I can't seem to keep my Paraffin wax in liquid form

In summary: Sorry about that. I’ll just summarize. Liquid paraffin is used as a drug delivery system. It is a solvent and a lubricant. It is used in eye drops, ear drops, and other drugs. It is also a component of some hot melt adhesives.
Dene
TL;DR Summary
Paraffin lubrication problems.
Hello everyone, I'm trying to make lubrication out of paraffin, this is what I am doing, 1/3 melted paraffin wax, 1/3 paraffin oil, and 1/3 xylene. After melting the wax I add the oil, I then add the oil, mix it well to the correct consistency, I then transfer it to a glass container where I add the xylene. The problem is once it cools it turns to a soft paste. What am I doing incorrectly? The idea was the xylene was the carrying agent that would evaporate quickly and leave the wax lube behind.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You have way to much wax for that amount of solvent.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4925497.html

This paper patent indicates 7.8 grams at 38C maximum solubility of paraffin in 100g xylene.

BoB

Edit: It is a patent not a paper.

Last edited:
Thank you Bob, should I keep the base oil at 7.8 grams also? What I want is the xylene to evaporate and keep the wax behind. I have hexane also, could I use this instead of xylene?

Hexane will work a little bit better per the linked document. Cyclohexane is way better.

Both the solid and liquid forms are paraffins so I doubt you will get 7.8g of each to dissolve. Please note that dissolving that amount requires it to be heated to 38C.

What are you attempting to lubricate?

BoB

I am will be lubricating chains, the wax is good as a water and dirt repellent, and the lubrication is very good.
The idea was to melt the wax add the base oil to make the paraffin wax not too crumbly when it drys on the chain. The hexane was just a carrying agent which evaporates quickly once applied.

Do you think i should just melt the wax and add the hexane? The wax i am using has a very low oil content.
So by adding the base oil, which i would use paraffin oil it would loosen the wax and would coat the chain bett
er.

Thanks again

Dene

Dene said:
Summary: Paraffin lubrication problems.

Hello everyone, I'm trying to make lubrication out of paraffin, this is what I am doing, 1/3 melted paraffin wax, 1/3 paraffin oil, and 1/3 xylene. After melting the wax I add the oil, I then add the oil, mix it well to the correct consistency, I then transfer it to a glass container where I add the xylene. The problem is once it cools it turns to a soft paste. What am I doing incorrectly? The idea was the xylene was the carrying agent that would evaporate quickly and leave the wax lube behind.
The described process resembles how paste-waxes are made.

I think your ambient temperature is low and that solidifies the wax .. try dipping in hot water before use

Last edited by a moderator:
Dene said:
TL;DR Summary: Paraffin lubrication problems.

There is really no such thing as "paraffin oil." "Paraffin" is simply British usage for kerosene. As lamp oil or jet fuel. Now widely adopted in the US lamp oil business where it means deodorized kerosene.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G
That sounds like a LOT of oil! I would greatly reduce the amount of oil if I used it at all. A resin as is used in hot melt adhesives would be a better admixture in my opinion. And be sure to use a microcrystalline wax. It sticks better and won’t flake off as much.

I think we’re necroposting again!

Last edited:

1. Why does my Paraffin wax keep solidifying?

Paraffin wax solidifies at room temperature because it has a high melting point, usually between 120-160 degrees Fahrenheit. This means that unless the temperature of the wax is kept above its melting point, it will solidify.

2. How can I keep my Paraffin wax in liquid form?

The best way to keep Paraffin wax in liquid form is to use a heat source, such as a wax warmer or double boiler, to keep the wax at a consistent temperature above its melting point. This will prevent it from solidifying.

3. Can I add anything to my Paraffin wax to keep it in liquid form?

Yes, you can add a small amount of mineral oil or vegetable oil to your Paraffin wax to lower its melting point and make it easier to keep in liquid form. However, be careful not to add too much oil as it can affect the properties of the wax.

4. Why does my Paraffin wax turn cloudy when it solidifies?

When Paraffin wax solidifies, it can sometimes become cloudy due to the formation of small crystals. This is a natural process and does not affect the quality of the wax. The cloudiness will disappear once the wax is melted again.

5. Can I reuse my Paraffin wax once it has solidified?

Yes, you can reuse Paraffin wax multiple times as long as it is clean and free of any debris. Simply melt the wax again and strain it through a cheesecloth to remove any impurities. However, after multiple uses, the wax may start to lose its effectiveness and should be replaced.