1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am doing a physics experiment to do with the effects of friction on a flat surface.

1. Mar 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    by rolling 5 different balls down a ramp from 5 different heights onto 5 different surfaces i recorded the time taken from when the ball leaves the ramp until it stops, also recording the displacement of the ball from the the bottom of the ramp. with these results i need to 'investigate motion and related energy transformations experimentally, and use the newtonian model in one and two dimensions to analyse motion in the contexts of transport and related aspects of safety, and motion in space.'

2. Relevant equations
    0.5mv^2 mgh fnet=ma constant acceleration formulas fnet=μN

3. The attempt at a solution
    using the above formulas i can:
    - calculate the initial velocity in two different ways and compare these
    - find the co-efficient of friction
    - calculate the frictional force

what else can i calculate?

i am stuck on what i am trying to prove/disprove (the aim), i.e. what am i going to do with these calculations

also, what graphs would be good to use to show my understanding?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted