What is the magnitude and direction of the second force vector in this scenario?

• Thread starter LuvIz4ever
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two force vectors, one pointing due east and the other unknown. The resultant of the two vectors is 400 Newtons and points along the east-west line. The answer in the book states that the unknown vector is 200 N of East and 600 N of west, but this does not make sense because it would involve a north-south component. The expert confirms that the answer in the book is most likely incorrect and explains the correct solution. The correct answer is that the unknown vector is 200 N of east and 600 N of west, with no north-south component.
LuvIz4ever
I can't figur this out!

Now i got the answer to this problem but i am so confused at this one thing... how is it that the answer is 200 N of East and 600 N of west

the question is

A force vector F1 points due east with a magnitude of 200 Newtons and a second force F2 is added to F1. The resultant of the two vectors has a magnitude of 400 Newtons and points along the East and west line. Find the magnitude and direction of F2 note that there are 2 answers.

My question is I know the answers 2oo east and 6oo west but why north of east or north of west.

Physics news on Phys.org
LuvIz4ever said:
how is it that the answer is 200 N of East and 600 N of west
I suspect that the N stands for Newtons, not north.

Thanks But...

Actually in the answer book it tells me it is North... I think it is weird though becuase of the fact that it has nothing about North.. in the question

The answer in your book must be wrong. You have an initial vector pointing along the east-west line. If you add to it a vector with any component at all in the north-south direction, the resultant cannot possibly be entirely along the east-west line. I suspect the Doc is absolutely right.

... I figured that... thanks! sooooo! Much!

simply put, there is 200 going "right" and 600 going "left" add 200 + (-600) leads to a net of 400, and this 400 is along EW or as most would say x-axis..

yw

1. Why can't I figure this out?

There can be a variety of reasons why you may struggle to figure something out. It could be due to a lack of understanding, not having enough information, or a complex problem. It's important to take a step back, gather all the available information, and approach the problem in a systematic way.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Problem-solving is a skill that can be developed and improved over time. Some ways to improve your problem-solving skills include practicing regularly, breaking down problems into smaller parts, seeking help or advice from others, and being open to different approaches and solutions.

3. Is there a specific method or strategy for figuring things out?

Yes, there are various problem-solving methods and strategies that can help you figure things out. Some common techniques include trial and error, brainstorming, deductive or inductive reasoning, and using visual aids or diagrams. It's important to find a method that works best for the specific problem you are trying to solve.

4. How can I stay motivated when I can't figure something out?

It's normal to feel frustrated and demotivated when you can't figure something out. One way to stay motivated is to remind yourself of the importance and potential impact of finding a solution. You can also take breaks, seek support from others, and celebrate small successes along the way.

5. What should I do if I still can't figure this out?

If you have tried various strategies and still can't figure something out, it may be helpful to seek help from others. This could be a colleague, a mentor, or a subject matter expert. Sometimes having a fresh perspective or guidance can make all the difference in finding a solution.