1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am an offshore oil worker

1. Jan 20, 2008 #1
    Hey All,

I am an offshore oil worker and have a lot of time to devote to my studies of Physics.

I am interested in the pursuit of a general understanding of Relativity, Quantum, and Thoeretical Physics. Although I have a basic understanding of the concepts, I would like to ask the populus here what is the best avenue of approach in conquering this? I am looking for literature that will help aid me in this, but not the type of resources extending beyond my capablities.

Any suggestions?

thx,
    Nathan

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2008 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Where are you starting from? How much math do you know (trigonometry, calculus, differential equations,...)? Have you studied classical physics (mechanics, E&M) at the level of a calculus-based introductory college/university course?

4. Jan 20, 2008 #3

This doesn't answer your question, but I like this song and you might too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Jan 21, 2008 #4
    I am good on the clasical side, and I have Geo, Trig, and Algebra...............as math history. I am an Instrumentation and Control Tech, so I use a lot of math on the calculations for different circuit types. I have no college level calc or physics though...............The calculus is the kicker I am sure, but I have some resources and and understanding of the basic principles, but will require further study to keep up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?