1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am weak in physics. Please help me to solve these problems.

1. Oct 12, 2003 #1
    1. A 16-kg sled is being pulled along the horizontal snow-covered ground by a horizontal force of 24 N. Starting from rest, the sled attains a speed of 2 m/s in 8 m. Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the runners of the sled and the snow.

2. A dump truck of 2500 kg is being filled with sand. The sand falls straight downward from rest from a height of 2 m above the truck bed, and the mass of sand that hits the truck per second is 55 kg/s. The truck is parked on the platform of a weight scale. By how much does the scale reading exceed the weight of the truck and sand?

3. An 8-g bullet is fired into a 250-g block that is initially at rest at the edge of a smooth table of height 1 m, as shown in the figure. The bullet remains in the block, and after the impact the block lands 2 m from the bottom of the table. Determine the initial speed of the bullet.

4. A 1200-kg car traveling initially with a speed of 25 m/s due east crashes into the rear end of a 9000-kg truck moving in the same direction at 20 m/s. The velocity of the car right after the collision is 18 m/s to the east. How much mechanical energy is lost in the collision?

Thanks a lot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Help you- yes. Do them for you- no. Do what you can and show us what you have tried. That will help us understand what kind of help you need.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?