Grad School Abroad: US, Canada, or Europe?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the best option for someone from Asia to attend graduate school. The speaker suggests that the USA may be the best choice, based on their research of top schools receiving many international applications. However, they also mention the possibility of attending Cambridge in the UK. They note that the USA has a large number of universities to choose from and advise considering academic qualifications when making a decision.
lou6
I am from Asia, and if I was given the chance to go to grad school, should it be the US, Canada, or Europe?

Physics news on Phys.org
lou6 said:
I am from Asia, and if I was given the chance to go to grad school, should it be the US, Canada, or Europe?

I think your best shot is probably going to the USA to study, but I don't know how much better of an option it is. I have been snooping around 15-20 grad schools math department, getting as much info as I can and it seems a lot of the top schools get half their applications from overseas.

If you have chance, go to Cambridge.

The UK.

in USA there are a lot number of universities... depending on your academic qualification you can choose a number of universities in USA ... always remember USA is vast ...

1. What are the benefits of attending grad school abroad?

Attending grad school abroad can provide a unique and diverse learning experience. It allows you to immerse yourself in a new culture and broaden your perspective. Additionally, studying abroad can also enhance your resume and make you more marketable to employers.

2. How do I choose between grad schools in the US, Canada, or Europe?

The decision should ultimately depend on your personal goals and preferences. Consider factors such as the program's reputation, cost of living, language barriers, and job opportunities in the country. It may also be helpful to speak with alumni or current students to gain insight into their experiences.

3. What are the differences in the application process for grad school abroad?

The application process can vary depending on the country and university. In general, you will need to submit transcripts, test scores (such as the GRE), letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some countries may also require a visa or language proficiency exam.

4. Will attending grad school abroad affect my ability to find employment?

Studying abroad can actually make you more attractive to employers. It shows that you are adaptable, independent, and have a global perspective. Additionally, attending grad school in a different country may also provide opportunities for internships and networking.

5. How do I finance my graduate education abroad?

Financing your graduate education abroad can be challenging, but there are options available. Many universities offer scholarships and financial aid to international students. You can also look into external scholarships or consider working part-time while studying. It is important to research the cost of living and potential funding options before making a decision.