I , been a while -- density of a liquid, the density of a solid, and a height....

In summary, the density of a liquid is determined by its mass and volume, and is typically measured in grams per milliliter. The density of a solid, on the other hand, is determined by its mass and volume, and is typically measured in grams per cubic centimeter. The height of an object can also affect its density, as increased height can lead to increased pressure and therefore increased density. Overall, density is an important physical property that can help determine the composition and characteristics of various substances.
vampulski
It has been a long time since I have worked with this and I need help just starting out.

The problem involves the density of a liquid, the density of a solid, and the height where the solid will be released in the liquid, gravitational force, and the time it takes to reach the top of the liquid.

I don't want answers, I just need help starting with this. Is there any equation that relates height to these 2 densities and time? Does it involve taking the difference between 2 forces, liquid and solid?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vampulski said:
It has been a long time since I have worked with this and I need help just starting out.

The problem involves the density of a liquid, the density of a solid, and the height where the solid will be released in the liquid, gravitational force, and the time it takes to reach the top of the liquid.

I don't want answers, I just need help starting with this. Is there any equation that relates height to these 2 densities and time? Does it involve taking the difference between 2 forces, liquid and solid?

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you post a sketch of the situation? Your description so far doesn't seem to completely describe the problem...

You can Upload the image of your sketch (PDF or JPG) bu using the UPLOAD button in the lower right.

It sounds like you are talking about buoyancy. Wikipedia has a decent article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

The time it takes for an object to move through liquid will also depend on the viscosity of the liquid and shape of the object.

Khashishi said:
It sounds like you are talking about buoyancy. Wikipedia has a decent article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

The time it takes for an object to move through liquid will also depend on the viscosity of the liquid and shape of the object.
It does not involve viscosity or shape of object, it just asks to do dimensional analysis to find equations that relate time to h(distance from object to surface), density of liquid, density of object, and g(gravity). I just need a start, maybe some equation(s) that can help relate these variables.

vampulski said:
I just need a start, maybe some equation(s) that can help relate these variables.

well as you were asked, please explain this more clearly, it doesn't make much sense ...

vampulski said:

people may be able to help you if you help them with a clearer description with drawingsDave

vampulski said:
It has been a long time since I have worked with this
vampulski said:
It does not involve viscosity or shape of object, it just asks to do dimensional analysis to find equations that relate time to h(distance from object to surface), density of liquid, density of object, and g(gravity).
This is starting to sound like schoolwork. Perhaps you should re-post in the Homework Help, Introductory Physics forum, and fill out the Template that you are provided there. Be sure to fill out the sections on the Relevant Equations, and show your Attempt at a Solution.

This obtuse thread in the general technical forums is now closed. Thanks everybody for trying to help.

1. What is density?

Density is a measure of how much matter is contained in a given volume. It is typically expressed in units of mass per unit volume, such as g/cm^3 or kg/m^3.

2. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. This can be represented by the formula D=m/v, where D is density, m is mass, and v is volume.

3. What is the difference between the density of a liquid and the density of a solid?

The density of a liquid is typically lower than the density of a solid, as liquids have more space between their particles. However, this is not always the case as there are some exceptions, such as ice being less dense than liquid water.

4. How does the density of a substance affect its behavior?

The density of a substance can affect its behavior in various ways. For example, substances with a higher density tend to sink in liquids with a lower density, while substances with a lower density tend to float. Density also plays a role in the buoyancy of objects and the ability to mix with other substances.

5. Can density be changed?

The density of a substance is an inherent property and cannot be changed. However, it can be affected by factors such as temperature and pressure. For example, the density of a gas increases as the temperature decreases, and the density of a liquid increases as the pressure increases.