I am looking for some books

• Thread starter alech4466
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the speaker is a high school sophomore who has taken introductory level courses in Calculus, Chemistry, Biology, and Astronomy with A's. They are looking for advanced reference books in calculus, physics, chemistry, and astronomy. They are recommended Differential and Integral Calculus by Richard Courant and Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick, both of which are calculus-based. The speaker took calculus in community college and is familiar with integration techniques. They are also considering books by Michael Spivak.
alech4466
I am a sophomore in high school, and I have currently taken through Calculus 1, Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy, and 2 years worth (my school crams 1 year of material into a semester) of mixed sciences all with A's. While each of the classes served as an introductory level course(a little bit more advanced than normal because of my science teacher), I wanted to have a calculus, physics, chemistry, and maybe an astronomy book just to have a reference (any other science/math books you would recommend as a reference). Maybe books that are a little more advanced than introductory level courses. I have not taken an actual physics class though I do know the very basics, so maybe a physics book that is introductory, but still uses calculus, not trig. Thanks in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Differential and Integral Calculus (I think this is vol. 1)
(ISBN: 0471608424 )
Richard Courant
Bookseller: Castle Rock (Las Vegas, NV, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
Quantity Available: 1

Price: US$ 41.61
Convert Currency
Shipping: US$ 3.99
Within U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds
30 Day Returns Policy

Differential and Integral Calculus (I think this is vol 2)
(ISBN: 0471608408 )
Richard Courant
Bookseller: Castle Rock (Las Vegas, NV, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
Quantity Available: 1

Price: US$ 12.00
Convert Currency
Shipping: US$ 3.99
Within U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds
30 Day Returns Policy

Thank you, I'll look up those two books.

Calculus, by Michael Spivak
Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick

The latter is calculus based. If you covered integration in your calc course you should be fine (not sure what was meant by high school calc I)

Okay, looking online for books, Halliday and Resnick popped up a lot.

I took calculus at the local community college because I was taking trig first semester and placed into calculus 2nd semester. The system they use calls the classes Calculus 1, 2 and 3.

Thank you

Oh okay then you should be fine with Halliday and Resnick, with the exception of a fiew parts where there are differential equations (circuits) and possibly a few parts where there are integration techniques like trig substitution used, although you should be able to follow along with the latter. You shouldn't encounter this stuff until after the physics 1 material though.

both spivak and courant v1 will cover the material of calc 1 and calc 2 on that system, but are likely more advanced and will make you think a lot more.

1. What types of books are you looking for?

I am looking for books in the genre of science fiction, specifically ones about space travel and extraterrestrial life.

2. Where do you plan on finding these books?

I plan on searching at my local library, as well as online bookstores and e-book platforms.

3. How many books are you looking for?

I am looking for at least 5 books to start with, but I am open to any recommendations for more.

4. What is the purpose of your search for these books?

As a scientist, I am always looking to expand my knowledge and understanding of different concepts, and science fiction can offer unique perspectives and ideas.

5. Are there any specific authors or titles you are interested in?

I am open to any suggestions, but I am particularly interested in works by Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, and Octavia Butler.