I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wrong.

1. As the title states I am really doubting Ohm's law. This is why: On a breadboard I placed a white LED and a 220Ω resistor with the 9v battery all in series. The total current flowing through the circuit shouldn't be more than 41mA by V=IR, but my multimeter points between the range of 150-120(Edit: mA). Can someone tell me why???

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Integral

Integral 7,351
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wron

We can't help without knowing what you are doing. A circiut diagram including how the meter is connected would help. Try to diagram what you have on the breadboard.

120-150 whats? What kind of meter are you using?

4. davenn

davenn 3,970
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

Re: I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wron

what sort of white LED is it give us a part number ?
    it may be one that draws more current

Hint.... If you ever want to doubt a known physical law, assume it's something you are doing wrong, not the law ;)

Dave

5. Re: I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wron

Sorry about that I have edited it in the original post.

Just so you know the correct way of connecting a meter in a circuit to measure the current is to connect it in series. which I did.

6. Re: I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wron

I agree with you which is why I thought someone could point out where I am wrong. And about drawing more current wouldn't the current be restricted by the resistor?

7. Re: I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wron

1) Measure the actual resistance of the "220 ohm" resistor.
    2) Check the accuracy of the meter (use another meter - digital might be better as it would probably change the circuit less than and analgoue one)

8. Re: I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wron

The resistance of the 220 ohm resistor comes to about 218 ohm.

9. Re: I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wron

Can we verify the battery's voltage?

10. davenn

davenn 3,970
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

yes, but the calculated total current through the circuit is a combination of the total resistance of the resistor and of the forward resistance of the LED

you still didnt tell us what sort of LED ??

Dave

11. K^2

K^2 2,470
    Science Advisor

Unless LED develops a negative voltage drop, that seems kind of irrelevant, no? 9V / 220 Ohm = 41mA.

Any LED will actually reduce voltage by about 1 - 2 volts. So the current with an LED should be even less than 41mA. 150+ mA cannot be explained by any kind of LED.

anj16, can you take a picture of your setup?

12. Re: I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wron

@Dave about the part# for the LED, I have no clue. I bought in bulk off Ebay.
    I have attached a picture of the setup

Attached Files:

13. Re: I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wron

The voltage of the battery is 9v

14. K^2

K^2 2,470
    Science Advisor

Isn't the entire + line connected on the breadboard? If so, your resistor is shorted out. Try checking resistance while it is in the breadboard.

15. Re: I am starting to doubt Ohm's law. I would like someone to point out why I am wron

Thank you so much!! I never thought about that. I think I need a break from this ;)

EDIT: Also the doubt I had is gone because I re-measured the current and it comes to about 41 mA.

16. davenn

davenn 3,970
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

prob solved ....

the old saying ... a pic is worth 1000 words ;)

Dave

17. davenn

davenn 3,970
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

yup fair comment :)

D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?