Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I cannot believe that

1. May 31, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

the national geographic channel could show such a crappy documentary. :mad:

I just saw "extraterrestrial" and it sucked. for those of you who haven't seen it, they give predictions about ecology on alien planets that is totally stupid..

they had small organisms that were yellow and odd-looking (I can't remember what they were called) they said in the second stage of their life, that they all group together into a population. except, they don't call it a population..they call it a new organism which is just a cloud of small organisms. this was a "super killer" they were extremely dangerous. when they deour another species (which is supposed to be the most intellegent species on that planet) they sprout out of it into a flower. then, the flower releases spores that are said to be new bodies in the first stage..

I'm not going to list every ecological flaw in this...

Anyone else see this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2005 #2
    Fortunately.. NO!

4. May 31, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm glad to hear you didn't like it, yomamma. I asked someone to tape it for me and she wasn't able to, so I was feeling bummed that I missed it.

But the thing that you mentioned about organisms grouping together to form a new super-organism.. hmm.. I don't think it's all that implausible because, if I'm not mistaken, that's what a portuguese man o' war* "jellyfish" is - it's not one specific creature - it's several different organisms working together as a colony, each having different roles.

*weird purple

5. May 31, 2005 #4
    This is true. I think a corral reef is an example.

6. May 31, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

but a coral reef is not a single organism

7. May 31, 2005 #6
    Maybe not a coral reef, but I know there are some organisms that do have that behavior.

8. May 31, 2005 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

organism= a living thing that uses organs to perform functions that keep it alive. several animals is not the same thing as several organs. unless these animals combine into stomachs and lungs...it is not an orannism...

9. May 31, 2005 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Physalia physalis: of course, no one cares, but...

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/bluebottle.htm

10. May 31, 2005 #9
    It sounds like they have taken Dictyostelium discoideum as an example.

11. May 31, 2005 #10
    Not if the individuals cannot survive biologically on their own.

12. May 31, 2005 #11
    they recently did the same thing on the discovery channel. looks like ng ripped off their show lol, but i bet they didnt have big names like george lucas, stephen hawking and michio kaku lol

13. May 31, 2005 #12

matthyaouw

Gold Member

If I'm not mistaken, cellular slime molds aggregate to form a colony of cells at certain points in their life cycle, but are fully capable of living separately.

14. May 31, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh dear...from your description, I wonder if I should dare look in the biology forum to see what sorts of topics and questions have come up after the airing of that. :uhh:

15. May 31, 2005 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. May 31, 2005 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I thought the flying whale in the commercial was cute.

17. May 31, 2005 #16

JamesU

Gold Member

but they can

18. May 31, 2005 #17

matthyaouw

Gold Member

An organism needn't have organs. Wikipedia define an organism as "an assembly of molecules that influence each other in such a way that they function as a more or less stable whole and have properties of life."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organism

19. May 31, 2005 #18

JamesU

Gold Member

this blob of species did not perform those functions. each one consisted of argans and performed it's own functios, without really iinteracting with the surrounding bodies

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?