1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am completely drawing a blank! Exam tomorrow, help?

1. Jan 19, 2005 #1
    Hey, in the process of searching for an explanation for this problem tonight, I stumbled across this forum. I usually do well in physics, but our semester exam is tomorrow and, as I'm reviewing, I am drawing a complete blank on everything! I'll just give one problem, to see if someone could get me on the right track again.

Thanks a lot -- I am sure this is ridiculously easy, I just can't seem to pull it out of my brain.

A firework explodes in the sky releasing 20 W of sound energy in a time of .05 s. John is standing 80 m away at the time when he hears the bang. The intensity of sound at John's ear will be about:

a) 1.5 x 10^-3 Wm^-2
    b) 2.5 x 10^-3 Wm^-2
    c) % x 10^-3 Wm^-2
    d) 2.0 x 10^-2 Wm^-2

Thanks a bunch, again.
    ~ Apodidomai

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2
    The sound source can be assumed to be spherically isotropic and to send out a "spherical" wave. The amplitude of such a wave falls of as (1/r) (r = radial distance from source). Additonally, the intensity of the wave at a certain r is defined as the ratio of the power of the source to the area of an imaginary spherical surface centered at the source with a radius r. Does that help? (Refer to Physics, by Resnick and Halliday; chapter on waves => spherical waves).

4. Jan 20, 2005 #3
    lol. i totally know how that feels.... my semester exam was today and last night, i just coudnt answer any of the physics questions even though they were really easy and i would have been able to answer them on a good day :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook