I am starting a new course

• Thread starter biologos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
Sounds like you're designing an exciting course for high school upperclassmen that combines design of experiments and statistics. As a biologist with a math minor, you're looking for advice on how to teach these concepts and prepare the students for their own research projects. You're wondering what a good course outline would be for the first trimester. In summary, you are seeking advice on how to structure your course that will cover both design of experiments and statistics for high school upperclassmen, with a focus on preparing them for their own research projects.
biologos
the course is for high school upperclassmen, it is a design of experiments/ statistics class. i am a biologist with a math minor, so i need to brush up on my stats, specifically statistics with respect to testing, i am interested in anyone with any kind of advice for helping me to hit the ground running. i want to teach the design/stats in the first trimester, and have the second trimester dedicated to students designing and carrying out some reseach and presenting it. what kind of a course outline do you think i should have for the first trimester? thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Biologos is an amazingly incredible Biology and Physiology teacher at my high school. Hopefully somebody out there knowledgeable or experienced with statistics can get this good man some pointers or advice for his new course. It's definitely going to be a blast!

Hey there, Mr. Runkle!

First of all, congratulations on starting a new course! It sounds like a very interesting and valuable class for high school upperclassmen. As a biologist with a math minor, I can understand the need to brush up on statistics and testing. My advice for hitting the ground running would be to start by reviewing the basic concepts and principles of statistics, such as probability, sampling, and hypothesis testing. This will provide a strong foundation for the more advanced topics that you plan to cover in your class.

In terms of a course outline for the first trimester, I would suggest starting with an overview of the scientific method and how statistics are used in the design and analysis of experiments. From there, you could move on to discussing descriptive statistics, such as measures of central tendency and variability. Then, you could cover inferential statistics, including hypothesis testing and confidence intervals. It might also be helpful to incorporate hands-on activities or real-world examples to make the material more engaging and applicable to your students.

For the second trimester, I think it's a great idea to have your students design and carry out their own research projects. This will give them a chance to apply the concepts they learned in the first trimester and gain practical experience in the research process. You could provide guidance and support as they develop their research questions, design their experiments, and analyze their data. The final part of the course could focus on presenting their findings and discussing the implications of their research.

Overall, I think your plan to teach the design and statistics in the first trimester and have the second trimester dedicated to student research is a great approach. It allows for a balance of theory and application, and gives students the opportunity to see the practical applications of statistics in the real world. Best of luck with your new course!

What is the course about?

The course is about [insert topic or subject] and aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of [insert specific learning objectives].

Who is the course designed for?

The course is designed for [insert target audience], including students, professionals, or anyone interested in [insert course topic].

What are the prerequisites for this course?

The prerequisites for this course may vary, but generally, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of [insert related concepts or skills] to fully benefit from the course.

How long is the course?

The duration of the course can vary depending on the format, but typically it can range from a few weeks to a few months.

Will there be any assessments or assignments?

Yes, there may be assessments or assignments throughout the course to test your understanding and progress. These may include quizzes, projects, or essays.