I attend college on a government grant?

In summary, the individual is seeking information about attending college on a government grant due to their father's death in Vietnam. One person suggests checking a website for information on grants for veterans and their family members. It is mentioned that there may be specific eligibility requirements based on the individual's age and relationship to the veteran. Another person mentions a program that provides financial assistance to dependents of disabled veterans and provides a link for more information. It is suggested that the individual may no longer be eligible for these benefits based on their age.
karlahaze
Hi all, I am in poor finance and I would like to attend college. My father died in Vietnam; can I attend college on a government grant? One of my friends told that I could attend college on a government grant because my father died as a result of Agent Orange in the Vietnam War. Is this true and if so where do I go to get more information about this? Please help me. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know there is a program that gives help to family members of veterans of the Marines, as for the other branches, try going to http://www.finaid.org/military/veterans.phtml" and just look around.

Last edited by a moderator:
There might be. Was your father on active duty at the time of his death or did he receive a service-related disability rating? I take it you are no longer a dependant (since the war ended in 1976)?

If your father died during the Vietnam War, then you're not exactly a youngster just starting out. I'm not sure if the rules change once you're old enough to be financially independent. A lot of the rules based on parental income (or lack thereof) change once someone passes about 25 y.o. and is assumed to no longer reasonably expect a parental contribution for colleget education.

karlahaze said:
Hi all, I am in poor finance and I would like to attend college. My father died in Vietnam; can I attend college on a government grant? One of my friends told that I could attend college on a government grant because my father died as a result of Agent Orange in the Vietnam War. Is this true and if so where do I go to get more information about this? Please help me. Thanks a lot.

So he died during wartime? Yes, it is also something they do for dependents of totally disabled veterans. My wife and duaghter both receive it.

The issue becomes your age. You would have to be under 26 or 25. And if you are then yes it is 925.00 a month if you are a fulltime student. It is called chapter 35. Survior and Dependents education.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH35/CH35_Pamphlet_General.htm

above is the link. I think you are probably out of eligibility.

1. How do I apply for a government grant to attend college?

To apply for a government grant to attend college, you will need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This can be done online or by mail and will require information about your financial situation, such as income and assets. The FAFSA is used to determine your eligibility for various types of financial aid, including government grants.

2. What types of government grants are available for college students?

There are several types of government grants available for college students, including the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and state grants. These grants are need-based and do not need to be repaid. There may also be specific grants available for certain demographics, such as students from low-income families or students pursuing certain fields of study.

3. Am I guaranteed to receive a government grant if I meet the eligibility requirements?

No, meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee that you will receive a government grant. Government grants are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so it's important to submit your FAFSA as early as possible. Additionally, the amount of funding available for grants may vary each year, so not all eligible students may receive a grant.

4. Can I use a government grant to attend any college or university?

Generally, government grants can be used at any accredited college or university that participates in federal financial aid programs. However, some state-specific grants may only be used at in-state schools. It's important to check the specific guidelines for each grant you are interested in to ensure that your chosen college is eligible.

5. Do I have to pay back a government grant?

No, government grants do not need to be repaid as long as you meet the eligibility requirements and use the funds for educational purposes. However, if you drop out of college or do not maintain satisfactory academic progress, you may be required to repay a portion or all of the grant funds you received.