I announce: PF Irc

• Thread starter ManDay
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Heyya :biggrin:

Who wants to open up the IRC Channel for PF?

In case you dont know what IRC is (I couldnt even believe it when ~christina~ asked me for what it is):

IRC - Wikipedia

If you are looking for a good IRC-Client I recomment

XChat, free for Linux, Shareware for Windows
mIRC, very popular Client for Windows. 30d trial

or

Choose yourself: Comparison of IRC Clients

Connect to

Network: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #physicsforums

As regards the regular Chat: If we get enough people to join IRC we can modify our chat here, so it's directly connected to IRC.

Answers and Replies

FYI. Sunday PF Chat will not move to IRC.

Evo
Mentor
We already have chat provided by the forum.

We already have chat provided by the forum.
I know that, and as I said there would no problem with keeping it. But IRC would be accessable from anywhere - anytime -, whereas you have to use the embedded client in the forums to access it here.

Don't you think this would be an advantage over sustaining these restrictions here? Although having the chat at Sunday only makes it somewhat tempting and appealing, an established IRC-Chat would not negate the Sunday Chat here.

If not, that's absolutly okay. I just thought people would appreciate it as much as I would.

PS: What is FYI ?

Last edited:
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
PS: What is FYI ?
For your information.

I think the Sunday chat on the forums works well. I have no idea what IRC is, but it seems like one has to download some sort of "client" anyway: surely it's just easier to access the chat from the webpage, like we have been doing?

Evo
Mentor
Chat is set up for access from the forum for members as a "treat". Since it takes people away from posting in the forums, it is not something that is set up full time.

As Greg said, we won't be going to IRC, and I agree, there isn't a need to.

Okay. Will be looking forward to Sunday's chat then.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
There are also already several #physics channels on various IRC servers. I myself am an op on the Undernet server. So I don't see the need to have another one.

Zz.

Once a week is enough. As others have said in previous discussions, the people in charge want to keep this site forum based, with chat there it may draw alot of people out of the forums, and in my opinion PF would change for the worse!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Chat is set up for access from the forum for members as a "treat". Since it takes people away from posting in the forums, it is not something that is set up full time.

As Greg said, we won't be going to IRC, and I agree, there isn't a need to.
Precisely. Plus, having used IRC, I will most assuredly NEVER set foot in an IRC room again...any moron can wander in, and it's SO hard to get rid of them.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Precisely. Plus, having used IRC, I will most assuredly NEVER set foot in an IRC room again...any moron can wander in, and it's SO hard to get rid of them.
Not if you have OP status! :)

Zz.

Having OP status and knowing how to use it are two entirely different things.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Don't people give OP status to people who at least know how to Kick and Ban, or even set topics? At least that's my experience. The Undernet server is even more stringent. You have to register with their bot, since in cases where there's no other OPs, it's the bot that OPs you.

Zz.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Once a week is enough. As others have said in previous discussions, the people in charge want to keep this site forum based, with chat there it may draw alot of people out of the forums, and in my opinion PF would change for the worse!
I don't think so.

Most people prefer forums over chat, especially PF members.

I don't think so.

I see your point there, I know I would probably spend less time in the forums :blushing:

ranger
Gold Member
But IRC would be accessable from anywhere - anytime -, whereas you have to use the embedded client in the forums to access it here.
No its not. If the ports are blocked, your IRC client cannot connect to the IRC server. My school is doing this on their public (wireless) network for obvious security reasons. The embedded chat on PF is much more convenient because it only requires the flash plugin.

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't think so.

I don't know, if there were a LaTeX-enabled chat room I might not ever come out....drool.....:rofl:

I don't know why you would want to change our chat we have here, latex would ne nice, but the chat is actually a nice way to gwt away from it all :smile:

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That mathim is pretty cool. Don't you wish you'd had that idea earlier Tom. :wink:

Kurdt, what's the avatar? Didn't recognise you for a second.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I don't think so.

I agree. Active forums are what PF members come here for. To start a daily chat would take the activity away from those forums.