Is Being Judgmental Hindering Scientific Progress?

• Thread starter jmersey
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of being judgemental and the idea that everyone is judgemental in some way. However, it is important to recognize this trait and work towards being less judgemental by understanding others' perspectives and experiences. It is also noted that wanting to improve oneself is a sign of wisdom, but not realizing one's own judgemental nature is a sign of foolishness. Ultimately, judgement is a part of life and can be used as a means of self-improvement.
jmersey
Sometimes i feel that i am just too judgemental. does anyone else ever feel like this. maybe I am thinkin too much about it

Physics news on Phys.org
We all judge acording to what we believe..the trick is to keep these judgements to yourself.

thanks for your reply, but sometimes i think judgements just leak into your life anyway. with everything you do, its hard not to let those judgements interfere?

I'm sure its how I developed the standards which I live by. But I can still be friends with people who choose to live differently, or have a different set of standards. Even if you whole-heartedly disagree with someone, there is nearly always a common ground.
But yes, its easy to make yourself a island, and to keep others off it. But in the big picture, its just not much fun.

Ha! Ha! We are all judgemental. The wise man knows it. The fool just thinks he is right. You obviously are wise. Keep it up.

jmersey said:
Sometimes i feel that i am just too judgemental. does anyone else ever feel like this. maybe I am thinkin too much about it

That is good, in my opinion, since you can probably tell apart people who are good to you, and people who are "playing" with you. You can try to be more like me-more sarcastic.

I think it's good that you at least recognize this trait. If you feel you are being overly judgemental and don't like that about yourself, it's within your ability to change that.

Ha! Ha! We are all judgemental. The wise man knows it. The fool just thinks he is right. You obviously are wise. Keep it up.

There is no wisdom in accepting our own flaws and calling those who wish to improve "fools".

Here is a guide to becoming less judgemental:

1) If you have beliefs that you would never discuss with others, because you feel it is the sort of thing about which people "just disagree", then examine your own justifications for these beliefs.

2) Think about many different moods that you have been in, and before you say anything important consider what you would have said if you were instead in each of the previous states (choose them to be different, taken from a different time in life, if you feel you have been through several personalities of experience).

3) Work to achieve the true mental state of others. Just like any skill, this one can be refined, you can get better at imagining yourself in someone elses shoes, and find real answers to why they would have the beliefs that are bothering you. You will find that they come from differences in how our bodies and minds work/feel, and the different sets of experiences each individual has.

i think it might have a lot to do with 'self-centered-ness'. what does every1 think?

I didn't mean that wanting to improve yourself makes you a fool. No. Only that realizing that one is judgemental is the first step toward improving ones self. The fool is the one who is judgemental and doesn't realize it.

if no one ever judged anyone else then their wouldn't be any reason to improve, life isn't supposed to be fair, you have to deal with as it comes and if that means improving yourself do it.

What does it mean to be judgmental?

Being judgmental means having a tendency to make harsh or critical evaluations of others based on personal opinions or biases.

Why is being judgmental a problem?

Being judgmental can be a problem because it can lead to unfair treatment of others, damage relationships, and hinder personal growth and understanding.

How can I tell if I am being too judgmental?

If you find yourself constantly forming negative opinions about others or making assumptions without evidence, you may be being too judgmental. Additionally, if others have expressed concerns about your behavior, it may be a sign that you need to reflect on your actions.

What can I do to avoid being too judgmental?

One way to avoid being too judgmental is to practice empathy and try to understand others' perspectives. It may also be helpful to challenge your own biases and assumptions, and avoid making snap judgments about people.

How can I become less judgmental?

Becoming less judgmental takes time and effort, but some strategies include actively listening to others, seeking out diverse perspectives, and focusing on the positive aspects of people rather than their flaws. It may also be helpful to reflect on the root causes of your judgmental behavior and work on addressing them.