Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am an offshore oil worker

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    Hey All,

I am an offshore oil worker and have a lot of time to devote to my studies of Physics.

I am interested in the pursuit of a general understanding of Relativity, Quantum, and Thoeretical Physics. Although I have a basic understanding of the concepts, I would like to ask the populus here what is the best avenue of approach in conquering this? I am looking for literature that will help aid me in this, but not the type of resources extending beyond my capablities.

Any suggestions?

thx,
    Nathan

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Where are you starting from? How much math do you know (trigonometry, calculus, differential equations,...)? Have you studied classical physics (mechanics, E&M) at the level of a calculus-based introductory college/university course?

4. Jan 20, 2008 #3

This doesn't answer your question, but I like this song and you might too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Jan 21, 2008 #4
    I am good on the clasical side, and I have Geo, Trig, and Algebra...............as math history. I am an Instrumentation and Control Tech, so I use a lot of math on the calculations for different circuit types. I have no college level calc or physics though...............The calculus is the kicker I am sure, but I have some resources and and understanding of the basic principles, but will require further study to keep up.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook