I am in need of a formula. (visible wavelength, thin film)

In summary, visible wavelength is a type of electromagnetic radiation that falls within the range of 400-700 nanometers and is visible to the human eye. A thin film is a layer of material with a thickness of less than one micrometer. To calculate the visible wavelength of a thin film, the formula λ = 2nt is used, where λ is the visible wavelength, n is the refractive index, and t is the thickness of the film. This formula is necessary to determine the optical properties of the film, which is important for various applications. However, the formula may vary for different materials due to their unique refractive index and thickness.
bobbo7410
---------

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

2nt = (m[+.5])[tex]\lambda[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the problem? You seem to have the right equation on hand.

o yea sorry, the further question was;

what would I use for m to achieve the minimum index? 1?

As well, would I use the [+.5] or not, meaning destructive vs constructive.

Those 2 were my detailed questions.

anyone?

M would have to be the smallest possible integer without the right-hand-side being less than or equal to 0.

1. What is a visible wavelength?

A visible wavelength is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It falls within the range of 400-700 nanometers on the electromagnetic spectrum.

2. What is a thin film?

A thin film is a layer of material that has a thickness of less than one micrometer. It can be made from a variety of substances, including metals, polymers, and ceramics.

3. How do I calculate the visible wavelength of a thin film?

The visible wavelength of a thin film can be calculated using the formula λ = 2nt, where λ is the visible wavelength, n is the refractive index of the material, and t is the thickness of the film.

4. Why is a formula needed for visible wavelength and thin film?

A formula is needed to calculate the visible wavelength of a thin film in order to determine the optical properties of the film. This is important for applications such as coatings, optical filters, and anti-reflective coatings.

5. Can the formula for visible wavelength and thin film be applied to all materials?

No, the formula for visible wavelength and thin film may vary depending on the material being used. Each material has its own unique refractive index and thickness, which will affect the calculation of the visible wavelength.