1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am searching for college

  1. Jan 11, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone

    I am undergraduate student and until now I don't enroll to any college, but i have admitted in intensive language center of english in Iowa state university, and I want to complete(in the future) my master in nuclear, but now I am searching for strong or very strong college in physics and exactly in nuclear physics, Can anyone help me please to find a college?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2
    Are you an undergraduate student now looking for graduate school, or wanting to enroll into undergraduate studies? Sorry, I'm having trouble figuring out. :(

    If you are looking for an undergraduate school, then it doesn't really matter, because you cannot decide to specialize generally. What I mean is, your undergraduate degree will say "physics", not "nuclear physics" or anything like that. Maybe not even if you get a master's degree in physics.
  4. Jan 12, 2008 #3
    first, thanks
    I know what you said, I didn't mean that now I'm wanting to enroll in nuclear physics, what I want it is a strong college in physics and exactly neaclear baecause I want to study all ( undergraduate and graduate ) in the same university and same place.
    ok, Is the university of washington in settle good ? and what about iowa state university in general physics ?
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  5. Jan 12, 2008 #4
    You may not want to think of it this way because sometimes it is not possible to study for undergraduate and graduate degrees at the same school. Often, the 'better' schools encourage their undergraduates to apply elsewhere for graduate school. Some schools even prohibit them from applying. Of the two schools you mentioned, UW is probably the better one. As far as which does more nuclear physics, you can visit the department and faculty webpages to determine that.
  6. Jan 14, 2008 #5
    My adviser (I go to University of Washington) told me that generally you won't get accepted for graduate school here if you did your undergraduate studies here. They want you to go and have a diverse background.

    As for nuclear physics at UW, I can't say. Some particle experiments being done, and a nuclear lab, but I'm not sure what you are looking for.
  7. Jan 14, 2008 #6
    you should be more specific in what you want to study. Many schools will offer classes that are considered nuclear physics however I have not heard of any school off hand that is supposed to be strong in nuclear physics. Why is it you want to specialize in nuclear physics?
    as said above, the undergraduate school will not matter as much as long as you do well. Their curriculum should be all relatively the same and if you do well and try hard you can then worry about which graduate school's to apply to and consider which ones offer the courses you want. However also you may find that after completing your undergraduate degree you no longer want to go into nuclear physics
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook