Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am the alpha skunk

1. Jun 14, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A skunk has gotten wise to my office situation and learned to use the cat door. This has been going on for a couple of months, and surprisingly the only real problem is the cost in cat food. But there is always the concern that, sooner or later, it is going to blast my office and/or cat. In the past, lights, and a loud TV or radio was enough to run off any intruders, but this one is pretty fearless and it was getting to be a real issue. However, tonight I was inspired. I sprayed the skunk!

I heard it trying to open the door, so I blocked it in hopes of discouraging entry, but the thing is incredibly persistent and was desperately trying to get through the barrier. So I grabbed a bottle of windex, set it on fine mist, and when the door lifted...

Haven't seen him since! How cool is that?!?!?! :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2008 #2
    Awesome!

Maybe the skunk is prepping an army for battle...

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3
    We've had the same happen. I hate skunks cause there are so many in our area (especially at our last house)

5. Jun 16, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

In our old house bathroom for some time we had a small recess in the wall, left by plumbers that have changed whole water installation. We were not aware of the fact that there was a hole that was leading directly to the outside. One day my wife was bathing and she heard some noise - it was a rat trying to get inside. So she sprayed it with the only thing she can reach - some perfumes :smile:

6. Jun 16, 2008 #5
    I bet thats a story that the skunk family will pass down for generations.

7. Jun 16, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:surprised :rofl:

That's hilarious! Maybe Windex can add it to their product claims...skunk deterrent. :rofl:

8. Jun 16, 2008 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ah, poor thing, you could have blinded it. :frown:

It was always polite & considerate, never sprayed or hurt anything and then to be viciously assaulted. If I were you, I would be afraid, very afraid Ivan. :surprised Skunks don't forget. :wink:

9. Jun 16, 2008 #8
    it sounds like it made a clean break

10. Jun 16, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was careful not to give it a direct shot in the face. I had the nozzle on mist, and the cat door was only cracked open, so he just got a good smell.

Besides, it only worked for a couple of days. :cry: Last night he was back and more persistent than ever. He was walking right in even knowing that I was in here.

I used to just shoot them, but since I've gotten to know skunks better, I don't have the heart anymore... unless there is no choice. Eventually they leave when winter hits. Not to mention that if you hit the stink bag, wooooooooo, that is a completely new experience in life. Honestly, I didn't think it was possible for anything to smell that bad. Normally skunk smell doesn't really bother me, but when I hit that gland or whatever, I could barely retrieve the body for disposal without losing my lunch. Besides, I think this one is Bun's friend. :rolleyes:

11. Jun 16, 2008 #10
    start feeding it outside by the door , then farther and farther away from the house

12. Jun 16, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a good idea. If it's already swiping cat food, might be best to give in and just provide it food someplace more acceptable so it stays outside.

13. Jun 16, 2008 #12
    Skunk is coming back with 20 more and you're going to regret what you did to it!

14. Jun 16, 2008 #13
    Ivan---I think I would have popped it like it your 'olden' days---

if I remember right, skunks are the most common carrier for rabies and if you (your wife, kids (?), visiting friends, etc.) venture out, and it is or becomes rabid.....

or call the local 'Dept. of Saving Wild Animals from Windex Intoxication' in your area.

15. Jun 16, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Careful, Ivan, now you've really pissed them off.
    They're regrouping...
    [​IMG]
    Unionizing...
    [​IMG]
    And prepared for chemical warfare!
    [​IMG]

16. Jun 16, 2008 #15
    can't you call an wild-life care group near you to take care of it ?

17. Jun 16, 2008 #16
  18. Jun 16, 2008 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, we live in a remote area with acreage. Problems like this come with the turf.

19. Jun 16, 2008 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, and coons, and nutria, and every wild cat running the area.

20. Jun 16, 2008 #19
    I'm cool with raccoons, cause they are really smart and cool, but skunks...ugh...

21. Jun 16, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Coons can and will kill your cats and your dogs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?