I am stupid and everyone hates me

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: I also have a really weird sense of time. I think about things for a really long time before I decide what I want to do, which can also be a problem. I also have extreme social anxiety which makes me really anxious in groups and also makes it hard to make friends.
QuantumTheory
Well I'm almost 18, and I don't know what I want to do yet but something to do with either psychology or science, I'm really interested in science. Please, please read my accuont, www.myspace.com/spacetimecont.

I have no friends. No one wants to hang out with me. If I talk about what I like to do, people call me a geek, weird, etc, eccentric. For example I like to study biology and gynocology (This is even worse for someone my age, because the teenage years people are still finding out who they are, and are still growing up themselves and maturing)

Myspace is a site for teenagers to make friends, or relationships. I go there for friends.

I'm not really smart, but I excel in math. I cannot, however, learn trig or calculus from a book. My comprehension for reading is horrible, however, if I had someone explain it to me like a teacher I'm sure I coudl do beter.

My IQ was tested at 100 (One of the real IQ test, not online)

"www.myspace.com/spacetimecont"[/URL]

So please don't call me weird. Heh.

By the way, my name stands for space time continuum, but when I signed up at one forum, the contiuum part wouldn't fit, so I made the end 'cont'. That's how its been since.

I've had sever depression my whole life, and it interferes to the point where I don't even take care of myself anymore. (i.e shower, trim nails, the basic stuff)

I'm afraid to go to college as well since i just graduated high school. I am 17. I had to graduate from a charter school (are these reliable?) to get my diploma because I couldn't handle the stres of homework

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that you'll be living in a dorm soon, you'll start to interact with a lot of people on a regular basis. I think that'll help a lot. In fact, it's likely you may feel depressed because you don't feel strongly associated with any social circle (I don't mean to sound like I'm analyzing you).

College is a time to really define yourself. Force yourself to meet and make friends. Being around people will give you an idea of how people perceive you and how it differs from how you want to be perceived. Try new things, even it means failing. Hell, I've been boo'ed off stage (not hostily). There's really no other time in your life when you'll have the freedom of being in a place with new people and an environment that nurtures personal experimentation.

I guess the bottom line is, college is awesome. I say this as a person who really didn't like high school at all. So don't give up hope! You've got what many consider the best years of your life right ahead of you.

Thanks Jelfish. I guess the real problem is figuring out what I want to do. I'm interested in forensic science, physics, entomology, japanese lingquistics, aviation (flying pilot) etc

QuantumTheory said:
I'm afraid to go to college as well since i just graduated high school. I am 17. I had to graduate from a charter school (are these reliable?) to get my diploma because I couldn't handle the stres of homework
If homework is too stressful for you, I'd suggest you take some time off before heading to college to really think about what you need to do with your life. There's no avoiding homework, reading, self-study, etc. in college, all the things you list as causing you problems, so if you don't work out those problems first, you're just setting yourself up for failure in college. Sometimes it's worth taking the time to think things through and be sure you give yourself the best chance of success.

Moonbear said:
If homework is too stressful for you, I'd suggest you take some time off before heading to college to really think about what you need to do with your life. There's no avoiding homework, reading, self-study, etc. in college, all the things you list as causing you problems, so if you don't work out those problems first, you're just setting yourself up for failure in college. Sometimes it's worth taking the time to think things through and be sure you give yourself the best chance of success.

I really do love learning, but too much homework is hard for me. I am a slow learner (This doesn't mean I'm not smart, it just takes me longer to learn than others) and I need things repeated often to understand this.

In high school it also took me many hours to do my homework, and I became frusterated. I am taking a break, but I do not see how I can possibly handle all the stress? I also have a mental disorder which makes just doing life a daily chore. I also have to get a job as well..

I've already had probably like 6 weeks off since graduating high school. However, my parents are begging me literally to go to college. Not only that, so is my consoler > He's like "I expect next time I see you to at least have talked to your guidance consoler in college to what you want to do"

I don't want to be put on a damn time limit!

I mean, i have trouble with the homework

Math homework, no problem. Some science is hard for me, however most of it is a breeze. (Equations with atoms are hard for me)

But other stuff like Engish is hell

QuantumTheory said:
Well I'm almost 18, and I don't know what I want to do yet but something to do with either psychology or science, I'm really interested in science. Please, please read my accuont, www.myspace.com/spacetimecont.
I have no friends. No one wants to hang out with me. If I talk about what I like to do, people call me a geek, weird, etc, eccentric. For example I like to study biology and gynocology (This is even worse for someone my age, because the teenage years people are still finding out who they are, and are still growing up themselves and maturing)
Myspace is a site for teenagers to make friends, or relationships. I go there for friends.
I'm not really smart, but I excel in math. I cannot, however, learn trig or calculus from a book. My comprehension for reading is horrible, however, if I had someone explain it to me like a teacher I'm sure I coudl do beter.
My IQ was tested at 100 (One of the real IQ test, not online)
"www.myspace.com/spacetimecont"[/URL]
So please don't call me weird. Heh.
By the way, my name stands for space time continuum, but when I signed up at one forum, the contiuum part wouldn't fit, so I made the end 'cont'. That's how its been since.
I've had sever depression my whole life, and it interferes to the point where I don't even take care of myself anymore. (i.e shower, trim nails, the basic stuff)
I'm afraid to go to college as well since i just graduated high school. I am 17. I had to graduate from a charter school (are these reliable?) to get my diploma because I couldn't handle the stres of homework[/QUOTE]

You think you have problems? Well I know its not something to tell someone as suicidal as you are. But trust me, you not quite there yet. The going only gets tougher after 17. [B]All[/B] the way to the bank, pal. But there is a flip side. If you dig really really deep inside of you right now, and find that one thing or a few interrelated things that make you happy and I don't mean like curious for a few minutes, like it could be the case with physics, but really REALLY happy for hours - then you should grab on to that with both of your claws and don't let it pass you by. Ever heard of grab life by the horns expressions? Do it! Grab that sucker with both your puny hands and shake it, shake it up hard!

Do you like music? Try to become a musician. Suck at it? Keep trying. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY becomes great after 5 minutes of practicing. It takes [B]years[/B]. I see you like Moby - that's good, but keep your mind open to other music styles and genres. Also about the females - sure they love the brainy types. But not the utterly hopeless geek types. You got to spice yourself up! Dont put 'especially a girlfriend' that sends signals of utter hopelessness and desperation on your behalf. Do guys get desperate? Ohh yes. Do you have to announce that to the whole world? No. Matter of fact, the less you announce about your troubles the better - everyone has problems. Try to see it all from a different angle, and keep changing the angle until what you see actually makes you happy. Is it a form of self delusion? You bet. But if it works at 18, it should help you stay alive till 25. Oh and another thing. A friend is not someone you should randomly pick over at a coffee house - it should be a person you trust. Matter of fact on average people don't have that many real friends. Up to a dozen perhaps. This takes years of careful analyzing of the friend in questions and tested waters. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

When you do go to college, you might want to take a few courses at a time rather than a full load. That way you can really focus and go at your own pace. I always thought college should be longer, but they're really aiming to just churn out workers...the president of my college (Sonoma State) said the CSU's where were people went for blue collar, and managerial work. If you wanted to "think," apparently, you go to a UC. You're going to have to make the best plan for you and shut out this kind of thinking to avoid stress. Good luck to ya.

Oh, you might want to get a tutor as well.

Well, I suggest you get out of this depression thing first, and start "taking care" of yourself. Clear up your mind. This is essential.

you know what. I'm stupid and everyone hates me too! join the club. i want a boyfriend too by the way. but damn myself for being picky!

QuantumTheory said:
I also have a mental disorder which makes just doing life a daily chore. I also have to get a job as well..
Are you talking about the depression, or is there something else? Asperger's maybe?

As far as I know stupid people usually don't find out they're stupid. So I think you can't be stupid. Anyway I think we can't be much help. I know a good website where you can talk to some experts.(you can PM me if you'd like to know about it)

QuantumTheory said:
Well I'm almost 18, and I don't know what I want to do yet but something to do with either psychology or science, I'm really interested in science.
I had hard time to choose btw science and psychology when I was at high school, and I finally chose science. Sometimes I think I didn't make a good choice, because I'm certain I could have been a great psychologist but it's not the same about science. But anyway I don't regret it at all. You know try to be honest with yourself and figure it out which 1 of them satisfy you more. Of course you should think of your abilities and interests at the same time.

PS I always thought psychology is science too. Not sure anyway.(I don't care about people ahothink psychologists are dreamer or fantasist.:tongue: )

I have no friends. No one wants to hang out with me. If I talk about what I like to do, people call me a geek, weird, etc, eccentric.
Perhaps you're only different from eople around you. Anyway your interests doesn't sound strange or weird to me! Try to know yourself, nobody knows 1 better than himself/herself!

I'm getting sick and tired of all the suicidketeers showing up. Is it the holidays or what? I tried playing nice with the first couple but now I'm getting tired of the whining. Life's not that bad, quit your crying and grow up.

I read your post and I can relate to it a lot. Originally I was a psychobiology major, then I switched schools and ended up a psychology major...when I started college and in high school all I wanted to do was physics. I can understand the depression thing and no friends, I've been there too. I don't know you but I'd like to give you some advice...but don't take it as gospel...I don't really know you :)
First of all, I think seeing a counselor or clergy about your depression will help you a lot. You could have an undiagnosed disorder like manic depression or a hormonal imbalance. That may not be the case but just having someone to talk to will help you get things sorted out.
You're only 17 and you have many years ahead of you. Lots of fun and exciting times ahead. I wouldn't discourage you from pursuing your dreams but its a good idea to do it in a practical manner..maybe go part time and really concentrate on biology or psychology. Having a job and going to school looks really great to grad schools especially if you are pursuing psychology. It is very competitive to get into graduate school for psychology. You need excellent grades and should have a strong basic science and research background. Even for a masters program. I would also advise you to double major, major in one subject you really love and one that will get you a job, like psych and business or computer information systems and physics or another science (or psychology and biology, but make sure you have some computer science classes and a lot of chemistry thrown in). Find a tutor or form a study group on the first day of classes if you can. Study groups are excellent ways of making friends.
And if you are not sure you are ready to go to college, you could always work and pick up a few classes (one or two at a time) at the local community college or vocational school or look into programs at vocational school related to your interests that might help you get a job to support yourself. A lot of vocational schools have college transfer agreements and offer college level classes that would apply to a science or psychology major. You may already know this, so I hope I don't sound like I'm talking down to you.
I wish you the best of luck and if you have further questions just let me know.

Moonbear was a psycho biology major too.

tribdog said:
Moonbear was a psycho biology major too.
:rofl:

give him his title back!

zoobyshoe said:
Are you talking about the depression, or is there something else? Asperger's maybe?

Sever, depression. Constant suicidal thoughts. Someone on the internet (I think on tihs forum, or somewhere in florida) reported me to the police and they came to my door. Needless to say, I wasn't happen.

I was completetly pissed.

tribdog said:
I'm getting sick and tired of all the suicidketeers showing up. Is it the holidays or what? I tried playing nice with the first couple but now I'm getting tired of the whining. Life's not that bad, quit your crying and grow up.

I'm sorry the other people are like that. But it's not that easy for me. You don't understand. I didn't mean to compound the issue or annoy you, I apologise.

CosminaPrisma said:
I read your post and I can relate to it a lot. Originally I was a psychobiology major, then I switched schools and ended up a psychology major...when I started college and in high school all I wanted to do was physics. I can understand the depression thing and no friends, I've been there too. I don't know you but I'd like to give you some advice...but don't take it as gospel...I don't really know you :)
First of all, I think seeing a counselor or clergy about your depression will help you a lot. You could have an undiagnosed disorder like manic depression or a hormonal imbalance. That may not be the case but just having someone to talk to will help you get things sorted out.
You're only 17 and you have many years ahead of you. Lots of fun and exciting times ahead. I wouldn't discourage you from pursuing your dreams but its a good idea to do it in a practical manner..maybe go part time and really concentrate on biology or psychology. Having a job and going to school looks really great to grad schools especially if you are pursuing psychology. It is very competitive to get into graduate school for psychology. You need excellent grades and should have a strong basic science and research background. Even for a masters program. I would also advise you to double major, major in one subject you really love and one that will get you a job, like psych and business or computer information systems and physics or another science (or psychology and biology, but make sure you have some computer science classes and a lot of chemistry thrown in). Find a tutor or form a study group on the first day of classes if you can. Study groups are excellent ways of making friends.
And if you are not sure you are ready to go to college, you could always work and pick up a few classes (one or two at a time) at the local community college or vocational school or look into programs at vocational school related to your interests that might help you get a job to support yourself. A lot of vocational schools have college transfer agreements and offer college level classes that would apply to a science or psychology major. You may already know this, so I hope I don't sound like I'm talking down to you.
I wish you the best of luck and if you have further questions just let me know.

Thank you, unfortunately, I've always had a hard time with stress. Even living life is stressful enough. My parents are going to kick me outw hen I turn 18 (They don't enjoy my company) and I don't know how to live on my own.

I really hope I can learn to study and stuff, once I learned about 'how a doctor works' they made it sound like you could never have fun in college. The author reffered to video games and tv as 'time killers', my 2 favorite things.

So I can guess for the next 10 yeras i can never do this again

also the homework absolutely i cannot stand. its not going to be easy
also anything to do with chemistry equations or damn atom equations, i excelled at math but this was extremely difficult for me, i almos flunked this part

Lol, you are funny! You should forget college and go into stand up. Before you kill yourself answer a question do you have a video camera?

also the homework absolutely i cannot stand. its not going to be easy
also anything to do with chemistry equations or damn atom equations, i excelled at math but this was extremely difficult for me, i almos flunked this part

Obviously whoever was teaching you had no idea how to teach. They really aren't hard if you get the hang of it... Maybe you should have gotten a tutor or something?

You don't like homework? Wait, maybe that answers what I just said. Well, you could in college try to do it in groups as much as possible I guess, since that makes it better. But honestly, why do you hate homework? Is it too hard, too long, too boring,...etc what?

QuantumTheory said:
Sever, depression. Constant suicidal thoughts. Someone on the internet (I think on tihs forum, or somewhere in florida) reported me to the police and they came to my door. Needless to say, I wasn't happen.
I was completetly pissed.
Yeah, depression is obvious from what you said about letting your personal grooming go. I'm also noticing a lot of things that suggest Asperger's though, specifically: people with Asperger's are very poor at interpersonal relationships, they don't get what other people are all about, and they end up being made fun of, and rejected by their peers. I've read a couple books about it, and they say this not having friends and getting rejected is usually the first problem that leads to it getting diagnosed.

You might want to google "Asperger's Syndrome" and see if you think it fits at all. Read a few different sites about it: they all explain it somewhat differently and each emphasizes different aspects of it, so the more you read the better picture you'll get.

If Asperger's is the cause of your inability to connect with the people around you, then it isn't your fault. It isn't some personal failing on your part. Your brain is wired differently than most people.

Tell you what, I'm in Arizona you are in Arizona. I'll take you out to lunch if you want. McDonalds, on me.

Although I don't know the law about taking someone under 18 out to lunch. hmm, better think about this. If it's okay with your parents I'll take them to McD's too.

Quantum, I agree with others that you should start out part time. Just take a couple of courses to get your feet wet. How about biology and psychology to start? If there are clubs and student organizations available you might want to check them out. It's a great way to make friends who share your interests. College is something you should definitely not miss out on if you have the chance to do it. Personally, I hated my high school experience, but college has just been wonderful.

To quote Dennis Leary:
"SHUT UP! Life is tough, get a helmet!"

Frankly I think you are spoiled rotten. Have you ever been allowed to accomplish anything on your own? You "couldn't deal with homework" so your ever so thoughtful parents made so you didn't have to. You have been robbed. Quit feeling sorry for yourself, and get to work. Nothing worth doing is this life is easy, you have to work, and sometimes work hard. Remember that a college education is 95% perspiration and 5% inspiration.

With an average IQ you should be able to complete any major you choose. The limiting factor is how hard you are willing to work.

Although there are many much nicer ways to say what others have said, they are true.

First of all, we all know what depression is. It's not a 'new disease' like it was 30 years ago. If you say you are depressed, going on about how you feel is like someone coming on here and saying "I have a cold. my nose runs, I sneeze a lot, I cough, get cold and warm spells, and am contagious.".

Personally it doesn't sound like you want to change. There's a big difference between being scared and being a coward. Depression makes you scared of things and uncomfortable and sad - but only you can make the decision to actually back down.

My advice is to simply involve yourself with people that appreciate the things about you that you know are good. For instance, join a math club or a physics club.

Integral said:
To quote Dennis Leary:
"SHUT UP! Life is tough, get a helmet!"
Frankly I think you are spoiled rotten. Have you ever been allowed to accomplish anything on your own? You "couldn't deal with homework" so your ever so thoughtful parents made so you didn't have to. You have been robbed. Quit feeling sorry for yourself, and get to work. Nothing worth doing is this life is easy, you have to work, and sometimes work hard. Remember that a college education is 95% perspiration and 5% inspiration.
With an average IQ you should be able to complete any major you choose. The limiting factor is how hard you are willing to work.

Of course I have. I was in a normal high school for 3 years, I got 'student of the month' for most improved grade. (1.0 GPA to 3.8 GPA). I even got in the newspaper for this.

I have always had good grades, even in regulra high schools but unlike most people, I have a hard trouble learning and doing all the homework. I don't learn as fast as other people, and it takes me a lot longer to do homework. (Many hours longer)

tribdog said:
Lol, you are funny! You should forget college and go into stand up. Before you kill yourself answer a question do you have a video camera?

Dude, you told me to go kill myself now you want to go 'eat out'? I wouldn't normally meet anyone on the internet, let alone someone that tell sme to do this.

QuantumTheory said:
I have always had good grades, even in regulra high schools but unlike most people, I have a hard trouble learning and doing all the homework. I don't learn as fast as other people, and it takes me a lot longer to do homework. (Many hours longer)
There's no way around that than to just keep working at it. You can't go with some cop-out excuse that it's just too hard...it's hard for a lot of people to learn. Unless you have a bona fide learning disability, it's not an excuse. Nobody is going to spoon-feed you lessons in college. If you can't keep up with your high school homework, you're not ready to handle college-level work. You could try a few classes at a junior college, but unless you're ready to work on your problems and fix them, you're just wasting your time and money. You'd be better off just going out and getting a job when you're done with high school.

My parents are going to kick me outw hen I turn 18 (They don't enjoy my company) and I don't know how to live on my own.
You'll learn, just like everyone else does. It's all part of growing up. What did you think you were going to do, depend on your parents for everything your whole life?

If you really have problems with clinical depression, get it treated. Though, from your posts here, you sound like you have more going on than just depression. You need to talk to a psychiatrist and get the appropriate treatment.

Everybody has weaknesses. Not everybody has the same ones, as many, or as big of weaknesses, but we all have them. Just don't be ashamed, take them head-on!

I've known a number of people who had issues with depression, couldn't get girlfriends, had trouble just making friends, ect.
They tended to all have the same things on common. They continually complained about their problems, were depressed, and didn't take very good care of themselves.
These were probably the biggest contributing factors in their trouble forming relationships with others.
Depression has a snowball effect. Once you get there and spend any time there it makes it terrible trouble to get out of it. You need to pick yourself up and get yourself moving. It gets hard and you'll always feel like you can't do it on your own but you can.
About a year ago I had a particularly crushing experience. In my poor judgment I wound up going on a two-three month drinking binge. I was drunk every single night until I was waking up in the morning with the shakes and realized what I was doing to myself. I was to the point where I would seriously find it a hard decision between buying food to eat and buying myself alcohol.
You can pick yourself up and keep moving too. You sound like you've been doing a pretty good job of it so far. You're just at a point where everything looks as though it will be getting more serious and more difficult and you're faultering. Don't worry so much. Just keep going. In College you will likely meet friends and having friends will probably make you feel much better and ease your mind.

If there are things in your life that make it unpleasant, take consolation in the fact that you're not going to live forever. Meanwhile do things just to see what happens.

tribdog said:

It really doesn't matter if he's the first, third, or hundredth. It's not a club. If you're so sick of it then ignore the f***ing post.

And yes, I considered the fact that you were joking, and no, I'm not.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I've known a number of people who had issues with depression, couldn't get girlfriends, had trouble just making friends, ect.
They tended to all have the same things on common. They continually complained about their problems, were depressed, and didn't take very good care of themselves.
These were probably the biggest contributing factors in their trouble forming relationships with others.
Depression has a snowball effect. Once you get there and spend any time there it makes it terrible trouble to get out of it. You need to pick yourself up and get yourself moving. It gets hard and you'll always feel like you can't do it on your own but you can.
About a year ago I had a particularly crushing experience. In my poor judgment I wound up going on a two-three month drinking binge. I was drunk every single night until I was waking up in the morning with the shakes and realized what I was doing to myself. I was to the point where I would seriously find it a hard decision between buying food to eat and buying myself alcohol.
You can pick yourself up and keep moving too. You sound like you've been doing a pretty good job of it so far. You're just at a point where everything looks as though it will be getting more serious and more difficult and you're faultering. Don't worry so much. Just keep going. In College you will likely meet friends and having friends will probably make you feel much better and ease your mind.

Thank you, your advice is very helpful