Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I blew it :-(

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Last night I heard the sound of Ricco (the Fruit Bat) urinating on something in the distance, that unmistakable staccato sound of him letting the urine fly. Instinctively I screamed and ran toward the sound. He was using the cat's litter box. I scared him half to death and now he won't go near it. :frown: I've been kicking myself ever since.

I tried all night to calm him down, going to the cat box and praising him and feeding him pieces of my yummy garlic dill cheese that he loves every time I touched the cat box and told him what a good boy he was.

How can I undo the damage and get him to use the cat box again? The windchill outside is 5 degrees. I WANT HIM TO USE THE CAT BOX!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2
    wait, what? you trained a fruit bat to use a litter box??? :cool:

4. Dec 8, 2007 #3

Evo

He's a liitle Japanese Chin dog, smaller than a cat, he eats fruit and has been nicknamed "The Fruit Bat", he looks like a gremlin.

5. Dec 8, 2007 #4
    ahhhhh ok hehe, those dogs have beady eyes :)

6. Dec 8, 2007 #5

Evo

The Fruit Bat

[​IMG]

7. Dec 8, 2007 #6
    haha, did you just get him?

8. Dec 8, 2007 #7

Evo

No, my older daughter gave him to me a few years ago.

9. Dec 8, 2007 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Maybe you should wait until he really has to go really urgently, set him in the litter box and stick his front paws in some warm water... Then if he lets go, give him some NutriCal, a couple of sweet golden raisins, and a classic Lassie DVD as a reward.

10. Dec 8, 2007 #9

Evo

:rofl:

11. Dec 8, 2007 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's really interesting that he did that. I wonder if he has ever done that before when you weren't around.

12. Dec 8, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Were you actually training him to use the litterbox, or was it an accidental discovery?

Maybe you could put a litterbox in a new location, and see if he'll use it in the new location? He might just associate the location as bad, not the litterbox.

13. Dec 8, 2007 #12

Astronuc

Perhaps try a different litter box - of his own, as opposed to the cat's. Different smell - different location.

Traumatic associations are difficult to change.

Or call Cesar Millan - the Dog Whisperer.
    http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

14. Dec 8, 2007 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One 20 below zero morning in Omaha, a local radio show had a call-in contest to see whose dog could go pee and get back in the house the fastest. The caller had to be on the phone during the dog's potty run (to validate the feat, but mostly for entertainment). The funniest was the dog that peed all the way to the door as the owner dragged it by the collar, but it was disqualified since it didn't actually wait until it got outside.

In other words, instead of using a litter box, just train Fruit Bat to pee faster.

15. Dec 8, 2007 #14

Evo

He learned it on his own, apparently from watching the cat. I think it was his first time, but now some of the patterns in the box make sense, so maybe he's done it before.

He hasn't gone near the cat box since last night. :cry:

16. Dec 8, 2007 #15

Astronuc

Give him some time - perhaps a week. You might gently transport him to the litter box when he seems like he needs to go, and then reward him - not necessarily with food - but with some other positive response.

Remember you are the alpha female in the house.

17. Dec 8, 2007 #16

Evo

The snow has crusted over with ice and the ground drops off to a ledge then down into the ravine. He just went out, started sliding down to the ravine edge and had a real problem trying to make his way back to the door. I'm going to have to find his leash so I don't lose him. If he goes over the edge, there's no way I can rescue him. I can certainly slide off into the ravine, but I'll never make it back out.

18. Dec 8, 2007 #17

Evo

Oh he's peeing faster and shorter, we're going out about every 10 minutes to do a single squirt, then back inside. :grumpy:

19. Dec 8, 2007 #18

turbo

Gold Member

You don't need a leash for that little peanut! A shoe-string will do. Get a spool of nylon cord, tie it to his collar, and let the Fruit Bat out and stay warm and dry inside the house. If he drops out of sight, reel him back in. In fact, you could have even more fun if you got a a lively little fishing rod, hooked a sling-swivel to his collar and reeled him back in when necessary. Wheeeeeee!!!!!

20. Dec 8, 2007 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know someone whose dog would do that, or flat out refuse to go out in the cold. She had to get him little boots and a jacket, and it solved the problem entirely.

:rofl:

21. Dec 9, 2007 #20

russ_watters

Good thing you clarified, because I was going to suggest you try a large moustrap...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?