1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am being discouraged

1. Sep 19, 2014 #1
    This probably sounds a bit silly for some people, but the truth is that it is affecting me. The situation is this:
    I am in what it the equivalent to a major physics degree program in my country ( I am also majoring in computational sciences). Lately, mostly because I found profoundly interesting what I am studying, have encourage my self to participate more in class, which has been difficult, because of being very, very shy.
    Anyway, besides of being an excellent student (and by excellent I mean, excellent), some classmates of mine constantly laugh at my questions, or answer them their self (talking over the professor) in a condescending tone (wrongly, of course), like if they pity me for being so stupid. I know that my questions are not silly at all, but I do not have a strong personality to defend my point. Then, in order to show that I am not stupid, every time the professor asks something during his lecture, I answer rapidly and make silly mistakes, sinking even deeper.
    I know that I am not stupid, and I show results (perfect average, 5 or 6 kind of good research projects going on) and also I am practically in love with physic. But this thing has been going on for a while and is now impacting me and my academic results in a bad way.
    Do you have any suggestion of what I can do? Or a way to convince my self to ignore this?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2014 #2
    If you know you're smart, that's all that matters. The loudmouths will soon be forgotten. Just hang in there.

4. Sep 19, 2014 #3

adjacent

Gold Member

I think you should stop answering questions the professor ask. As you said, that is not giving you any benefit. Instead, focus on doing best on exams\tests and show them you are smart.

5. Sep 19, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If other students are answering your questions wrongly, then you need to talk to the teacher about that. He/she should be running the class better than that- at the very least pointing out that the students answer are wrong.

6. Sep 19, 2014 #5
    ... Hallsoflvy, I won't talk to the peofesor, I don't want to create a bigger problem.. That is why I was asking for a personal advice to change my reaction to this issue.

7. Sep 19, 2014 #6

Rocket50

Gold Member

Ignore them, stop asking questions in the class etc. Ask after class, maybe during office hours.

8. Dec 10, 2014 #7
    My academic year is over, and I got the best results of my class, my classmates where all surprised, I suppose that those loudmouths are feeling pretty stupid for their behaviour towards me during this year. After all, I can say that I really enjoy this semester after all, thank you very much for your advices guys :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  9. Dec 10, 2014 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean by 'bigger problem', unless you mean trouble for/from the other students. If a student is struggling in class, they should be able to approach the prof about it.

If you were to approach the prof, I suggest leaving all your troubles about other students out of it. Simply ask him/her how he thinks you are doing, and if your questions and answers are insightful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook