Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't believe it

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't believe it!!!

We're finally getting rain!!!!

Here in Seattle, we've only had a quarter inch in all of August-July-and-June!

I swear, when we heard it coming down my cat actually asked to go outside. She came in about 10 minutes later and she was happy and wet (a Seattle cat, to the bone!).

I should add, whenever she comes in from the rain we go through a ritual cat-drying massage with a towel that she loves...so maybe that's why she doesn't mind getting a little wet.

Now, 'scuse me, I have to go outside and roll in it :biggrin:...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2
    Re: I can't believe it!!!

Lucky, you. In NJ, we have been having constant rain.

Today is the first hot day of the summer.

EDIT: I am also trying to teach my kitty "human-speak."

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Give me back my weather!!!!! We have been getting all your rain and more.

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wish I could, I love the rain (one of the reasons I choose to live here :smile:).

As has been discussed on other threads, Seattle smashed an all-time high temp record this summer - old record 100 F, new record 103 F. The hovering-around-100F temps went for several days...and it didn't cool much at night! Now keep in mind that only about 15% of households here have air conditioning.

Full disclosure: yes, I have a heat pump (erm...run it backwards and it's an air conditioner :smile:), and I'm so, so happy about that this summer!

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Last Tueday, my friend and his neighbour were out in their backwards using their snowshovels to push rain out of their flooded yards for an hour as the rain pounded them, that's how hard it's been raining here.

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

8. Aug 11, 2009 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We've had a miserable summer with the worst fleas I've ever seen. (not just me - I went to the pet store this weekend and the flea treatment aisle was just about wiped out). Some rain would be so nice to drown some of those genetically superior Advantage/Frontline-resistant super suckers!

On the bright side, I'm looking forward to my Las Vegas trip Thursday and taunting the 105 degree F heat from the heavily air conditioned hotel room. :)

9. Aug 11, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's good to hear, Lisab! We have have been dry lately less a very brief [10 minute] rainfall about a week ago. And as you know this has been a record-breaking summer for us as well here in Oregon. In July we broke maximum temp records as well as the number of days and consecutive days over 90F, and over 100F.

The fire danger is down a bit from a couple of weeks ago when we reached 108F and 15% humidity in some areas, but I will be glad to see some real rain.

I thought this was interesting: Average, observed, and deviation from normal, precipitation.
    http://www.srh.noaa.gov/rfcshare/precip_analysis_new.php [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Aug 11, 2009 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Lucky bastard! I was using my snow shovel to push snow out of my yard. Try living in Alberta for a while. :tongue:

11. Aug 11, 2009 #10

You were pushing snow last Tuesday? Which part of Alberta are you in? Mind, I had to close my windows last week at night and wanted to turn the fireplace on, but no snow. Not yet. Bite your tongue.

12. Aug 11, 2009 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Okay, you caught me. It was hail, not snow. I'm near Calgary.
    You're a fellow Albertan? What area are you in?

13. Aug 11, 2009 #12

North of Edmonton. :) I heard about your hail. We haven't had a good bout of that here yet.

14. Aug 11, 2009 #13

Danger

Gold Member

Well, you have a couple of PF friends in the area. Both Shawn and Scorpa are up there in Edmonchuck.
    We seem to have a weather trade-off. You get the tornados, and we get the hail. All in all, I'd rather skip the whole matter and be sipping margueritas in the Camans. :biggrin:

edit: Oh, who the hell am I trying to kid? I mean guzzling margueritas...

15. Aug 11, 2009 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can keep your rain! Please! I don't know what the weather was like the two weeks I was gone, but it's still raining since I've returned. And, now we're starting to get some heat, so it's humid and very sticky. I suspect it's been raining a lot while gone too, because my lawn isn't the only one overgrown right now.

16. Aug 11, 2009 #15

Any one who wants to is more than welcome to send some rain to SoCal. I will make sure it is well taken care of and gets all the margaritas it wants.

17. Aug 11, 2009 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I second that. I love for a good thunderstorm to come through. Wouldn't that be great?

18. Aug 11, 2009 #17

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We came home to lightning and a thunderstorm yesterday evening. We've still have more rain than is healthy for many of our plants. But apparently, in our region, the apple crop is doing quite well! The heavy rains and perhaps cool weather seem to have reduced the annoying insects like Japanese beetles. Perhaps the grubs just drowned.

Meanwhile - Parts of Texas are having the worst drought since the 1950's.
    http://drought.unl.edu/DM/DM_south.htm [Broken]

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/us/12drought.html

Lake Travis near Austin is down about 30 feet and the Pedernales river is bone dry.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/22/eveningnews/main5181114.shtml

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2009/08/10/story2.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  19. Aug 11, 2009 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay. I'm blowing really hard at the storm clouds. I managed to get half the lawn mowed after work before the sky opened up again.

20. Aug 11, 2009 #19

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be nice if it wasn't 90 degree rain. :frown:

21. Aug 11, 2009 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Maybe not quite so hard next time, so the poor guy can finish the job... :uhh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook