Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I announce: PF Irc

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    Heyya :biggrin:

Who wants to open up the IRC Channel for PF?

In case you dont know what IRC is (I couldnt even believe it when ~christina~ asked me for what it is):

IRC - Wikipedia

If you are looking for a good IRC-Client I recomment

XChat, free for Linux, Shareware for Windows
    mIRC, very popular Client for Windows. 30d trial

or

Choose yourself: Comparison of IRC Clients

Connect to

Network: irc.freenode.net
    Channel: #physicsforums

As regards the regular Chat: If we get enough people to join IRC we can modify our chat here, so it's directly connected to IRC.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2
    FYI. Sunday PF Chat will not move to IRC.

4. Mar 12, 2008 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We already have chat provided by the forum.

5. Mar 12, 2008 #4
    I know that, and as I said there would no problem with keeping it. But IRC would be accessable from anywhere - anytime -, whereas you have to use the embedded client in the forums to access it here.

Don't you think this would be an advantage over sustaining these restrictions here? Although having the chat at Sunday only makes it somewhat tempting and appealing, an established IRC-Chat would not negate the Sunday Chat here.

If not, that's absolutly okay. I just thought people would appreciate it as much as I would.

PS: What is FYI ?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  6. Mar 12, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For your information.

I think the Sunday chat on the forums works well. I have no idea what IRC is, but it seems like one has to download some sort of "client" anyway: surely it's just easier to access the chat from the webpage, like we have been doing?

7. Mar 12, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Chat is set up for access from the forum for members as a "treat". Since it takes people away from posting in the forums, it is not something that is set up full time.

As Greg said, we won't be going to IRC, and I agree, there isn't a need to.

8. Mar 12, 2008 #7
    Okay. Will be looking forward to Sunday's chat then.

9. Mar 12, 2008 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There are also already several #physics channels on various IRC servers. I myself am an op on the Undernet server. So I don't see the need to have another one.

Zz.

10. Mar 12, 2008 #9
    Once a week is enough. As others have said in previous discussions, the people in charge want to keep this site forum based, with chat there it may draw alot of people out of the forums, and in my opinion PF would change for the worse!

11. Mar 12, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Precisely. Plus, having used IRC, I will most assuredly NEVER set foot in an IRC room again...any moron can wander in, and it's SO hard to get rid of them.

12. Mar 12, 2008 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not if you have OP status! :)

Zz.

13. Mar 12, 2008 #12
    Having OP status and knowing how to use it are two entirely different things.

14. Mar 13, 2008 #13

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Don't people give OP status to people who at least know how to Kick and Ban, or even set topics? At least that's my experience. The Undernet server is even more stringent. You have to register with their bot, since in cases where there's no other OPs, it's the bot that OPs you.

Zz.

15. Mar 13, 2008 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think so.

Most people prefer forums over chat, especially PF members.

16. Mar 13, 2008 #15
    I see your point there, I know I would probably spend less time in the forums :blushing:

17. Mar 15, 2008 #16

ranger

Gold Member

No its not. If the ports are blocked, your IRC client cannot connect to the IRC server. My school is doing this on their public (wireless) network for obvious security reasons. The embedded chat on PF is much more convenient because it only requires the flash plugin.

18. Mar 15, 2008 #17

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know, if there were a LaTeX-enabled chat room I might not ever come out....drool.....:rofl:

19. Mar 15, 2008 #18

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

http://www.mathim.com/

20. Mar 15, 2008 #19

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Mar 15, 2008 #20
    I don't know why you would want to change our chat we have here, latex would ne nice, but the chat is actually a nice way to gwt away from it all :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?