Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am amazed by the skills of some people here

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    Hi, Guys...!!!

I am new on your site and I am amazed by the skills of some people here...
    not too sure if this is the right place to be posting this msg

Let me introduce myself first :

I am Yann, a webmaster and dive instructor, 27 years old.

i have many questions about music, web , PC and education...

Where i can post my messages...

So, thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2006 #2
    Here :approve:

4. Nov 24, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Yann. I envy your diving abilitiy; I always wanted to take up SCUBA, because it's so peaceful and beautiful down there (well, not Lake Erie :surprised ). Unfortunately, my medical conditions precluded that.
    You're right about the skills aspect. There are world-class experts on just about any scientific subject right here, and they're more than happy to help you learn anything that you want to know about. I am not one of them, but I seem to have a peculiar talent for thinking so far out of the box that it's not even in the same warehouse. Upon rare occassions, that has proven useful, so I might possibly be of service to you in the future.

5. Nov 24, 2006 #4
    "Scientific skills"? I am crushed, I tell you, just absolutely crushed. I had assumed he was referring to my penchant for sarcasm. It is not a skill that has come to me without great effort.

I suppose, though, this is supposed to be science forum, after all.

6. Nov 24, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Well, that's so obvious that I didn't see any reason to bother mentioning it. If Elton John was on here, I wouldn't say 'Oh, we have a singer too'.

7. Nov 24, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps it is your scientific approach to sarcasm - the precision of content and execution. :biggrin:

8. Nov 24, 2006 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I prefer a sarcastic approach to science. :biggrin:

9. Nov 24, 2006 #8
    Welcome aboard !
    I'm glad to hear that craftmanship :smile: :biggrin: is highly respected (and yes,yes,yes ::approve: many are skilful sailors here )

Don't you dare...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  10. Nov 24, 2006 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's amazing is how warm a welcome this spambot is getting. I saw it post the same message on a different forum I browse.

11. Nov 24, 2006 #10
    Names plz.

12. Nov 24, 2006 #11
    Doesn't UCLA have a very reputable Sarcastic Sciences department?

13. Nov 24, 2006 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Absolutely. It's my minor. :cool:
    The courses are challenging because you never quite know when the professors are being serious - as they are experts in sarcasm, you know.

14. Nov 24, 2006 #13
    Must create alot of tension when grades are passed out. "You seriously thought I gave you AN A???!!! I was being SARCASTIC!!!!!"

15. Nov 24, 2006 #14

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yeah, I'm grading this one on a curve. *nod*

16. Nov 26, 2006 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll never forget my Sarcastic Methods and Design midterm. The time allotted for the test was up and the student next to me asked the teacher if she could just finish her last answer. He said, "Sure, take all the time you want. We've all got nothing better to do than wait for you." Completely missing his sarcasm, she continued writing. He snatched her paper and gave her an A on the spot, and then cruelly scratched it out with a "oh, whoops!" and gave her an F. It was truly heartbreaking. Such a brutal, brutal class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?