Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't get the hang of those graphs!

1. Dec 3, 2003 #1
    I have this maths assignment and the first part I can't do. I've been searching the net for help until I found this site so hopefully you smarties can help me.
    I was given a dispacement time graph and from it I have to find when velocity was greatest and create a velocity time graph from the displacement time graph. HOW?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2003 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Velocity is the change in position over time.

What component of a position/time graph could you extract that from?

4. Dec 3, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you posted this under "calculus", I presume you know that velocity is the derivative of the position function. You should also know that the derivative is the slope of the tangent line.

Okay- greatest velocity means greatest derivative means steepest tangent line.

5. Dec 5, 2003 #4
    I found out how to do it today when I discussed it with a friend. I was just looking for a more complicated answer then what the answer actually was. I thought there was some weird way I hadn't learnt yet to find the answer like a different process that makes the answer more exact but I was wrong. I always do that and then realise that the answer was simple all along. I'm crazy. But your info still helped me so thanks a lot you guys and sorry to bother you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?