Distance & Bearing Calculations for Towns A, B, C & D | Easy Guide"

• Thread starter lionely
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the distance and bearing of a town D from town A, given the distances between A, B, and C. Through discussion and suggestions, it was determined that D lies 10km from both B and C, making it midway between the two towns. The conversation also touched on the use of diagrams and trigonometry to solve the problem, as well as the importance of confidence and learning from mistakes.
lionely
1. Three towns A,B and C lie on a straight road running east from A. B is 6km from A and C is 22km from A. Another town D lies to the North of this road and it lies 10km from both B and C. Calculate the distance of D from A and the bearing of D from A.
3.Well, I am terrible at drawing the diagrams here is my attempt.
I'm not sure where to put D, please be patient with me.

Attachments

• 2yv5mjc.png
    2yv5mjc.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about the diagram. It's pretty clear from the description. But the distance between B and C is 16km, right? It's just a trig problem isn't it? Draw some triangles.

The thing is, I'm not sure where to put D, for some reason I have a lot of problems doing bearings, it's weird I could do vectors and matrices without much problem...

lionely said:
The thing is, I'm not sure where to put D, for some reason I have a lot of problems doing bearings, it's weird I could do vectors and matrices without much problem...

D must be midway between B and C, but some distance above on your diagram (North), yes? I'm not sure what your problem is.

The problem is I'm an idiot haha, I'll try it again and get back to you.

. -------------------------------------------------- D
------------------------------------- 10km--------l-----10km
l
A------------6km---------------B--------------16km---------------C

draw lines from B to D and from C to D and then a line from D to the line from B to C
now you have two right triangles, complete the square, or law of sines.
the 10km value is the hypotenuese.

Last edited:
Mr.Dick, I thank you for your time and help, I solved the question and I will continue to practice this and master bearings!

Don't call yourself a idiot just becuase you are stuck. You go to school to learn right? You can't know everything up front!

Don't call yourself an idiot, or you'll truly become one;) You need to have confidence in yourself that you can become good and overcome all obstacles.

Humans are prone to make errors and everyone definitely did one.

xD Okay I won't call myself an idiot anymore. and Thanks to everyone who helped me.

1. What should I do if I feel like I am an idiot and need help?

If you feel like you are an idiot and need help, the first step is to take a deep breath and remind yourself that everyone makes mistakes and it's okay to ask for help. Next, identify what exactly you need help with and reach out to someone who can assist you, whether it's a friend, family member, teacher, or professional. Remember, seeking help is a sign of strength, not weakness.

2. How can I improve my situation if I am struggling and feel like an idiot?

If you are struggling and feel like an idiot, the best way to improve your situation is to seek help and support from others. This can include talking to a trusted friend or family member, seeking guidance from a mentor or counselor, or finding resources online or in your community. Additionally, try to identify the root cause of your struggles and work on addressing them step by step.

3. Is it normal to feel like I am an idiot sometimes?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel like an idiot at times. We all have moments of self-doubt and insecurity, and it's important to remember that these feelings do not define us. What's important is how we cope with these feelings and seek help when needed.

4. How can I overcome the fear of asking for help because I feel like an idiot?

If you are afraid to ask for help because you feel like an idiot, try to remind yourself that it's okay to not know everything and that asking for help is a sign of strength. You can also try talking to someone you trust about your fears and ask for their support and encouragement. Additionally, practice self-compassion and remind yourself that you are not alone in feeling this way.

5. Are there any strategies or techniques I can use to help me when I feel like an idiot and need help?

Yes, there are many strategies and techniques that can help when you feel like an idiot and need help. Some techniques include mindfulness and deep breathing to help calm your mind, journaling to process your thoughts and feelings, and seeking support from others. It may also be helpful to focus on the present moment and break down your tasks into smaller, manageable steps to avoid feeling overwhelmed.