Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can push_back each permutated set into a vector or list

1. Jul 30, 2004 #1
    Here is the code...
    PHP:
    int main(){
        char a[]={'m','i','s','o'};
        do{
            std::copy(a,a+4,std::ostream_iterator<int>(std::cout, " "));
            std::cout<<std::endl;
        }while(std::next_permutation(a,a+4));
        return 1234567890;
    }
    Can you tell me how I can push_back each permutated set into a vector or list or anything ?
    I would like to use each of them then...
    Do you have any ideas or instructions ?

(Edit) I am sorry, I change int array into char one and my first question should be how to make a string from chars above, I would first change them into "miso"- a string rather than just a char-array

Thanks
    Nn

Last edited: Jul 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2004 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

4. Jul 30, 2004 #3
    I am sorry, I forgot to change the type passed in ostream_iterator class which should be "char" instead of int.
    :shy: I am still a newie in STL :shy:, as far as I know, it depends on the compilers people use to make that code compile with or without include<iterator>. Don't forget to include<algorithm> also or permutation won't agree to go the way you want...

Thanks dduardo for the link, I know my problem can be easily solve with C but I like to do it with C++/STL better...

5. Jul 30, 2004 #4
    By the way, my problem is not exactly about permutation but about grabbing each of
    permutated subset, holding it as an element in a vector or a list at which I am getting stuck...

Any ideas, instructions would as always appreciated...
    Again Thanks a lot

6. Jul 30, 2004 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dduardo's link does do it using the STL...

Anyways:

You simply need to use/make an object that can hold a permutation, and build a container of those objects.

7. Jul 30, 2004 #6
    I am sorry, i didn't come there to have a look...

Can you please be more specific about building a container, i am new and have never done anything like that before?

Thanks

8. Jul 31, 2004 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I meant just use list or vector, as in "build a vector out of those objects"; I didn't mean to suggest you should write your own container class for this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?