I cannot access the Start menu

• Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
In summary, I hate Windows. It sucks. If you have any recommendations as to how I might reverse this crap, I'm all ears.
mugaliens
Windows seems to have taken over all aspects of my computing. I HATE it. It SUCKS. If you have an any recommendations as to how I might reverse this crap, I'm all ears.

Specifically, all windows appear to be maximized, to the extent I cannot access the Start menu or any other bar.

Computer science news on Phys.org

Dump Winodws permanently and download Ubuntu Linux. You won't be sorry.

Uh... Help? Please? Anyone care to input with how I might restore my task bar?

phyzguy said:

Thanks. Unfortunately, all too many $$$ programs I used to feed my gut will run only on Windows.

I'm just trying to figure out why the lower bar isn't responding.

Alt control del then end process called explorer.exe then close the taskmanager. Press alt crtrl delete then start a new process called explorer.exe.

Tell me if it worked. :-)

phyzguy said:
Ubuntu has it own share of problems. After the last update my friends ubuntu doesn't startup anymore.

I have to install 2 different versions of ubuntu to get it show up on my monitor and for my wireless networks to show up.

The third time I installed it didn't respond to any firefox plugin linkage. That is, when I installed the plugin in ternimal and tried to link it with firefox it would put the file in the right place but firefox will not recognise it. It had nothing to do with firefox...all ubuntu.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Ubuntu has it own share of problems. After the last update my friends ubuntu doesn't startup anymore.

I have to install 2 different versions of ubuntu to get it show up on my monitor and for my wireless networks to show up.

The third time I installed it didn't respond to any firefox plugin linkage. That is, when I installed the plugin in ternimal and tried to link it with firefox it would put the file in the right place but firefox will not recognise it. It had nothing to do with firefox...all ubuntu.

I've never had any problems with it - not major ones like that.

It sounds like your drivers weren't working.

The firefox thing, if you don't install it through firefox or tell firefox it's there it won't show up.

-------------

Mugs, if a restart doesn't solve the problem then Ctrl Alt Del won't. Are you sure you haven't removed the task bar?

Go into control panel and check under appearance. There should be a task bar setting in there that indicates if you've removed it.

jarednjames said:
I've never had any problems with it - not major ones like that.

It sounds like your drivers weren't working.

The firefox thing, if you don't install it through firefox or tell firefox it's there it won't show up.

-------------

Mugs, if a restart doesn't solve the problem then Ctrl Alt Del won't. Are you sure you haven't removed the task bar?

Go into control panel and check under appearance. There should be a task bar setting in there that indicates if you've removed it.
I know that firefox won't know it's there that's why I linked the file by some command I got of the flash website. I followed all the steps and it didn't work. I asked my friend who sucessfully installed his flash to help out but to no avail.

Also ending and restarting explorer.exe always fixes my startbar problems on vista. Sometimes my mimimized file would refuse to open up and when I restart explorer.exe everything comes back to normal.

But yeah, if a restart didn't fix it then something else is wrong.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I know that firefox won't know it's there that's why I linked the file by some command I got of the flash website. I followed all the steps and it didn't work. I asked my friend who sucessfully installed his flash to help out but to no avail.

Flash is a tricky b*tch. I've found a group that repackage it and provide it for easy install via the terminal straight from them.

Took me ages to sort it out.

jarednjames said:
Flash is a tricky b*tch. I've found a group that repackage it and provide it for easy install via the terminal straight from them.

Took me ages to sort it out.
XD Well thoes are the not so nice things about ubuntu and if you can't figure certain things out using ubuntu can be a nightmare.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
XD Well thoes are the not so nice things about ubuntu and if you can't figure certain things out using ubuntu can be a nightmare.

I love it. I like the challenge.

Sorry mugs, totally hijacked this.

You still need help or is it sorted? Did you try to find the setting I mentioned?

Alt+enter will also toggle between maximized and windowed and F11 will take some apps like IE fullscreen.

1. Why am I unable to access the Start menu on my computer?

There could be several reasons for this issue. Your computer may have a virus or malware, your Start menu may be corrupted, or there may be a problem with your computer's settings. It is also possible that your computer is experiencing hardware issues or that there is a problem with the Windows operating system.

2. How can I fix the issue of not being able to access the Start menu?

First, try restarting your computer as this can sometimes resolve the issue. If that doesn't work, try running a virus scan to check for any malicious software. You can also try using the Windows Troubleshooter tool or resetting your computer's settings. If none of these solutions work, you may need to seek professional assistance.

3. Is there a way to access the Start menu without using the mouse?

Yes, you can use the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Start menu. Alternatively, you can press the CTRL + ESC keys together to open the Start menu. You can also use voice commands if you have enabled them on your computer.

4. Can I customize the Start menu on my computer?

Yes, you can customize the Start menu by right-clicking on it and selecting "Properties." From there, you can choose which items appear on the Start menu and how they are displayed. You can also resize the Start menu and change its color and background.

5. How can I prevent this issue from happening in the future?

To prevent future issues with accessing the Start menu, it is important to regularly update your computer's operating system and security software. You should also be cautious when downloading files or clicking on links from unknown sources, as these can lead to malware infections. It is also a good idea to regularly clean up your computer's files and clear out any unnecessary programs.