I cannot work out constants a and b --

In summary, by using the given information of v = ay + by^2, and the velocities at 1.5 mm and 3.0 mm from the surface, two equations with two unknowns (a and b) can be set up and solved for. However, initially there was a mistake in multiplying b by y instead of y^2, but it has been corrected.
tosingoodnessamao
Homework Statement
If the velocity v of the air in a boundary layer having a dynamic viscosity of 18 × 10−6
kg/ms is given in terms of the distance y from the surface by:
v = ay + by^2
where a and b are constants, calculate the surface shear stress if at 1.5 mm from the surface
the velocity is 75 m/s, and at 3.0 mm from the surface it is 105 m/s.

I know that a is the shear strain/rate and i need to times it by the dynamic viscosity but i really cannot work out a and b.

* update - realised that I forgot to square the value for y when multiplying by b.
Relevant Equations
shear stress = (shear strain/rate) x du/dy
75 = (1.5 x 10^-3)a + (1.5 x 10^-3)b
105 = (3 x 10^-3)a + (3 x 10^-3)b

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given three things:
(1) v = ay + by^2 where a and b are constants
(2) at 1.5 mm from the surface the velocity is 75 m/s
(3) at 3.0 mm from the surface the velocity is 105 m/s.

From these, you should be able to set up two equations with two unknowns and solve them for a and b. Have you tried that?

Likes tosingoodnessamao
Two equations with two unknowns. Have you tried solving them?

Likes tosingoodnessamao
phyzguy said:
You are given three things:
(1) v = ay + by^2 where a and b are constants
(2) at 1.5 mm from the surface the velocity is 75 m/s
(3) at 3.0 mm from the surface the velocity is 105 m/s.

From these, you should be able to set up two equations with two unknowns and solve them for a and b. Have you tried that?
Yes finally found the unnowns a and b because initially I kept multiplying b by y rather than y^2 which was my mistake.

Mayhem said:
Two equations with two unknowns. Have you tried solving them?
Yes I have managed to solve them now I recognised my mistake.

1. What are constants a and b?

Constants a and b are numerical values that remain the same throughout a scientific experiment or equation. They are typically used to represent fixed quantities such as physical properties or mathematical coefficients.

2. Why is it important to determine constants a and b?

Determining constants a and b is important because they can provide valuable information about the relationship between variables in an experiment or equation. They can also help to make predictions and draw conclusions about the data being studied.

3. How do I calculate constants a and b?

The method for calculating constants a and b will vary depending on the specific experiment or equation. In general, they can be determined through data analysis and mathematical calculations. It may also be necessary to use previous knowledge or established values in order to determine the constants.

4. What if I cannot work out constants a and b?

If you are having trouble determining constants a and b, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or mentor for guidance. It is also important to carefully review the data and any relevant equations to ensure that all variables have been accounted for.

5. Can constants a and b change?

No, constants a and b are fixed values and should not change throughout an experiment or equation. However, it is possible for different experiments or equations to have different values for constants a and b, as they are dependent on the specific variables and conditions being studied.