Apologizing for Egotism: Taking a Step Back to Understand

• Thread starter stochastic
  • Start date
In summary, a thread discussing the real-life application of negative numbers was closed due to a disagreement between members that escalated into personal insults. The original poster expressed frustration with the actions of an administrator and the overall tone of the forum, while others defended the actions taken and emphasized the importance of civil discussion.
stochastic
I tend to get swept away in waves of egotism and when I finally reach the shore again I can see just how violent those waves are.

All you can do is try to take a step back and imagine you're someone else observing who you really are. :shy:

or i could just be spouting nonsense again! :rofl:

I'll add a question so this isn't completely wasting space :tongue2:
If you could rename the googol and googolplex for offical use what would you call them? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
i really like this quote

A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again.

Alexander Pope

stochastic, I really don't think you need to apologize. You wanted a real-life example of why the product of two negative numbers produces a positive number. After I gave you an example using torque and rotation, I was basically called a sewer rat by arildno. I guess that we are sewer rats for needing to have practical applications for mathematics; if so, then I guess that sewer rats are more practical than mathematicians.

You insisted upon having a practical application for negative numbers, after I gave you one, we were called sewer rats, and then the thread was closed because you "insist on denigrating people". Maybe chroot should have taken arildno's post into consideration, I thought that his was pretty denigrating. I tend to think that chroot is biased, considering that he locked a perfectly healthy thread with one of his reasons being that you were being denigrating, when others were just as denigrating.

I am making somewhat of a deal about this incident because this should be a forum, where people can discuss issues, even when they don't agree. Disagreement is a great fuel for educational conversations. I don't like the idea that an administrator can close a thread any time he wants just because he doesn't like how the discussion is going. This makes me leery about getting involved in any more threads, for fear of being banned because I don't agree with the democratic majority.

Lastly, I do not know any engineering, physics, or mathematics professors that would have engaged into insulting others simply because they do not agree with their views. Real professionals discuss issues with facts, not with opinions, and that is why I tend to believe that many of those involved in these forums are teenagers or first-year college students.

Dr. Proof said:
stochastic, I really don't think you need to apologize. You wanted a real-life example of why the product of two negative numbers produces a positive number. After I gave you an example using torque and rotation, I was basically called a sewer rat by arildno. I guess that we are sewer rats for needing to have practical applications for mathematics; if so, then I guess that sewer rats are more practical than mathematicians.

You insisted upon having a practical application for negative numbers, after I gave you one, we were called sewer rats, and then the thread was closed because you "insist on denigrating people". Maybe chroot should have taken arildno's post into consideration, I thought that his was pretty denigrating. I tend to think that chroot is biased, considering that he locked a perfectly healthy thread with one of his reasons being that you were being denigrating, when others were just as denigrating.

I am making somewhat of a deal about this incident because this should be a forum, where people can discuss issues, even when they don't agree. Disagreement is a great fuel for educational conversations. I don't like the idea that an administrator can close a thread any time he wants just because he doesn't like how the discussion is going. This makes me leery about getting involved in any more threads, for fear of being banned because I don't agree with the democratic majority.

Lastly, I do not know any engineering, physics, or mathematics professors that would have engaged into insulting others simply because they do not agree with their views. Real professionals discuss issues with facts, not with opinions, and that is why I tend to believe that many of those involved in these forums are teenagers or first-year college students.

Please note that if you think that you have been insulted by another member, a mentor, or a moderator, HIT THE REPORT BUTTON! It is what it is there for, not for decoration. It is when another member decides to participate in the frivolity of throwing insults that we get things deteriorating into "he said she said".

If you think something inappropriate was posted, report it. Do not take it upon yourself either to retaliate, or to tackle this yourself.

Zz.

Note: if you want to discuss a mathematical or philosophical point, please do so in the appropriate forum. Discussion in this thread should be limited to a metadiscussion of the events involving the original thread, and related feedback.

Dr. Proof said:
stochastic, I really don't think you need to apologize.
I posit that you are not objectively assessing the content of the thread, or you have a very different idea of civil discussion than those who maintain this forum.

I agree with chroot's action -- I would have taken some action on that thread yesterday morning if I had the time to evaluate it properly. (note that was before you had posted)

I am making somewhat of a deal about this incident because this should be a forum, where people can discuss issues, even when they don't agree. Disagreement is a great fuel for educational conversations. I don't like the idea that an administrator can close a thread any time he wants just because he doesn't like how the discussion is going.
We are in complete agreement. Happily, the thread was not closed simply because there was a disagreement, so one wonders why you would even bring this up.

Last edited:
ZapperZ said:
It is when another member decides to participate in the frivolity of throwing insults that we get things deteriorating into "he said she said".Zz.

I agree, ZapperZ. I did not intend to stir the soup, but obviously I did. I just registered on this forum yesterday, and I am still learning how things work around here. I didn't even realize that the report button existed. For what it's worth, let me say this: I was not offended by anything anyone said, I was just disappointed that the thread ended because I wanted to ask some more questions about what these guys perspectives were on Math, cause you see, I don't think I understand mathematicians as well as I thought.

Dr. Proof said:
I agree, ZapperZ. I did not intend to stir the soup, but obviously I did. I just registered on this forum yesterday, and I am still learning how things work around here. I didn't even realize that the report button existed. For what it's worth, let me say this: I was not offended by anything anyone said, I was just disappointed that the thread ended because I wanted to ask some more questions about what these guys perspectives were on Math, cause you see, I don't think I understand mathematicians as well as I thought.

Please note that the academic subject forums are meant to discuss actual subject matter of that particular area. If you wish to discuss the workings and the people in that area, you need to go to another part of PF, either GD, Philosophy, etc... Those forums are not meant to discuss these things not directly related to the content of that area. So already there's plenty of reason why that thread was already veering off course if that is your intention in the first place.

Also, since you are new here, maybe you should try to reserve some judgement against people on this forum until you have a clue on how it runs.

Zz.

1. Why is it important to apologize for egotism?

Apologizing for egotism is important because it shows self-awareness and accountability for one's actions. It also demonstrates humility and a willingness to learn and grow as a person.

2. How can apologizing for egotism improve relationships?

Apologizing for egotism can improve relationships by fostering a sense of mutual respect and understanding. It shows that you value the other person's feelings and are willing to make amends for any harm caused by your egotistical behavior.

3. What are some common signs of egotism?

Some common signs of egotism include constantly talking about oneself, seeking attention and validation, belittling others, and having difficulty accepting criticism or feedback.

4. How can one take a step back to understand their egotism?

Taking a step back to understand egotism involves introspection and self-reflection. It may also involve seeking feedback from others and being open to their perspectives and criticisms.

5. Can apologizing for egotism be seen as a weakness?

No, apologizing for egotism is not a weakness. In fact, it takes courage and strength to acknowledge and take responsibility for one's actions. It shows maturity and a willingness to improve oneself.