I can't solve this at all.

• Thread starter aftershock
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a new homeowner pushing a box at constant velocity while moving in. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.41 and the pushing force is directed downward at an angle (theta) below the horizontal. It is mentioned that there is a certain value of theta where it becomes impossible to move the box, regardless of how large the pushing force is. The conversation also includes an attempt to find this value of theta using P= pushing force, x = theta, m = mass of box, and g = 9.8 or acceleration of gravity. However, it is noted that the weight of the box can be ignored if the pushing force is very large.
aftershock
while moving in, a new homeowner is pushing a box across the floor at constant velocity. the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.41. the pushing force is directed downward at an angle (theta) below the horizontal. when theta is greater than a certain value, it is not possible to move the box, no matter how large the pushing force is.

find that value of theta.

I tried this.

P= pushing force
x = theta
m = mass of box
g= 9.8 or accel of gravity

Pcosx = (Psinx +mg).41

no luck :(

Physics news on Phys.org
aftershock said:
P= pushing force
x = theta
m = mass of box
g= 9.8 or accel of gravity

Pcosx = (Psinx +mg).41

no luck :(

Well you're nearly there. If the pushing force is very large then Psinx >> mg and you can ignore
the weight of the box.

I understand your frustration with being unable to solve this problem. However, it is important to approach it systematically and use the appropriate equations. Let's start by setting up the forces acting on the box. We have the pushing force, P, directed downward at an angle x below the horizontal, and the force of kinetic friction, Fk, acting in the opposite direction. The force of gravity, mg, is also acting downward.

Using Newton's Second Law, we can write the following equation:
ΣF = ma

In this case, the acceleration, a, is zero since the box is moving at a constant velocity. Therefore, we can set ΣF = 0.

Next, we need to break down the forces into their components along the x-axis and y-axis. Along the x-axis, we have:
ΣFx = Pcosx - Fk

Along the y-axis, we have:
ΣFy = Psinx + mg

Since ΣF = 0, we can set ΣFx = 0 and solve for Fk:
Fk = Pcosx

We can then substitute this into our equation for ΣFy and solve for x:
Psinx + mg = Pcosx
sinx + (mg/P) = cosx
x = arccos(sin x + (mg/P))

The critical value of x, where the box will not move, is when Fk = μN, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction and N is the normal force. In this case, the normal force is equal to mg, so we can rewrite this as:
Pcosx = μmg

Substituting this into our equation for x, we get:
x = arccos(sin x + (mg/P)) = arccos(sin x + μm)

Therefore, the critical value of x, or the minimum angle at which the box will not move, is given by:
x = arccos(sin x + μm)

To find the numerical value of x, we need to know the values of P, m, and μ. Once those values are known, we can solve for x using the equation above.

In conclusion, while this problem may seem daunting, it can be solved using Newton's Second Law and breaking down the forces acting on the box. I encourage you to revisit the problem

1. Why can't I solve this problem?

There could be several reasons why you are having difficulty solving a problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concept, not having enough information, or not using the correct methods or tools to solve the problem.

2. What should I do if I can't solve a problem?

If you are struggling to solve a problem, take a step back and try to identify where you are getting stuck. Then, try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or colleague for guidance and clarification.

3. Is it normal to struggle with solving problems?

Yes, it is perfectly normal to struggle with solving problems. In fact, struggling with a problem can lead to a deeper understanding of the concept and can help develop critical thinking skills. It is important to not get discouraged and to keep trying.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, you can practice solving various types of problems and puzzles regularly. You can also try to approach problems from different angles and think creatively. Additionally, seeking feedback and learning from your mistakes can also help improve your problem-solving abilities.

5. What should I do if I am still unable to solve a problem?

If you have tried various methods and still cannot solve a problem, it may be helpful to take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try discussing the problem with others or researching different strategies online. Remember, it is okay to ask for help when needed.