1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't get the hang of those graphs!

1. Dec 3, 2003 #1
    I have this maths assignment and the first part I can't do. I've been searching the net for help until I found this site so hopefully you smarties can help me.
    I was given a dispacement time graph and from it I have to find when velocity was greatest and create a velocity time graph from the displacement time graph. HOW?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2003 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Velocity is the change in position over time.

What component of a position/time graph could you extract that from?

4. Dec 3, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you posted this under "calculus", I presume you know that velocity is the derivative of the position function. You should also know that the derivative is the slope of the tangent line.

Okay- greatest velocity means greatest derivative means steepest tangent line.

5. Dec 5, 2003 #4
    I found out how to do it today when I discussed it with a friend. I was just looking for a more complicated answer then what the answer actually was. I thought there was some weird way I hadn't learnt yet to find the answer like a different process that makes the answer more exact but I was wrong. I always do that and then realise that the answer was simple all along. I'm crazy. But your info still helped me so thanks a lot you guys and sorry to bother you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?