I can't solve questions related to conservation of momentum

In summary, the person is struggling with the concept of conservation of momentum, particularly when it involves center of mass and collisions. They understand the concepts but have trouble applying them to specific problems. They wonder if they are missing something or if conservation of momentum is actually difficult.
Capt1801
I'm a passout from school taking a gap year. I find the concept of conservation of momentum exceedingly difficult. Each question - and sometimes each part of a question, if a question has different parts - requires us to choose different systems each time. I look at the solution, and think I have it now, and then I move to the next question only to find that I can't solve it. It seems as though questions from this chapter (which involves centre of mass and collisions too) confuse me. I just can't locate the doubt - I don't understand where I'm going wrong. I know why momentum is conserved. I know that in the absence of an external force, the velocity of the centre of mass is zero if it was initially at rest. I know the concepts, and understand them. And yet, when I get to the questions, I can't solve even one without getting the wrong answer at least once. I choose a particular system, equate the final and initial momentum and then get the wrong answer. Then I find I missed something in the system I chose, or chose the wrong system altogether.

Energy conservation is pretty simple as compared to this. My question is: is conservation of momentum actually so difficult or do I find it difficult because I'm missing something?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that you find conservation of momentum difficult because you are missing something. However, we can't be sure about that based on your vague description of the problems you are asked to solve. Ask about a specific problem using the template for homework questions.

1. Why is conservation of momentum important?

Conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in any physical interaction, the total momentum before the interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. This law helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

2. What is the equation for conservation of momentum?

The equation for conservation of momentum is:

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

Where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1 and v2 are their initial velocities, and v1' and v2' are their final velocities after the interaction.

3. How do I apply conservation of momentum to solve problems?

To apply conservation of momentum, you must first identify the system you are analyzing and determine if it is a closed system. Then, you can use the conservation of momentum equation to set up and solve for unknown variables. Make sure to pay attention to the directions and signs of velocities, as they can affect the outcome of the problem.

4. Can conservation of momentum be violated?

No, conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, it may seem like momentum is not conserved in certain situations due to external forces that are not taken into account. In reality, the total momentum of the closed system is still conserved.

5. What are some real-life examples of conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum can be seen in many everyday situations, such as billiards, collisions between cars, or even throwing a ball. In each of these scenarios, the total momentum before the interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.