1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am in need of help ( Idiot here)

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    1. Three towns A,B and C lie on a straight road running east from A. B is 6km from A and C is 22km from A. Another town D lies to the North of this road and it lies 10km from both B and C. Calculate the distance of D from A and the bearing of D from A.

3.Well, I am terrible at drawing the diagrams here is my attempt.

I'm not sure where to put D, please be patient with me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't worry about the diagram. It's pretty clear from the description. But the distance between B and C is 16km, right? It's just a trig problem isn't it? Draw some triangles.

4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    The thing is, I'm not sure where to put D, for some reason I have a lot of problems doing bearings, it's weird I could do vectors and matrices without much problem...

5. Sep 27, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

D must be midway between B and C, but some distance above on your diagram (North), yes? I'm not sure what your problem is.

6. Sep 27, 2011 #5
    The problem is I'm an idiot haha, I'll try it again and get back to you.

7. Sep 27, 2011 #6
    . -------------------------------------------------- D
    ------------------------------------- 10km--------l-----10km
    l
    A------------6km---------------B--------------16km---------------C

draw lines from B to D and from C to D and then a line from D to the line from B to C
    now you have two right triangles, complete the square, or law of sines.
    the 10km value is the hypotenuese.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  8. Sep 27, 2011 #7
    Mr.Dick, I thank you for your time and help, I solved the question and I will continue to practice this and master bearings!

9. Sep 28, 2011 #8
    Don't call yourself a idiot just becuase you are stuck. You go to school to learn right? You can't know everything up front!

10. Oct 1, 2011 #9
    Don't call yourself an idiot, or you'll truly become one;) You need to have confidence in yourself that you can become good and overcome all obstacles.

Humans are prone to make errors and everyone definitely did one.

11. Oct 3, 2011 #10
    xD Okay I won't call myself an idiot anymore. and Thanks to everyone who helped me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook