious - as they are experts in sarcasm, you know.

Must create a lot of tension when grades are passed out. "You seriously thought I gave you AN A?! I was being SARCASTIC!"

Oh yeah, I'm grading this one on a curve. *nod*

I'll never forget my Sarcastic Methods and Design midterm. The time allotted for the test was up and the student next to me asked the teacher if she could just finish her last answer. He said, "Sure, take all the time you want. We've all got nothing better to do than wait for you." Completely missing his sarcasm, she continued writing. He snatched her paper and gave her an A on the spot, and then cruelly scratched it out with a "oh, whoops!" and gave her an F. It was truly heartbreaking. Such a brutal, brutal class.

1. What skills are you referring to?

The skills that I am referring to are often related to problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity. These skills are commonly seen in fields such as engineering, mathematics, and the sciences.

2. How do these skills benefit society?

These skills are essential for advancements in technology, medicine, and other areas that improve our quality of life. They also contribute to economic growth and progress in various industries.

3. Are these skills innate or can they be learned?

While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards certain skills, they can also be learned and developed through education, practice, and experience.

4. Can anyone acquire these skills?

Yes, with dedication and effort, anyone can acquire and improve these skills. They may come more easily to some individuals, but with persistence and hard work, they can be developed by anyone.

5. How can I improve my own skills?

To improve your skills, you can seek out opportunities for learning and practicing, such as taking classes, attending workshops, and engaging in hands-on projects. You can also seek mentorship and guidance from individuals who possess the skills you want to develop.