PF IRC: Join #physicsforums on Freenode Now!

• Thread starter ManDay
  • Start date
In summary, IRC would be an advantage over sustaining these restrictions here, as it would be accessible from anywhere - anytime.
ManDay
Heyya :biggrin:

Who wants to open up the IRC Channel for PF?

In case you don't know what IRC is (I couldn't even believe it when ~christina~ asked me for what it is):

IRC - Wikipedia

If you are looking for a good IRC-Client I recomment

XChat, free for Linux, Shareware for Windows
mIRC, very popular Client for Windows. 30d trial

or

Choose yourself: Comparison of IRC Clients

Connect to

Network: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #physicsforums

As regards the regular Chat: If we get enough people to join IRC we can modify our chat here, so it's directly connected to IRC.

Physics news on Phys.org
We already have chat provided by the forum.

Evo said:
We already have chat provided by the forum.

I know that, and as I said there would no problem with keeping it. But IRC would be accessable from anywhere - anytime -, whereas you have to use the embedded client in the forums to access it here.

Don't you think this would be an advantage over sustaining these restrictions here? Although having the chat at Sunday only makes it somewhat tempting and appealing, an established IRC-Chat would not negate the Sunday Chat here.

If not, that's absolutly okay. I just thought people would appreciate it as much as I would.

PS: What is FYI ?

Last edited:
ManDay said:
PS: What is FYI ?

For your information.

I think the Sunday chat on the forums works well. I have no idea what IRC is, but it seems like one has to download some sort of "client" anyway: surely it's just easier to access the chat from the webpage, like we have been doing?

Chat is set up for access from the forum for members as a "treat". Since it takes people away from posting in the forums, it is not something that is set up full time.

As Greg said, we won't be going to IRC, and I agree, there isn't a need to.

Okay. Will be looking forward to Sunday's chat then.

There are also already several #physics channels on various IRC servers. I myself am an op on the Undernet server. So I don't see the need to have another one.

Zz.

Once a week is enough. As others have said in previous discussions, the people in charge want to keep this site forum based, with chat there it may draw a lot of people out of the forums, and in my opinion PF would change for the worse!

Evo said:
Chat is set up for access from the forum for members as a "treat". Since it takes people away from posting in the forums, it is not something that is set up full time.

As Greg said, we won't be going to IRC, and I agree, there isn't a need to.

Precisely. Plus, having used IRC, I will most assuredly NEVER set foot in an IRC room again...any moron can wander in, and it's SO hard to get rid of them.

Moonbear said:
Precisely. Plus, having used IRC, I will most assuredly NEVER set foot in an IRC room again...any moron can wander in, and it's SO hard to get rid of them.

Not if you have OP status! :)

Zz.

Having OP status and knowing how to use it are two entirely different things.

Don't people give OP status to people who at least know how to Kick and Ban, or even set topics? At least that's my experience. The Undernet server is even more stringent. You have to register with their bot, since in cases where there's no other OPs, it's the bot that OPs you.

Zz.

_Mayday_ said:
Once a week is enough. As others have said in previous discussions, the people in charge want to keep this site forum based, with chat there it may draw a lot of people out of the forums, and in my opinion PF would change for the worse!

I don't think so.

Most people prefer forums over chat, especially PF members.

JasonRox said:
I don't think so.

I see your point there, I know I would probably spend less time in the forums :blushing:

ManDay said:
But IRC would be accessable from anywhere - anytime -, whereas you have to use the embedded client in the forums to access it here.

No its not. If the ports are blocked, your IRC client cannot connect to the IRC server. My school is doing this on their public (wireless) network for obvious security reasons. The embedded chat on PF is much more convenient because it only requires the flash plugin.

JasonRox said:
I don't think so.

I don't know, if there were a LaTeX-enabled chat room I might not ever come out...drool...:rofl:

Tom Mattson said:
I don't know, if there were a LaTeX-enabled chat room I might not ever come out...drool...:rofl:

http://www.mathim.com/

I don't know why you would want to change our chat we have here, latex would ne nice, but the chat is actually a nice way to gwt away from it all :smile:

That mathim is pretty cool. Don't you wish you'd had that idea earlier Tom. :wink:

Kurdt, what's the avatar? Didn't recognise you for a second.

_Mayday_ said:
Kurdt, what's the avatar? Didn't recognise you for a second.

Its the back of my head. :wink:

Kurdt said:
Its the back of my head. :wink:

A right! The back of the helmit you had previously!?

JasonRox said:
I don't think so.

I agree. Active forums are what PF members come here for. To start a daily chat would take the activity away from those forums.

Moonbear said:

ZapperZ said:
Don't people give OP status to people who at least know how to Kick and Ban, or even set topics? At least that's my experience.
Zz.

See, Moonbear? It's my fault for giving you OP status and no instructions on how to make things work. :rofl:

GeorginaS said:
See, Moonbear? It's my fault for giving you OP status and no instructions on how to make things work. :rofl:

:rofl: Did you give the guy who wanted to behead us all OP status too?

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Did you give the guy who wanted to behead us all OP status too?

Nah, as I understand it, he just wandered on in. :rofl:

ManDay said:
Heyya :biggrin:

Who wants to open up the IRC Channel for PF?

In case you don't know what IRC is (I couldn't even believe it when ~christina~ asked me for what it is):

What??

I can't believe your naming names:grumpy: (I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't know what IRC is)

I just happened to look over here in the forum feedback section and I saw this...and I was like "IRC"...and

robphy said:
faints* great!

Last edited:
I have mentioned this before but here it is again.

If anyone wants to try voice chats you will just need to download and install the Team Speak client and have speakers or headphones and a Microphone.
I use it for gaming and it works well.
Here is the link to download Team Speak.
http://www.goteamspeak.com/?page=downloads
It is freeware and all you will need is the Client.
There is a public server called "Alpha Teamspeak" whoever wants to try voice chats can meet there. you can set up a room called PF Chat and set the password to be "physics"
The password will keep the riff-raff out.
Whoever sets the room up will have admin rights.
Just a thought have fun.

Now, how exactly does a password posted here keep out the riff raff? You don't need to be a member here to read posts.

The riffraff I am referring to are some of the people that already have TeamSpeak installed and are just searching for rooms that are not password protected too mess with people.

I clicked on the flashchat and it doesn't work.

I agree that this site is awesome just forum-based, but I also agree that a chat/irc channel/wtvr would be beneficial ONLY if it's active, I tried to get help in the other IRC networks by joining the physics channels and they were just unhelpful.

elephantorz said:
I clicked on the flashchat and it doesn't work.

Flashchat should be up in an hour or two.

1. What is PF IRC?

PF IRC is an online chat platform that allows members of Physics Forums to communicate with each other in real-time. It stands for "Physics Forums Internet Relay Chat".

2. How do I join #physicsforums on Freenode?

To join #physicsforums on Freenode, you will need to have an IRC client installed on your device. Once you have the client, you can connect to the Freenode server and join the #physicsforums channel by typing "/join #physicsforums" in the chat box.

3. Do I need to be a member of Physics Forums to join the IRC channel?

No, you do not need to be a member of Physics Forums to join the IRC channel. However, we encourage you to join the community to fully benefit from the discussions and resources available.

4. What can I expect from the #physicsforums channel?

The #physicsforums channel is a place for members to discuss various topics related to physics and science. You can expect to find helpful and knowledgeable individuals who are passionate about science and willing to share their knowledge and insights.

5. Is there a specific code of conduct for the #physicsforums channel?

Yes, there is a code of conduct that all members are expected to follow while using the #physicsforums channel. This includes being respectful to others, avoiding spam or excessive self-promotion, and refraining from discussing controversial or sensitive topics. Please refer to the channel rules for more information.