Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can hear though my nose!

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Today I was doing some serious detail work on my fence with my jigsaw. I had earplugs because the jigsaw is quite noisy. They're pretty good earplugs, muting the sound dramatically to a distant buzz.

But I chanced to yawn, clearing my ears, (which opens up one's Eustacian tubes) and suddenly the sound was dramatically louder! Closing my mouth made virtually no difference as long as my nose was still open, but plugging my nose muted the sound. The noise of the jigsaw was reaching my ears through my nose!

Tee hee!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2008 #2
    This is by far the most peculiar and interesting post I've read all day.

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3
    I guess you could then say that you, "have a nose for music"? :rofl:

5. Jul 6, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I know the effect. Funny in a way. To some extent I can open my Eustachian tubes on demand and occasionally I am playing in "now I hear you/now I don't" :smile:

6. Jul 6, 2008 #5
    Blow it out your ear. I don't believe it.

7. Jul 6, 2008 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Neither did I, but the results are pretty irrefutable.

8. Jul 6, 2008 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Me too. Never been able to empathize with people who have trouble clearing their ears at altitude or under pressure. A helpful feature when I dive.

9. Jul 6, 2008 #8
    They had, in the old days, ear horns to aid in hearing, but when I read this, I had a stray thought of someone with one of those old phonograph/ear 'horns' in the nose.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  10. Jul 6, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In order to protect your hearing, next time you should wear nose plugs and keep your mouth closed.

Have you ever seen the people that can squirt milk from their tear duct?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  11. Jul 6, 2008 #10
    Nose lol

12. Jul 6, 2008 #11
    I can blow air through my tear duct...

13. Jul 6, 2008 #12
    This was once explained to me by a music instructor, as the reason many of us sing slightly off-key. I was told that we hear our own voices, not so much externally as others do, but more internally as it is fed back through the nasal passage, etc, - - - and this is often slightly muted.

KM

14. Jul 6, 2008 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Big nostrils Dave? :tongue: My ex had nostrils so big I often found myself wondering what kind of small animals could crawl into his nose.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?