Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't open Android Studio?

1. Jan 10, 2015 #1
    I have installed the Android Studio but whenever I open it, it says no JDK was found and it told me to install a 32-bit JDK. I'm using Windows 8. But I already have installed JDK and created a path in Environment Variables. In the variable name, I put JAVA_HOME and in the variable value, I put C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40\bin but it still told me to install a 32-bit JDK. What's wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2015 #2

TheDemx27

Gold Member

Perhaps you should be putting it under the C:\Program Files (x86) folder, since it is 32 bit.

4. Jan 10, 2015 #3
    How do I put it there? If I put it there, will it work?

5. Jan 10, 2015 #4

TheDemx27

Gold Member

If you installed a 32 bit jdk, it should already be there. Right now you have JAVA_HOME pointed at the 64 bit jdk. I bet that if you point JAVA_HOME to your 32 bit installation, (which is what android studio apparently needs), then it will work.

6. Jan 10, 2015 #5
    So what do I do now?

7. Jan 10, 2015 #6

TheDemx27

Gold Member

Uh, try starting android studio?

8. Jan 10, 2015 #7

TheDemx27

Gold Member

You might also want to check if you downloaded the Android SDK and that you have pointed the ANDROID_HOME variable to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\. For my setup I have JAVA_HOME pointed to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk[VERSION NUMBER], and ANDROID_HOME set up as above.

9. Jan 11, 2015 #8
    So I changed my variable value for JAVA_HOME and I set up the ANDROID_HOME variable with the above variable value but it says "The environment variable JAVA_HOME with the value of ... doesn't point to a valid JVM installation.

10. Jan 11, 2015 #9
    My PC's operating system is 32 bit, x64-based processor when I checked the computer's properties in the start menu.

11. Jan 11, 2015 #10

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

JAVA_HOME shouldn't point at the bin directory. Set it to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40 instead. Only your PATH variable should point at the bin directory.

12. Jan 12, 2015 #11
    I did as you said but it still won't work, it still says the same thing.

13. Jan 12, 2015 #12
    Are you sure you downloaded the 32-bit version of JDK?

14. Jan 12, 2015 #13
    I'm not sure. What should I do now?

15. Jan 12, 2015 #14

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The same thing as your first post (install a JRE) or post 8 (JVM isn't valid)?

16. Jan 12, 2015 #15
    The environment variable JAVA_HOME with the value C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_40\bin doesn't point to a valid JVM installation.

17. Jan 12, 2015 #16

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your JAVA_HOME value does NOT have the \bin part and it's still telling you that it's not a valid JVM? Have you verified that it's there and hasn't been moved? Also, watch carefully for copying mistakes like missing or extra spaces. I would copy your JAVA_HOME value and enter it directly into your Windows Explorer to make sure that it's correct.

18. Jan 12, 2015 #17
    Okay, you know what? It worked!!! Now I'm waiting for the wizard for downloading Android SDK tools! Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciated it!

19. Jan 12, 2015 #18

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Excellent! :w

20. Jan 12, 2015 #19
    But can you compile and run an android application in android studio?

21. Jan 12, 2015 #20

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I assume that you can but I haven't used it before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook