Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug I can't read threads!

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the past half hour or so whenever I try to open a thread I get an error message saying that it can't download a cookie properly and the below as a header of sorts. When I try to open up PMs I can see the PM but still get the weird looking header (it's shorter though).

If anyone knows what's wrong, please PM me as I probably can't read this thread

EDIT: I can read this thread for some reason, but I'm not convinced of my continued ability to do so

EDIT2: I can actually read all the threads in this section

Code (Text):
    Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Invalid document end at line 2, column 1) in [path]/magpierss/rss_fetch.inc  on line 238

Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 17

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 18

Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 24

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 25

Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Invalid document end at line 2, column 1) in [path]/magpierss/rss_fetch.inc on line 238

Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 17

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 18

Warning: array_slice() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 24

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(265) : eval()'d code on line 25

Warning: MagpieRSS: Failed to parse RSS file. (Invalid document end at line 2, column 1) in [path]/magpierss/rss_fetch.inc on line 238

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There was a problem with RSS feeds. Seems to be fixed now.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. Jun 16, 2010 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah everything's working now. I waited a little bit to post because I figured someone else would have the same problem and complain first, but when that didn't happen I panicked

5. Jun 16, 2010 #4

Evo

Apparently some people had no problems. Odd.

6. Jun 16, 2010 #5
    I had the same problem, and couldn't even open this thread. But now it works fine.

7. Jun 16, 2010 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't think I'd be able to read their thread but if I saw a thread that said 'I can't read threads!' in the title I'd have a good idea what it was talking about :)

8. Jun 16, 2010 #7

Borek

There was few minutes that I had the problem about every second page refresh.

To set cookie server has to exchange information with the browser in form of HTTP headers (this is a protocol restriction) - that means, before any content is sent. Error messages are treated just as a page content - so when they were displayed, server is no longer able to set a cookie. As long as everything works OK it is usually not a problem.

Edit: RSS feeds are source of problems now and then, that's not the first time.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  9. Jun 29, 2010 #8
    It's back. I see what appears to be threads about the issue today, but I am unable to read them. It seems that the more responses a thread has, the more likely it is I'll be able to open it.

10. Jun 29, 2010 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm having trouble opening threads, too. It seems to help a bit if I log out then log back in but maybe that's just coincidence.

11. Jun 29, 2010 #10

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try logging out and back in. That seems to correct some of the problem.

If it persists, I'll reboot PF at 12 noon EDT (1600 GMT).

12. Jun 30, 2010 #11
    The matter has been resolved. Thanks to Astronuc for leadership and attention to this problem!

13. Jun 30, 2010 #12

Borek

Speaking of problems: for the last few days I am getting random database problem screens, I think it have happened at least three times up to now. Last time in about last 10 minutes.

14. Jun 30, 2010 #13

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try logging out and back in, and see if that helps clear up the problem. If it happens again, PM a copy of the database problem screen.

15. Jun 30, 2010 #14

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I get this problem occasionally also. Definitely very random. Refreshing the page seems to fix it for me.

16. Jun 30, 2010 #15

Borek

No need to log out/in, as Borg wrote - just refreshing is usually enough.

17. Jun 30, 2010 #16

Borek

Here you go. Refreshing helped. Unfortunately apart from the message "Database error" there is no additional information.

Each time it happens there is a several seconds lag between me clicking the link and PF displaying error message. Could be what the error message really means is "database timeout".

Now that I think about it, it looks similar to what have happened few months ago. It ended with database HDD being replaced and - IIRC - some additional hurdles.

Attached Files:

18. Jun 30, 2010 #17

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get that every once in a while too. I figured it was just me

19. Jul 1, 2010 #18

Borek

Checked this time - database error message is shown after about 30 seconds, such a round value suggests preset timeout.

20. Jul 1, 2010 #19

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I know that refreshing will fix it temporarily, but I was thinking that logging out and in again may be fix what's causing the error in the first place.

I've had a couple of errors as well.

Is it just viewing threads/posts, or does it occur when posting too?

21. Jul 1, 2010 #20

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Personally, it has only happened to me when attempting to view threads. I don't remember it occuring when posting. It doesn't seem to happen when I select the main PF link at the top or the Get Posts -> Today's Posts link in the menu either.

22. Jul 1, 2010 #21

Borek

Just viweing, so far never happened to me while posting. But then I read much more than post.

23. Jul 1, 2010 #22

Borek

Just viewing, so far never happened to me while posting. But then I read much more than post.

LOL - would you believe it? Database error exactly when submitting THIS answer.

Edit: no, obviously it was not when posting, but when refreshing view after the post was already inserted into the database.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook