Life After College: Non-Teaching Career Options

In summary: Set up a business. I have a Masters and I was a teacher now I run my own bike shop. I spend my days fixing bikes and I like it.
kikko
I am getting my BS soon, I'm okay with going on to get my Masters if I want to do Medical Physics, but I'm not too keen on getting a PhD. I do not want a teaching job. Can anyone explain life after college to me if you want a job not in teaching or grad school? I'm pretty clueless.

Physics news on Phys.org

Go into industry :).

what jobs can I get without grad school besides teaching?
Whatever jobs you apply for. You may be more or less qualified for certain positions.

I wouldn't assume a physics B.S. can easily find a teaching job (even if it's because it's what you don't want to do). Most high schools want an education degree and a teaching certification (even most private schools). Community colleges mostly require a Masters in physics.

lepton33 said:
I wouldn't assume a physics B.S. can easily find a teaching job. Most high schools want an education degree and a teaching certification (even most private schools). Community colleges mostly require a Masters in physics.

I don't know where you are located, but that's not true where I live. High schools here prefer Physics BS (however, at the K-8 level, I suspect what you say is true). The teaching certificate is also required, unfortunately, which is 2 years of wasting your time in California. Private schools don't require a teaching credential here typically, or at least that's my understanding.

Pengwuino said:
The teaching certificate is also required, unfortunately, which is 2 years of wasting your time in California.

I agree, most high schools seem to require that now and it amounts to getting a minor in education. What a big waste of time, after looking at the curriculum for such an accolade at my university I almost refuse to do it because I see it as a waste of time.

Feynman didn't need such frivolities <.<

dydxforsn said:
Feynman didn't need such frivolities <.<

Feynman also a) did not teach at the high school level and b) requirements for teaching high school were much different 50+ years ago.

What about setting up a business. I have a Masters and I was a teacher now I run my own bike shop. I spend my days fixing bikes and I like it.

What are some common non-teaching career options for individuals with a college degree?

Some common non-teaching career options for individuals with a college degree include working in the fields of business, healthcare, technology, marketing, and finance. Other options may include pursuing a career in government, non-profit organizations, or the arts.

What skills and qualities are important for success in a non-teaching career?

Some important skills and qualities for success in a non-teaching career include strong communication and interpersonal skills, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, adaptability, and a willingness to learn and grow. Employers also value individuals who are organized, self-motivated, and able to work well in a team.

Are there any specific steps individuals can take to prepare for a non-teaching career after college?

Yes, there are several steps individuals can take to prepare for a non-teaching career after college. Some suggestions include gaining relevant work experience through internships or part-time jobs, networking with professionals in your desired field, and developing a strong resume and cover letter. It can also be beneficial to continue learning and acquiring new skills through online courses or certifications.

What are some potential benefits of pursuing a non-teaching career after college?

There are many potential benefits to pursuing a non-teaching career after college. Some of these include the opportunity for higher salaries and career advancement, a wider range of job options and industries to choose from, and the chance to explore and develop new skills. Additionally, individuals may find more work-life balance and a better fit for their personal interests and strengths in a non-teaching career.

What resources are available for individuals interested in exploring non-teaching career options?

There are several resources available for individuals interested in exploring non-teaching career options, including career counseling services at your college or university, online job search engines and career websites, professional networking events, and informational interviews with professionals in your desired field. It can also be helpful to connect with alumni from your college who are working in non-teaching careers and ask for their advice and insights.