I cant figure out the answer to this question

• Thread starter aparra2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, I think that the distance of an object does play a role in how quickly it falls towards the Earth.
aparra2
Does gravitational acceleration g vary with distance, mass, size of the object?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? What do you mean by "distance of the object"?

I think that acceleration has nothing to do wit mass but i has to do with distance and time because g is found by dividing 2d/t squared. BUt size doesn't matter and mass only matter when talking about force right?

aparra2 said:
I think that acceleration has nothing to do wit mass but i has to do with distance and time because g is found by dividing 2d/t squared. BUt size doesn't matter and mass only matter when talking about force right?

Are you sure that mass has nothing to do with acceleration?? Double check your work.

Last edited:
ok maybe i was wrong mass does have to do with the acceleration bc acelleration is the force divided by the mass but.But does the size of the size of the object dosent matter. My reasoning tell me that, let's say u have a cube of 10mx20x30 meters of aluminum and also a ball of steel the size of a ping pong ball they both have the same acceleration of gravity when they are both subjected to free fall test

For an object accelerating towards a mass, no mass doesn't matter (i think i read your question wrong sorry). Any mass, no matter how big or small will always accelerate at the same speed.

The acceleration of that object depends on the mass it is accelerating to and how far it is from the mass' center. There is an equation to figure out how fast an object accelerates near a mass. See if you can figure it out. Hint, it is related to G*m*m/r^2.

Last edited:
aparra2 said:

You are correct that the acceleration of an object does not depend on mass or size (for the latter, neglecting air resistance).

The actual value of g does decrease as we move further up away from the Earth's surface. However, this decrease is negligible if the distance moved up is small in comparison with the Earth's surface.

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Improving problem-solving skills takes practice. Start by breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. Use logical reasoning and critical thinking to identify potential solutions. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from others or use online resources to learn new problem-solving techniques.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, take a step back and clear your mind. Sometimes, taking a break and coming back to the problem with a fresh perspective can help. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking assistance from someone else.

3. How can I stay motivated when I can't figure out the answer to a question?

It can be frustrating when you can't figure out the answer to a question, but remember that every problem is an opportunity to learn. Try setting smaller, achievable goals for yourself and celebrate your progress. You can also try working with a study group or seeking support from a mentor or teacher.

4. Why is it important to keep trying even when I can't figure out the answer?

It's important to keep trying because problem-solving is a valuable skill that is needed in many aspects of life. By persisting through difficult problems, you are building resilience and developing critical thinking skills that will benefit you in the long run. Additionally, every attempt at solving a problem, even if it is unsuccessful, can provide valuable insights and knowledge.

5. What can I do to prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future?

To prevent getting stuck on a problem in the future, it's important to continuously practice problem-solving. Set aside time to work on challenging problems regularly and seek out opportunities to apply your problem-solving skills in different contexts. Additionally, constantly seeking new knowledge and learning new techniques can help expand your problem-solving abilities.