Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing I can see Uranus...

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sorry for the title, I just can't help myself :)

Anyhow, here's shots from 2 consecutive nights- you can even see 3 moons, probably Titania, Oberon, and Ariel:

DSC_6673_crop_zpsltmnkebl.jpg
    (10/10/16 at 11pm)

DSC_6696_crop_zpsi1e6rlf3.jpg
    (10/11/16 at 10:40 pm)

Deets: 800/5.6, 8", ISO 2000. Non-bleached images (not shown) were taken at 1", ISO 100.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2016 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Wooo! That's how I felt many years ago when I built a 6" Newtonian and first saw the rings of Saturn.

This may be ignorance on my part: why do some background objects (in the "plane" of what I take to be the moons) suddenly appear at 11pm? I assume exposure time....

4. Oct 12, 2016 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If I am looking at the same dots, those are stars- you can barely see them in the other image. I tweaked both images before posting, one was originally a jpg and the other originally raw, so there's some nonuniformity there.

5. Oct 12, 2016 #4
    you know i think i geeked out for almost a week each for jupiter and saturn throw my little 4.5 in

6. Oct 12, 2016 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

great shots, Andy :smile: pity that the longer exposing to bring out the moons has caused the loss of the nice blue/green colour of the planet

It was only around 4-5 yrs ago that I saw Uranus for the first time through my own scope
    The only other time was around 25 yrs ago through my mates scope, back in New Zealand

I really have to try and add Neptune to the collection one day

Dave

7. Oct 12, 2016 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Thanks- I have some properly exposed shots of the planet (it really is a nice blue-green), but there's not enough space to cut-n-paste it in without blotting out one of the moons. Neptune is also on my to-do list, and maybe Pluto...

Edit- hey! Neptune is very close to Uranus right now... tonight it's cloudy and Neptune is almost directly next to the moon, but within a week (so the moon is a bit away) it should be 'easy' to locate. Stay tuned...

8. Oct 13, 2016 #7

1oldman2

Gold Member

This helpful hint from, http://nineplanets.org/uranus.html :wink: (Nice shots by the way)
    Careful pronunciation may be necessary to avoid embarrassment; say "YOOR a nus" , not "your anus" or "urine us".

9. Oct 13, 2016 #8

russ_watters

Nice work, but I'm not quite understanding your setup: were those single shots from a DSLR and telephoto lens? Or a telescope? Must have been on an equatorial/motorized mount, right....?

10. Oct 13, 2016 #9

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

yes, cropped single shots with a DSLR and telephoto lens. The lens has a tripod mounting foot that I attach to an equatorial mount.

11. Oct 13, 2016 #10

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Here's the composite, I left the bright star in the crop:
    DSC_6696-1_zpsuyno9pan.jpg

12. Oct 13, 2016 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why those three? In particular, why Ariel? Miranda too close and Umbriel too dark?

Oh and...hehehe...he said "Uranus!" (couldn't resist either)

13. Oct 13, 2016 #12

russ_watters

Impressive.

14. Oct 14, 2016 #13

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Those three moons are the brightest, is all. I have no idea which moons they really are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted