Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am stumped Can you explain?

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1
    I am stumped!! Can you explain?...

The question of a lifetime. This kid came up and asked me today in school ( a 7th grader) a question, knowing that I was one of the more logical guys in the school. ..... I don't know what to say, he took me by suprise. This will numb my skull forever. He said,

"If I were to spin an oriental person in a circle 3 times really fast, would he become disoriented?"

....The kid's obviously a master mind. Way above his level, I tell ya.

I didn't even know where to put this!!! I had to make my decision between the logic category and this.

Well, your thoughts please :smile:

Paden Roder

P.S.- This is all in fun. Please, nobody get offensive. I am not being racist. I have plenty of oriental friends. Just letting you know, if you are one of those people who likes to ruffle some feathers whenever they get the chance.

Yeah, I'm talkin about you Gokul :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whaaaaa !!!??? Who, me ???? :surprised I ruffle feathers ?? :confused:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  4. Sep 27, 2004 #3
    hehe. :rofl:. I was just joking w/ ya. I thought you'd enjoy it, knowing that you take place in a lot of post here in GD, I figured you'd get here first.

Paden Roder :smile:

5. Sep 27, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Phew... for a minute there, I was quite disoriented. :smile:

Or should I say, "I was sitting about quietly, until that suddenly disquieted me" ?

But darn...am I so predictable ? :redface:

6. Sep 27, 2004 #5
    Do you want me to answer that question? :smile:

Don't quit your day job.

:rofl: I'm on a roll.

I'm just playin w/ ya.

Paden Roder

7. Sep 28, 2004 #6
    Tell the kid you would have a dizzy oriental person on a chair and that he has put too much thought into it. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

8. Sep 28, 2004 #7

jimmy p

Gold Member

Why dont you get him to try the experiment himself. If he gets lumped one in the face then he will have a peed off oriental person. Net result... one hurt stupid questioning child.

9. Sep 28, 2004 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As if that were a tragedy.

10. Sep 28, 2004 #9
    of course an oriental can get disoriented, he is a person too after all, besides oriental and oriented means 2 totaly different things, now beat that kid silly for ****s and giggles

11. Sep 28, 2004 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Aww, geez folks, it was a cute play on words. It wasn't based on any racial stereotypes or anything, so I don't think it was racist, just word-play. Though it might have been better told in the dumb jokes thread :tongue2:

12. Sep 28, 2004 #11

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then maybe you should be aware that orientals are rugs.

Asians are people.

*edit: sorry... just a pet peeve of mine*

13. Sep 28, 2004 #12
    someone beat me to it. No such thing as oriental people, and I'm far from being PC.

14. Sep 28, 2004 #13
    ...So the rapid spinning results in rug burn.

15. Sep 28, 2004 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

enigma : I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. On two counts.

First :

Looks like 'oriental' is being used as an adjective, not a noun, in all these cases.

Now phatmonky objects to this usage as well. I think it's just fine, though 'Asian' is more common. However, the usage of 'Asian' as refering only to people from the Far-East, is a little wacky. It's becoming common to refer to people of Mongoloid descent as Asian. What about Iranians and Bahrainians and Uzbekis and Indians and Pakistanis ? On the other hand, I think 'Oriental' is a better word for this group of people.

And for the noun, this is what Webster has to say :

<smoothing out feathers>

16. Sep 28, 2004 #15

honestly?

17. Sep 28, 2004 #16

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have many friends from India and Pakistan. They all refer to themselves as Asian-American. Asia is a big continent, after all.

But I really don't think we need to get in an argument over this. I was just pointing out one of my pet nit-picks. :blushing:

18. Sep 29, 2004 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahhh, I wasn't being especially coherent that time. I didn't mean to say that Indians and Pakistanis should be refered to as 'Orientals'. Quite the opposite.

Okay...it has been dropped. My apologies for being a tad @n@!.

19. Sep 29, 2004 #18

jimmy p

Gold Member

:biggrin: :biggrin: I know!!! I bloody hate kids. :biggrin: :biggrin:

20. Sep 30, 2004 #19

LURCH

Science Advisor

This reminds me of something I once saw on "Politically Incorrect". Bill Maher had an all-female panel, and one of the geusts was Yoko Ono(sp?). The topic turned to something regarding people form the far east, and one of the geusts said that she thought it was considered inpolite to refer to them as "Asian", they should be called "far-eastern". Another geust responded that she heard it was proper to call them Asian, and Oriental was the term to be avoided. At this point, Bill turned to Yoko (apparently just then recalling that she's of Chinese ancestry) and asked her, "well, Yoko; which term do you prefer?".

Yoko replied, "Don't ask me! John used to call me the Chink in his armor!"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?