Should I Include Microsoft Word in My Resume Skills?

In summary: Summarize the content of the conversation above?In summary, the conversation is about a first time builder aiming for a lab monitor position and including skills in Mathematica, Maple, TeX, and Microsoft Word. Any advice is provided, including whether it is stupid to include Microsoft Word on one's resume. High school students should have resumes, and one should continually update and modify it according to academic achievement and experience. When leaving university, one doesn't include experience before university.
flyingpig
It's my first time building one.

I am aiming at a lab monitor position. I've included my skills in Mathematica, Maple, TeX (I am going to really TeX this one up to look cool) and some other trivial stuff like Microsoft Word.

Any advice? Is it stupid to add microsoft word as part of my skills?

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
It's my first time building one.

I am aiming at a lab monitor position. I've included my skills in Mathematica, Maple, TeX (I am going to really TeX this one up to look cool) and some other trivial stuff like Microsoft Word.

If one is coming out of school, then one simply indicates experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)

Companies do look for skills in computational software, e.g., MathCad, Mathematica, MatLab, ANSYS, ABAQUS, STAR-CD/CCM+, or whatever. Companies also consider courses/electives in addition to the major and core coursework.

No I am just working for my college. Probably minimum wage and hours

Same goes. High school students should have a resume. One continually updates it, and modifies it according to academic achievement and experience. When leaving university, one doesn't include experience before university.

Astronuc said:
Same goes. High school students should have a resume. One continually updates it, and modifies it according to academic achievement and experience. When leaving university, one doesn't include experience before university.

Wouldn't that resume be empty...?

flyingpig said:

Hopefully if you attended university, you have something to fill your resume with FROM that university.

I should mention my competitions are pretty much going to be all computer science majors... horaay...

flyingpig said:
I should mention my competitions are pretty much going to be all computer science majors... horaay...

Each will have also have a relatively empty resume, albeit wonderfully formatted.

Astronuc said:
FlexGunship said:
Hopefully if you attended university, you have something to fill your resume with FROM that university.

I was always taught the opposite. A CV should list your qualifications in descending order of importance but all should be there. Reason being if you are applying for a job and the other candidate is equal in recent qualifications it might swing it for you that you got straight As at school or that you did a mountain climbing course a few years ago.

Bottom line is it's impossible to know what the person reading your resume is looking for beyond the necessary qualifications. I had an interview years ago that I spent three quarters of discussing the philosophy that I'd learned at school (totally unrelated to what I was applying for but the interviewer loved philosophy when he was at school and enjoyed the conversation).

ryan_m_b said:
I was always taught the opposite. A CV should list your qualifications in descending order of importance but all should be there. Reason being if you are applying for a job and the other candidate is equal in recent qualifications it might swing it for you that you got straight As at school or that you did a mountain climbing course a few years ago.

On that note, my resume has always been formatted to fit on one page with the maximum amount information available without being crowded. The informational content has always been tailored to each job providing the highest emphasis on the most relevant achievements.

FlexGunship said:
On that note, my resume has always been formatted to fit on one page with the maximum amount information available without being crowded. The informational content has always been tailored to each job providing the highest emphasis on the most relevant achievements.

Mine too though I always make mine two pages precisely.

ryan_m_b said:
Mine too though I always make mine two pages precisely.

I provide an addendum on a second page of completed work, projects, and personal achievements. I knew a guy who discarded everything but the first page of a resume; so I always put work experience and skills on my "resume and the rest on the "addendum." That way I can control what gets discarded (if it ever does).

I've done a few interviews at my current job and I have no problem with multiple pages of a resume. Although I HATE hunting for a piece of information if its not properly organized.

Okay guys, be honest, how bad is this...? How could I improve?

Attachments

• copy of 1.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
flyingpig said:

It's very sparse.

I've just quickly gone through and edited my CV into a template. It looks a lot fuller and better formatted than this but I hope this gives you a general idea.

Attachments

• CV template 1.pdf
    187 KB · Views: 384
Hi flyingpig,

A general suggestion -- It's usually better to put examples of things you've done that demonstrate the skills you have.

For example, can you give a specific achievement regarding Mathematica 8? Try and list some of your accomplishments and link them to the specific skills you've mentioned in your resume.

As for its appearance, you can try downloading a resume template from the internet and go from there. Change some fonts, formatting and the layout, but don't get too crazy; it needs to be organized and readable.

ryan_m_b said:

Bottom line is it's impossible to know what the person reading your resume is looking for beyond the necessary qualifications. I had an interview years ago that I spent three quarters of discussing the philosophy that I'd learned at school (totally unrelated to what I was applying for but the interviewer loved philosophy when he was at school and enjoyed the conversation).
Ordinarily one would not put in one's high school GPA when applying for a job after university. Having gone through a 4 year (BA/BS) program, it is expected that one qualified for that program, and the focus would be on one's academic qualifications in university (including GPA). However, one could include extra curricular activities and any projects, community activities, or leadership roles, and scholarships/awards.

flyingpig said:
For most, perhaps yes, but I hired a high school student who was valedictorian. His resume, even in 12th grade, was impressive. He'd won various awards in math competitions. He went on to Harvard where he was a straight-A student. He was also an excellent programmer, hard-working/diligent, and self-directed.

ryan_m_b said:
It's very sparse.

I've just quickly gone through and edited my CV into a template. It looks a lot fuller and better formatted than this but I hope this gives you a general idea.

Lol can you post the TeX? Wouldn't adding PFer just make me look like a person who spends too much time on the net?

flyingpig said:
Lol can you post the TeX? Wouldn't adding PFer just make me look like a person who spends too much time on the net?

TeX? I put the PFer as a joke :tongue:

Oh MS word? Mine expired so I resorted to TeX...

flyingpig said:
Oh MS word? Mine expired so I resorted to TeX...
Also, be aware a lot of employers now want you to upload your resume and they strip all of your formatting, every resume looks the same, unless you've used some extra fancy formatting, in which case your uploaded resume will look like a mess and probably won't get read.

You must have a cover letter. It should be specific to the job you wish to interview for, you should explain why your skills are what ABC company are looking for and why you would benefit them.

I'll try to find some examples.

mistakes to avoid http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/what-not-to-do-7-ways-to-ruin-your-resume-2009803/

samples of cover letters http://www.google.com/search?source...lz=1T4GGLL_enUS339US339&q=resume+cover+letter

Resume writing tips http://resume.monster.com/

Last edited:
flyingpig said:

Hey flyingpig,

Did the job posting explicitly state your skill level in each skill? If it didn't I would stay away from putting your "level" of those skills on the resume. If it's a concern, it will get brought up in the interview.

Here's something I do to check how certain things are written on resumes, or like resumes..
Search a site like LinkedIn from Google and type in keywords that are on your resume.

Ex. site: Linkedin.com MatLab

Then I find people's profiles and see how they write their experiences with MatLab and so on. Reading a bunch of these usually conjurers up some more creativity in my resume writing. There's a couple of other sites that I do this for but I can't think off them right now.

Good luck.

flyingpig said:

I'd avoid it. In this day and age and in your generation, saying that you can use Microsoft Word is like saying that you can add two numbers and read a book. People are going to wonder why you even mention it.

twofish-quant said:
I'd avoid it. In this day and age and in your generation, saying that you can use Microsoft Word is like saying that you can add two numbers and read a book. People are going to wonder why you even mention it.

:rofl:

DrummingAtom said:
Hey flyingpig,

Did the job posting explicitly state your skill level in each skill? If it didn't I would stay away from putting your "level" of those skills on the resume. If it's a concern, it will get brought up in the interview.

There is no interview, either they will send you a "you are hired" message or you will never be contacted.

As was already mentioned, your resume is pretty sparse. To flesh it out some, maybe a brief description (more than one word, as you have) of your technical abilities in Mathematica, MatLab, etc. would be helpful.

They are probably looking for someone with skills other than technical skills, such as personality traits that they're looking for. It would be beneficial for a lab monitor to be able to listen and understand the problem that someone is having with some computer software. The job will almost certainly require a certain amount of patience with students who are not used to being able to accurately describe the problems they're having, so if you can address that, it might help your cause.

Being able to explain something in more than one way would also be a desirable quality. Sometimes students just aren't able to follow an explanation. Being able to explain something in a different way might be enough to get the idea across to them, while merely repeating the same explanation again probably won't help.

How was the job described? Are they looking for specific skills, experience, and personality attributes? If the job description describes the ideal candidate for the position, make sure you write your resume so that you address as many of these as possible.

Mark44 said:
As was already mentioned, your resume is pretty sparse. To flesh it out some, maybe a brief description (more than one word, as you have) of your technical abilities in Mathematica, MatLab, etc. would be helpful.

They are probably looking for someone with skills other than technical skills, such as personality traits that they're looking for. It would be beneficial for a lab monitor to be able to listen and understand the problem that someone is having with some computer software. The job will almost certainly require a certain amount of patience with students who are not used to being able to accurately describe the problems they're having, so if you can address that, it might help your cause.

Being able to explain something in more than one way would also be a desirable quality. Sometimes students just aren't able to follow an explanation. Being able to explain something in a different way might be enough to get the idea across to them, while merely repeating the same explanation again probably won't help.

How was the job described? Are they looking for specific skills, experience, and personality attributes? If the job description describes the ideal candidate for the position, make sure you write your resume so that you address as many of these as possible.

You are a mentor now!

It was described as

We're always looking for responsible, conscientious individuals to monitor our computer labs. Technical ability is an asset but not a requirement.

Duties include opening and closing the labs, reporting problems with the equipment, tidying up, cleaning mice/keyboards/monitors, replacing printer paper/toner, and other related duties as required. You're also encouraged to help out your fellow students to the best of your ability.

In order to be eligible for employment as a computer lab monitor you must be enrolled in at least three courses for the session in which you wish to work. (Except during the Summer session, in which case you need only be enrolled in one class).

Computer lab monitors may work up to a maximum of 12 hours per week. Perks include additional storage space on your personal network drive (F:) when requested, permission to use certain computer labs outside of class and open lab times, ability to work on class work during your shift (provided all other duties are attended to) and virtually limitless riches (...okay, not exactly limitless, but fair pay is provided).

If you're interested in becoming a computer lab monitor, please bring a current resume the campus and fill out an employment application.

Please note that we do receive a lot of applications for the positions but only contact (via email) those candidates who are successful.

Also this is probably a bad idea, but would it be look down upon if you add

"will work for additional hours for free..."

We're always looking for responsible, conscientious individuals to monitor our computer labs. Technical ability is an asset but not a requirement.
Anything you can add to your resume that shows how responsible and conscientious you are would be helpful. Your resume focussed on your technical abilities, but that's not all they're looking for (and it's not a requirement for the position).
Duties include opening and closing the labs, reporting problems with the equipment, tidying up, cleaning mice/keyboards/monitors, replacing printer paper/toner, and other related duties as required. You're also encouraged to help out your fellow students to the best of your ability.
Do you have any experience maintaining your own computer that you can add? Or any experience that highlights skills you have at maintaining computer or other equipment?

The part about "help out your fellow students" was what I was talking about in my previous post. Anything you can add that addresses this point would be very helpful if I were the one making hiring decisions, so you really want to hit that one hard.

I would NOT add "will work additional hours for free..." But you obviously spend a fair amount of time with computers (I've seen a lot of your posts here), so I gather that you enjoy working with computers. That would be useful, IMO.

Keep in mind that I'm trying to help you flesh out your resume, but don't go overboard and make it too long. Resumes are usually one page, and less commonly (in my experience) two pages. The resume should be well organized, with no typos. Have someone take a look at your final version before you submit it - you can post it here (with personal info omitted) and we can critique it.

PS - yeah, they made me a mentor. Who'd a thunk it?

Well I go to the labs daily and there are rarely (if at all) anyone that seeks help from the monitors. So that's probably why they say technical skills aren' 100% needed.

Seriously though, most of the time they just sit there doing their own stuff. That's why I am hunting this job.

So yeah I will get rid of the free part, sounds risky.

Do you guys suggest a section "experience" and write down how I will help students?

I don't know if a template is something you're looking for, but I took this guy's template: http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/linux/latexres . You can view a PDF output of the template on the site. It looks simple and clean, which of course leaves lots of room for playing around.

Sorry I don't have any other tips, though.

flyingpig said:
Well I go to the labs daily and there are rarely (if at all) anyone that seeks help from the monitors. So that's probably why they say technical skills aren' 100% needed.

Seriously though, most of the time they just sit there doing their own stuff. That's why I am hunting this job.

So yeah I will get rid of the free part, sounds risky.

Do you guys suggest a section "experience" and write down how I will help students?
I think an experience section would help. It should focus on what you already have done, rather than what you will do in the future.

Mark44 said:
I think an experience section would help. It should focus on what you already have done, rather than what you will do in the future.

But comments here said I shouldn't really include things done in high school and I am a rising sophomore

Astronuc said:
When leaving university, one doesn't include experience before university.
I think this is one of the comments you're referring to. You aren't leaving the university, so the above isn't applicable. In your case, since you have only one year of college under your belt, I would think that high school experience would be pertinent to the position you're applying for.

flyingpig said:
Also this is probably a bad idea, but would it be look down upon if you add

"will work for additional hours for free..."

It's a very bad idea, because you really shouldn't be willing to work additional hours for free for a job. A job is a job. You get paid for a job. If you want to do charity work, that's fine, but that's charity work.

In most situations, it also happens to be down right illegal.

Alright, one thing that is bothering me is that if I write "too much" or "show off" too much they might think I am desperate and my resume might stand out too much.

Here is what I have written and this will be part of my resume

Relevant Experience

I was a school librarian for two years in high school and my previous job includes cleaning up computers and shutting them down, etc. Additionally, I have helped (and still helping) students with Mathematics on forums. I am fairly competent with Maple, Mathematica, and TeX

Is this too short?

<h2>1. Should I include Microsoft Word in my resume skills?</h2><p>Yes, it is important to include Microsoft Word in your resume skills as it is one of the most widely used software programs in the professional world. Many employers expect job candidates to have a basic understanding of Microsoft Word and its features.</p><h2>2. Is Microsoft Word considered a valuable skill in the job market?</h2><p>Yes, Microsoft Word is considered a valuable skill in the job market as it is used in various industries and job roles. It is an essential tool for creating and editing documents, making it a valuable skill for any job candidate.</p><h2>3. Can I assume that employers will know I have Microsoft Word skills without explicitly stating it on my resume?</h2><p>No, it is always best to explicitly state your Microsoft Word skills on your resume. This shows employers that you have the necessary skills and knowledge to use this software effectively in the workplace.</p><h2>4. How should I list Microsoft Word on my resume?</h2><p>You can list Microsoft Word as a skill under a "Technical Skills" or "Computer Skills" section on your resume. You can also mention it in your work experience section if you have used it extensively in previous job roles.</p><h2>5. Are there any specific Microsoft Word skills that employers look for?</h2><p>Yes, employers may look for specific Microsoft Word skills such as formatting, creating tables and charts, using templates, and collaborating with others on documents. It is important to highlight any relevant skills that you have in these areas on your resume.</p>

1. Should I include Microsoft Word in my resume skills?

Yes, it is important to include Microsoft Word in your resume skills as it is one of the most widely used software programs in the professional world. Many employers expect job candidates to have a basic understanding of Microsoft Word and its features.

2. Is Microsoft Word considered a valuable skill in the job market?

Yes, Microsoft Word is considered a valuable skill in the job market as it is used in various industries and job roles. It is an essential tool for creating and editing documents, making it a valuable skill for any job candidate.

3. Can I assume that employers will know I have Microsoft Word skills without explicitly stating it on my resume?

No, it is always best to explicitly state your Microsoft Word skills on your resume. This shows employers that you have the necessary skills and knowledge to use this software effectively in the workplace.

4. How should I list Microsoft Word on my resume?

You can list Microsoft Word as a skill under a "Technical Skills" or "Computer Skills" section on your resume. You can also mention it in your work experience section if you have used it extensively in previous job roles.

5. Are there any specific Microsoft Word skills that employers look for?

Yes, employers may look for specific Microsoft Word skills such as formatting, creating tables and charts, using templates, and collaborating with others on documents. It is important to highlight any relevant skills that you have in these areas on your resume.