Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am stupid and everyone hates me

1. Dec 18, 2005 #1
    Well I'm almost 18, and I don't know what I want to do yet but something to do with either psychology or science, I'm really interested in science. Please, please read my accuont, www.myspace.com/spacetimecont.

I have no friends. No one wants to hang out with me. If I talk about what I like to do, people call me a geek, weird, etc, eccentric. For example I like to study biology and gynocology (This is even worse for someone my age, because the teenage years people are still finding out who they are, and are still growing up themselves and maturing)

Myspace is a site for teenagers to make friends, or relationships. I go there for friends.

I'm not really smart, but I excel in math. I cannot, however, learn trig or calculus from a book. My comprehension for reading is horrible, however, if I had someone explain it to me like a teacher I'm sure I coudl do beter.

My IQ was tested at 100 (One of the real IQ test, not online)

www.myspace.com/spacetimecont

So please don't call me weird. Heh.

By the way, my name stands for space time continuum, but when I signed up at one forum, the contiuum part wouldn't fit, so I made the end 'cont'. That's how its been since.

I've had sever depression my whole life, and it interferes to the point where I don't even take care of myself anymore. (i.e shower, trim nails, the basic stuff)

I'm afraid to go to college as well since i just graduated high school. im 17. I had to graduate from a charter school (are these reliable?) to get my diploma because I couldnt handle the stres of homework

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2005 #2
    Assuming that you'll be living in a dorm soon, you'll start to interact with a lot of people on a regular basis. I think that'll help a lot. In fact, it's likely you may feel depressed because you don't feel strongly associated with any social circle (I don't mean to sound like I'm analyzing you).

College is a time to really define yourself. Force yourself to meet and make friends. Being around people will give you an idea of how people perceive you and how it differs from how you want to be perceived. Try new things, even it means failing. Hell, I've been boo'ed off stage (not hostily). There's really no other time in your life when you'll have the freedom of being in a place with new people and an environment that nurtures personal experimentation.

I guess the bottom line is, college is awesome. I say this as a person who really didn't like high school at all. So don't give up hope! You've got what many consider the best years of your life right ahead of you.

4. Dec 18, 2005 #3
    Thanks Jelfish. I guess the real problem is figuring out what I want to do. I'm interested in forensic science, physics, entomology, japanese lingquistics, aviation (flying pilot) etc

5. Dec 18, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If homework is too stressful for you, I'd suggest you take some time off before heading to college to really think about what you need to do with your life. There's no avoiding homework, reading, self-study, etc. in college, all the things you list as causing you problems, so if you don't work out those problems first, you're just setting yourself up for failure in college. Sometimes it's worth taking the time to think things through and be sure you give yourself the best chance of success.

6. Dec 18, 2005 #5
    I really do love learning, but too much homework is hard for me. I am a slow learner (This doesnt mean I'm not smart, it just takes me longer to learn than others) and I need things repeated often to understand this.

In highschool it also took me many hours to do my homework, and I became frusterated. I am taking a break, but I do not see how I can possibly handle all the stress? I also have a mental disorder which makes just doing life a daily chore. I also have to get a job as well..

7. Dec 18, 2005 #6
    I've already had probably like 6 weeks off since graduating high school. However, my parents are begging me literally to go to college. Not only that, so is my consoler > He's like "I expect next time I see you to at least have talked to your guidance consoler in college to what you want to do"

I dont want to be put on a damn time limit!

I mean, i have trouble with the homework

Math homework, no problem. Some science is hard for me, however most of it is a breeze. (Equations with atoms are hard for me)

But other stuff like Engish is hell

8. Dec 18, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

You think you have problems? Well I know its not something to tell someone as suicidal as you are. But trust me, you not quite there yet. The going only gets tougher after 17. All the way to the bank, pal. But there is a flip side. If you dig really really deep inside of you right now, and find that one thing or a few interrelated things that make you happy and I dont mean like curious for a few minutes, like it could be the case with physics, but really REALLY happy for hours - then you should grab on to that with both of your claws and dont let it pass you by. Ever heard of grab life by the horns expressions? Do it! Grab that sucker with both your puny hands and shake it, shake it up hard!

Do you like music? Try to become a musician. Suck at it? Keep trying. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY becomes great after 5 minutes of practicing. It takes years. I see you like Moby - thats good, but keep your mind open to other music styles and genres. Also about the females - sure they love the brainy types. But not the utterly hopeless geek types. You gotta spice yourself up! Dont put 'especially a girlfriend' that sends signals of utter hopelessness and desperation on your behalf. Do guys get desperate? Ohh yes. Do you have to announce that to the whole world? No. Matter of fact, the less you announce about your troubles the better - everyone has problems. Try to see it all from a different angle, and keep changing the angle until what you see actually makes you happy. Is it a form of self delusion? You bet. But if it works at 18, it should help you stay alive till 25. Oh and another thing. A friend is not someone you should randomly pick over at a coffee house - it should be a person you trust. Matter of fact on average people dont have that many real friends. Up to a dozen perhaps. This takes years of careful analyzing of the friend in questions and tested waters. A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  9. Dec 18, 2005 #8
    When you do go to college, you might want to take a few courses at a time rather than a full load. That way you can really focus and go at your own pace. I always thought college should be longer, but they're really aiming to just churn out workers...the president of my college (Sonoma State) said the CSU's where were people went for blue collar, and managerial work. If you wanted to "think," apparently, you go to a UC. You're gonna have to make the best plan for you and shut out this kind of thinking to avoid stress. Good luck to ya.

Oh, you might wanna get a tutor as well.

10. Dec 18, 2005 #9
    Well, I suggest you get out of this depression thing first, and start "taking care" of yourself. Clear up your mind. This is essential.

11. Dec 18, 2005 #10
    you know what. i'm stupid and everyone hates me too! join the club. i want a boyfriend too by the way. but damn myself for being picky!

12. Dec 18, 2005 #11
    Are you talking about the depression, or is there something else? Asperger's maybe?

13. Dec 18, 2005 #12

Lisa!

Gold Member

As far as I know stupid people usually don't find out they're stupid. So I think you can't be stupid. Anyway I think we can't be much help. I know a good website where you can talk to some experts.(you can PM me if you'd like to know about it)

I had hard time to choose btw science and psychology when I was at high school, and I finally chose science. Sometimes I think I didn't make a good choice, because I'm certain I could have been a great psychologist but it's not the same about science. But anyway I don't regret it at all. You know try to be honest with yourself and figure it out which 1 of them satisfy you more. Of course you should think of your abilities and interests at the same time.

PS I always thought psychology is science too. Not sure anyway.(I don't care about people ahothink psychologists are dreamer or fantasist.:tongue: )

Perhaps you're only different from eople around you. Anyway your interests doesn't sound strange or weird to me! Try to know yourself, nobody knows 1 better than himself/herself!

14. Dec 18, 2005 #13
    I'm getting sick and tired of all the suicidketeers showing up. Is it the holidays or what? I tried playing nice with the first couple but now I'm getting tired of the whining. Life's not that bad, quit your crying and grow up.

15. Dec 18, 2005 #14
    I read your post and I can relate to it a lot. Originally I was a psychobiology major, then I switched schools and ended up a psychology major....when I started college and in high school all I wanted to do was physics. I can understand the depression thing and no friends, I've been there too. I don't know you but I'd like to give you some advice...but don't take it as gospel....I don't really know you :)
    First of all, I think seeing a counselor or clergy about your depression will help you a lot. You could have an undiagnosed disorder like manic depression or a hormonal imbalance. That may not be the case but just having someone to talk to will help you get things sorted out.
    You're only 17 and you have many years ahead of you. Lots of fun and exciting times ahead. I wouldn't discourage you from pursuing your dreams but its a good idea to do it in a practical manner..maybe go part time and really concentrate on biology or psychology. Having a job and going to school looks really great to grad schools especially if you are pursuing psychology. It is very competitive to get into graduate school for psychology. You need excellent grades and should have a strong basic science and research background. Even for a masters program. I would also advise you to double major, major in one subject you really love and one that will get you a job, like psych and business or computer information systems and physics or another science (or psychology and biology, but make sure you have some computer science classes and a lot of chemistry thrown in). Find a tutor or form a study group on the first day of classes if you can. Study groups are excellent ways of making friends.
    And if you are not sure you are ready to go to college, you could always work and pick up a few classes (one or two at a time) at the local community college or vocational school or look into programs at vocational school related to your interests that might help you get a job to support yourself. A lot of vocational schools have college transfer agreements and offer college level classes that would apply to a science or psychology major. You may already know this, so I hope I don't sound like I'm talking down to you.
    I wish you the best of luck and if you have further questions just lemme know.

16. Dec 18, 2005 #15
    Moonbear was a psycho biology major too.

17. Dec 18, 2005 #16

cronxeh

Gold Member

:rofl:

give him his title back!

18. Dec 18, 2005 #17
    Sever, depression. Constant suicidal thoughts. Someone on the internet (I think on tihs forum, or somewhere in florida) reported me to the police and they came to my door. Needless to say, I wasn't happen.

I was completetly pissed.

19. Dec 18, 2005 #18
    I'm sorry the other people are like that. But it's not that easy for me. You don't understand. I didn't mean to compound the issue or annoy you, I apologise.

20. Dec 18, 2005 #19
    Thank you, unfortunately, ive always had a hard time with stress. Even living life is stressful enough. My parents are going to kick me outw hen I turn 18 (They dont enjoy my company) and I don't know how to live on my own.

I really hope I can learn to study and stuff, once I learned about 'how a doctor works' they made it sound like you could never have fun in college. The author reffered to video games and tv as 'time killers', my 2 favorite things.

So I can guess for the next 10 yeras i can never do this again

also the homework absolutely i cannot stand. its not going to be easy
    also anything to do with chemistry equations or damn atom equations, i excelled at math but this was extremely difficult for me, i almos flunked this part

21. Dec 18, 2005 #20
    Lol, you are funny! You should forget college and go into stand up. Before you kill yourself answer a question do you have a video camera?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?