I am having some trouble with conservation of energy

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the kinetic energy in a scenario involving an object hitting a spring with kinetic energy and kinetic friction work on the left side, and maximum potential energy on the right side. The correct answer does not depend on the variable x, and the given condition that the object has no speed when the spring returns to its uncompressed length helps eliminate the 'x' term. It is also noted that the work done by friction is negative.
kyin01

Homework Statement

2-5.png

Homework Equations

[tex]K_{1}[/tex]+[tex]U_{1}[/tex]+[tex]W_{nc}[/tex]=[tex]K_{2}[/tex]+[tex]U_{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation

1/2m[tex]v^{2}[/tex] + 0 + xmg[tex]\mu[/tex] = 0 + 1/2k[tex]x^{2}[/tex]

On the left side
When it hits the spring there is 0 potential because it has not yet compress the spring and it still remains on a horizontal surface. It has a kinetic energy and kinetic friction work
On the right side
I have 0 kinetic because it just finished compressing the spring and about to decompress so instead I get maximum potential energy.

So solving for K i get

[tex]\frac{mv^{2}+xmg\mu}{x^{2}}[/tex]

But according to the answer it does not depend on the variable X (distance compressed by spring)
So I'm not entirely sure I know where I made my mistake

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Aside from your algebra error and your incorrect assumption that the work done by friction is positive, you have neglected to incorporate the given condition that the object has no speed when the spring returns to its uncompressed length (that is, its speed is zero both when the spring is fully compressed, and when it returns to its uncompressed state). That will give you the info you need to eliminate the 'x' term. Remember that the work done by friction is negative.

, but I will try to provide some guidance on the concept of conservation of energy.

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In other words, the total energy of a closed system remains constant over time.

In the context of your problem, we can think of the system as the object being dropped onto the spring. Initially, the object has potential energy due to its position above the ground, and no kinetic energy. As it falls, it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy. When it hits the spring, some of this kinetic energy is converted into potential energy stored in the spring as it compresses. However, there is also work being done by non-conservative forces, such as friction, which will decrease the amount of energy transferred to the spring.

After the object reaches its maximum compression and begins to decompress, the potential energy stored in the spring is converted back into kinetic energy. However, this time there is no work being done by non-conservative forces, so the amount of kinetic energy gained by the object is equal to the potential energy stored in the spring. This results in the total energy of the system remaining constant.

In your attempt at a solution, it seems like you may have mixed up some of the terms for potential and kinetic energy. Remember, potential energy is dependent on the position of an object in a force field, while kinetic energy is dependent on the object's motion. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram and carefully consider the forces acting on the object at different points in its motion.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the different forms of energy in a system and how they are being transferred or converted in order to properly apply the principle of conservation of energy. I hope this helps guide you in the right direction in solving your problem.

What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

Why is conservation of energy important?

Conservation of energy allows us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems, and it is essential for the understanding of many natural phenomena and the development of technology.

What are some examples of conservation of energy in everyday life?

Some examples of conservation of energy in everyday life include turning on a light bulb (electrical energy to light and heat energy), swinging a pendulum (potential energy to kinetic energy), and using a battery-powered device (chemical energy to electrical energy).

What happens if conservation of energy is violated?

If conservation of energy is violated, it would mean that energy is being created or destroyed, which would contradict the fundamental laws of physics. This violation has not been observed in any natural or man-made systems.

How is conservation of energy used in scientific research?

Conservation of energy is a crucial principle in scientific research, and it is used to study the behavior of various systems, such as the conservation of energy in chemical reactions, the conservation of energy in nuclear reactions, and the conservation of energy in the universe as a whole.