Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I buy Christmas presents when

1. Dec 8, 2007 #1
    anyone can give me a convincing argument that I should buy them something that they don't need.

So far for the past 6 years I haven't had to buy anything! It's great, you should try the same thing.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2007 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Tried it. "Do it, or you're not getting any for two months" was a pretty convincing argument.

4. Dec 8, 2007 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, if only I could convince my family to do away with gift trading, I'd be so happy. But, no, every year I have to go hunting for something for my parents, when I have no idea what they need or want anymore. Sometime after Christmas, I finally make it to the post office with the packages, usually reminded when mom whines over the phone, "We didn't receive any presents from you, did you send any?" Sometime in March, I get an email from my mom, "The check I sent you for Christmas still hasn't cleared, please cash it so I can balance my checkbook." Sometime around May she reminds me of that again. I then respond that I have no idea where it is, probably got thrown out with all the other Christmas cards amidst the junk mail. She grumbles and sends another check and tells me if I find the old one, let her know and to make sure I shred it before throwing it out. By July, I finally give up the battle and cash the stupid check.

Some people are fun to exchange gifts with, because you know what they really want or need, and they know what you really want or need, and while you could each buy it for yourselves, it's more fun to buy them for each other. That's not the case with my parents. They usually send me something I don't want or need, I probably send them something they don't want or need, and it's just a waste of money. Worse, is when they trap me by sending checks. Should I just turn around and write them a check in the same amount? Net cost, just slightly under a dollar for the two stamps to send each other a check? No, of course if they sent a check, I can't send them one back, so I'm still stuck having to find something to buy.

Yes, I'm ranting. This is NOT the fun part of the holiday. I'd rather just stick to spoiling the kids rotten and not worry about adults.

5. Dec 8, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We've stopped most gift giving, for the girls they just want money. My oldest and her boyfriend are taking me out to the finest steak restaurant in town, and she is doing a drawing for me (she's a very talented artist).

Child of Evo hopefully will get me the Robin of Sherwood PBS DVD set. :!!)

6. Dec 8, 2007 #5

Mk

I'm all about this philosophy too. Jeez.

7. Dec 8, 2007 #6

turbo

Gold Member

My wife and I gave up Christmas gift-giving at least 20 years ago. Instead we concentrate on making our family's Christmas Eve get-together into a feast. It's not real cheap, and it's a lot of work, but cooking is way more fun than shopping for presents. Gotta have a big fillet of Atlantic salmon hickory-smoked in a maple-syrup glaze, a roast turkey of course, clam dip made with whole baby clams and lots of lemon juice for tang, crackers, cheeses, smoked oysters, sardines, etc, with mustards, salsas, and sweet hot-chili jellies for the little ones and those who can't take my hotter stuff.

8. Dec 8, 2007 #7
    Hmm, let's see... Everyone needs air, water and food. Depending on the climate, some people also need shelter. Unattractive people need clothing. Yep, that's all I can think of. Everything else is "want" instead of "need".

9. Dec 8, 2007 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm starting this year. I'm not buying anyone anything. I told everyone not to buy me anything this year. If they buy me something, it's their problem.

I'm doing a lot of Christmas things though. Just gifts isn't one of them.

10. Dec 8, 2007 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree. That's much better.

I really enjoy the feeling of going to and being at a great diner.

11. Dec 8, 2007 #10

turbo

Gold Member

We did that with our closest friends and their daughters every Christmas day until the girls got old enough to get involved with starting their own families and and dealing with their in-laws and/or out-of-state ongoing education.

Typical Christmas dinners lasted all afternoon and into the evening (interspersed with games, conversation and music) and included my hot (spicy) home-made pizzas with home-made sauce, spicy hickory-smoked steak strips, eggrolls, taco-dip, clam-dip, lots of crackers, cheeses, smoked seafoods, hot sauces, mustards. The older daughter spurred her parents to get to our place early every year so she could help me load my charcoal-fired smoker with the marinated steak strips and taste-test them until they got just a little past rare. I would give the girls choices about which foods they wanted, and their primary choice would definitely be honored, while their follow-up choices would be weighed against the wishes of others. Those two cuties tag-teamed me almost every year, with one choosing the smoked marinated steak strips, the other choosing eggrolls, and both asking for my thin-crust pizza with hot home-made pizza sauce. That way, they got all three favorites along with a whole bunch of other treats. We don't get together with these young ladies for Christmas anymore due to geographic considerations, their own families and in-laws, etc. but they still want me to cook their favorites when they show up for visits, and I've developed a few more favorites, like my hot marinated grilled jumbo shrimp - I have to plan on at least 1/2# of shrimp per person, and we still always run out (in the presence of lots of other foods!).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  12. Dec 8, 2007 #11
    Guys guys guys. Your missing the entire point of celebrating the birth of christ.....to buy junk at the shipping mall! - where is your holiday spirit? Jerry falwell is turning in his firey grave.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  13. Dec 8, 2007 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Mine is single-malt scotch. PM me for my shipping address.

14. Dec 8, 2007 #13
    I did not know you were Irish Catholic?

15. Dec 8, 2007 #14

turbo

Gold Member

I was raised Catholic, and am probably about equal parts, French, Indian and Irish. There are two large coastal islands off Harpswell, ME named for both sides of my father's Irish family who came here during the potato famines. Unfortunately we don't own pieces of either of them (nor could we afford to pay the taxes on them if we did.)

16. Dec 8, 2007 #15
    How many kids you have? 22 .............ALL CATHOLIC

17. Dec 8, 2007 #16

turbo

Gold Member

None. I rejected Catholicism in my teens, and since my wife and I both grew up in large families we decided to spend our lives with each other and not with a gaggle of kids.

18. Dec 8, 2007 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should read John Grisham's book "Skipping Christmas". I enjoyed it much more than his lawyer stories (although two or three of those were very good).

19. Dec 8, 2007 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you think if I wrapped it up and gave it to my mom for Christmas that she'd get the hint?

20. Dec 8, 2007 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, yeah? :uhh: Except I'm not sure it would be the hint you were thinking of, though.

21. Dec 8, 2007 #20

turbo

Gold Member

Yup! My daughter gave me this great book for Christmas! That's better than the tea towels from last year, so I'll have to get her something really nice next year. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?