What happened to my old friend's son?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shock
In summary: That's a beautiful and poetic thought, thank you for sharing.In summary, Borek's close friend, who studied chemistry together 25 years ago, has just learned that their son, 18 years old, died after accident fencing training. The son was a freshman in college. The tragedy has hit Borek very hard, and he is struggling to cope. He has sent emails and cards to his friend, but doesn't feel like calling. His old chemistry teacher from the middle school has met him, and they have reminisced about their times together.
Borek
Mentor
I am in shock :(

Sorry, I have to write about it.

I had a close friend 25 years ago, we studied chemistry together. Somehow we haven't seen each other since then, just now and then exchanged messages/informations through mutual friends. I have just learned that two days ago his 18 yo son died after accident during fencing training :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org

Borek said:

I had a close friend 25 years ago, we studied chemistry together. Somehow we haven't seen each other since then, just now and then exchanged messages/informations through mutual friends. I have just learned that two days ago his 18 yo son died after accident during fencing training :cry:
How sad and tragic. Perhaps hearing from you would be a good thing right now.

Borek said:

That's really tough, Borek. A friend and his wife lost their lovely young daughter a couple of years back. She was a HS sports star, honor student, and planned to go into nursing. They suffered emotional devastation. If you can help your friend - even with a card or a phone call - please do. It often seems that there's nothing any of us can do to respond to such a loss, but your friend will appreciate the contact.

How terrible...so sorry to hear it, Borek. What a horrible tragedy.

Borek said:

My condolensces to your friend. It is certainly devastating to loose one's child. I think he or she would appreciate hearing from you.

How does one ever deal with such a lose? I'm sorry for your friend and you Borek.

Very sad and tragic indeed.

I assume that a sword lost its point guard, or broke?

Ivan Seeking said:
I assume that a sword lost its point guard, or broke?

Yes, it broke. But I know only whatever was in news.

I have sent them emails, but I don't feel like calling.

That is terribly sad.

It is the most unbearable thing. Too many of these things that were not meant to happen, not prepared and could but for a fraction have been different and the moment unremarked have passed close... You cannot say anything to comfort but if you and any others of your old circle can manage to go to the funeral and be glimpsed and/or send flowers and formal message so that this life is seen to be noticed by as many as possible

That is sad for the trainee, is he married yet ? :sad:

Sorry to hear, Borek

Those accidents shouldn't happen, but they do all too often.

I'm sorry for your friend Borek. A truly tragic accident indeed.

I am also sorry for the fencing partner, who will have to go through life with this constant burden. I couldn't bear the thought of killing another person, even by accident.

I am "partially" a nun or want to be one, and I "feel" sorry for Borek's friend much.

turbo-1 said:
I am also sorry for the fencing partner, who will have to go through life with this constant burden.

I thought about it too, he must be in the same age Konrad was, around 18.

sad. how did it happen?

I'm so sorry Borek!

I fence foil 5 days a week but I haven't even come close to killing anyone. They must've really been stabbing each other HARD for something like this to have happened :(

Funeral was yesterday. I have met my chemistry teacher from the middle school, it turns out Konrad was attending the same school I have finished in 1981.

I have finally meet Jarek & Mariola. We really shouldn't meet for THAT type of reasons.

That was surreal and against the nature. Our kids should meet at our funerals, not vice versa.

I was standing in a church and it occurred to me that he died doing what he loved. That's not the worst option, while I am not in a hurry to leave that world I would like to have such chance too.

Last edited:

1. What happened to my old friend's son?

Unfortunately, I cannot give a specific answer as I do not have enough information. It would be best to reach out to your old friend directly and ask for an update on their son's well-being.

2. Is there any scientific explanation for what happened to my old friend's son?

Without knowing the specific details of what happened, it is difficult to provide a scientific explanation. However, in general, there could be various factors such as genetics, environment, and lifestyle that could contribute to a person's well-being.

3. Could my old friend's son's condition have been prevented?

Again, without knowing the specifics, it is impossible to say. However, in some cases, certain conditions or diseases can be prevented through early detection and intervention, but other factors may also play a role.

4. How common is it for someone to experience a similar situation to my old friend's son?

It would depend on the specific situation. Some conditions or diseases may be more common than others, and some may be more likely to affect certain demographics or populations. It would be best to consult with a medical professional for more information.

5. Is there anything I can do to support my old friend and their son during this difficult time?

Yes, your support and presence can make a significant difference during a difficult time for your friend and their family. It is essential to listen and offer emotional support, and you can also offer practical help, such as running errands or providing meals. If you are concerned about their son's well-being, you can also offer to accompany them to a doctor's appointment or research information about their condition to better understand and support them.